[comp.sys.amiga.applications] ethernet printer sharing

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (04/11/91)

If any of you have a need to share printers amongst
several users in an Amiga ONLY network, this is what
we do.

Syndesis has a new print spool utility that comes with
TSSnet that allows you send files from your machine to
a remote machine on the ethernet and have them dumped to
the printer. The printer can be defined to be par: or prt:
or whatever. You must have set aside a spool area on the
"printer server" amiga for the incoming files to reside
while they are being sent to the physical printer.

Also, we have a regular dot matrix printer that is on the
other local machine. (TSSnet is full peer to peer in this respect)
so we have printers distributed through out our network.
And we can access any one of them from any Amiga.

This software comes with the new release of TSSnet. All you
need in terms of hardware is the A2065 ethernet card and
the cabling. You do not need the AS225 tcp/ip software.

This is example command line we type into the nft window.
NFT=Network File Transfer.

>print t:test.ps moe::

t:test.ps is a postscript file output from pagestream or
ppage. and moe:: is the name of the Amiga that has the
printer attached to it's parallel port. After typing the command
in, the machine without a printer contacts moe:: and sends
it the file t:test.ps   moe:: saves it away in a spool directory
and then copies it to par:

No more switch boxes, runs of large bulky parallel cable.
No more forgetting to switch the printer to the right
machine. It is a bit of investment in hardware and software
but it sure makes life a lot easier.

Oh ya, there are other things you can use the TSSnet software
for besides printer sharing.  But printer sharing is what we
use all the time.

Dale Luck

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (04/14/91)

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>Syndesis has a new print spool utility that comes with
>TSSnet that allows you send files from your machine to
>a remote machine on the ethernet and have them dumped to
>the printer.

(TSSnet is DECnet for the Amiga.)  How about remote printing using
tcp/ip?  I manage printing to unix with scripts using rcp and rsh,
but having a real Amiga device such as lpr: or lp: would be great.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (04/15/91)

In article <jwright.671598084@cfht.hawaii.edu> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>>Syndesis has a new print spool utility that comes with
[...]
>(TSSnet is DECnet for the Amiga.)  How about remote printing using
>tcp/ip?  I manage printing to unix with scripts using rcp and rsh,
>but having a real Amiga device such as lpr: or lp: would be great.

I agree. You can come pretty close to this using CMD, but
there are two problems:

1) Programs such as ProScript can't print to par: when CMD
is redirected to a NFS-mounted partition.

2) There is not a way (that I know of) for CMD to inform
anyone that a file was just 'printed' and what to do with
it.

Now you can go over to your Unix box & set up something like cron to
check every so often & print whatever shows up in a 'spool'
directory...

It would be nice if CMD could be instructed to issue a
command using the filename it just generated, such as:
rsh <hostname> lpr .spool/<spoolname>
-----------------------

For your regular command-line situations, I sure like my Sksh function
replacements for enscript & lpr :^) (Thanks to Steve Koren)

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
                  "Duct Tape is like the Force...
It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it holds the Universe together"

panon@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Paul-Andre Panon) (04/16/91)

In article <2358@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In article <jwright.671598084@cfht.hawaii.edu> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>>(TSSnet is DECnet for the Amiga.)  How about remote printing using
>>tcp/ip?  I manage printing to unix with scripts using rcp and rsh,
>>but having a real Amiga device such as lpr: or lp: would be great.
>
>I agree. You can come pretty close to this using CMD, but
>there are two problems:
>
>2) There is not a way (that I know of) for CMD to inform
>anyone that a file was just 'printed' and what to do with
>it.

Since, with WB2.0, it's possible to have the file system notify a process
when a particular file is changed, I presume you could have CMD write to
a particular file on the amiga, and have an amiga daemon rcp & lpr the file
to your UNIX system (or lpr locally if the Amiga TCP/IP package supports it)
when the file system notifies it that the file was changed.

Then again, maybe you could use named pipes with 1.3 and 2.0.  Have an amiga
daemon open a named pipe and send everything it gets from that pipe to lpr
and have CMD redirect output to that pipe.

Needless to say, I haven't actually done this and the details are left as an
exercise to the reader. :-)

>For your regular command-line situations, I sure like my Sksh function
>replacements for enscript & lpr :^) (Thanks to Steve Koren)
>
>Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
--
      panon@ucs.ubc.ca             or          USERPAP1@UBCMTSG
                                   or          USERPAP1@mtsg.ubc.ca