[comp.sys.amiga.applications] PD/shareware databases for Amiga?

ycs16a03@merrimack.edu (03/24/91)

     Can anyone recommend a good general-purpose PD/shareware database
program for the Amiga?  I'd be using it mostly to keep track of picture
files, but I'd like it to be flexible enough to handle other things too.
(I've also seen one or two programs designed specifically for keeping
track of pictures, but they were rather restricted in what kind of info
you could enter about the picture.)  So basically I need something that
will let me define whatever information fields I want, and can sort the
list according to any field.  Also, the name of an ftp site or Fish disk
where I could obtain this would be a big help.

                                        Thanks in advance,
                                        S.B.

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar23.195450.21493@merrimack.edu>, ycs16a03@merrimack.edu writes:

>      Can anyone recommend a good general-purpose PD/shareware database
> program for the Amiga?  I'd be using it mostly to keep track of picture
> files, but I'd like it to be flexible enough to handle other things too.
> (I've also seen one or two programs designed specifically for keeping
> track of pictures, but they were rather restricted in what kind of info
> you could enter about the picture.)  So basically I need something that
> will let me define whatever information fields I want, and can sort the
> list according to any field.  Also, the name of an ftp site or Fish disk
> where I could obtain this would be a big help.
>
>                                         Thanks in advance,
>                                         S.B.

Me, too!  Please post responses instead of mailing them.  This way all
of us who are looking for such a beast will become knowledgable.

Thanx,

Keith @ PBS

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (03/26/91)

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) writes:
>>      Can anyone recommend a good general-purpose PD/shareware database
>> program for the Amiga?  I'd be using it mostly to keep track of picture
>> files, but I'd like it to be flexible enough to handle other things too.
>> (I've also seen one or two programs designed specifically for keeping
>> track of pictures, but they were rather restricted in what kind of info
>> you could enter about the picture.)  So basically I need something that
>> will let me define whatever information fields I want, and can sort the
>> list according to any field.  Also, the name of an ftp site or Fish disk
>> where I could obtain this would be a big help.
>Me, too!  Please post responses instead of mailing them.  This way all
>of us who are looking for such a beast will become knowledgable.

Well the Comercial Program Micro Fiche Filer + May be what ya need.
But as far as PD.. Ya may be outta Luck.

Ya could allways use Cando/Amigavision to write ya own..   :^)

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

jlong@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (John Long) (04/18/91)

In article <yorkw.669924085@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) writes:
>>>      Can anyone recommend a good general-purpose PD/shareware database
>>> program for the Amiga?  I'd be using it mostly to keep track of picture
>>> files, but I'd like it to be flexible enough to handle other things too.

>Ya could allways use Cando/Amigavision to write ya own..   :^)

That's a good point. When it comes to data base design, the *design* of
the database is the hardest part of the job. Whatever application you use,
you will still be faced with the problem of how to structure and organize
the data! The most high-zoot database program in the world will not be of
any use if you don't know what you want to do.

AmigaVision looks like a definite contender for your need. But is it "PD"?

My (boss's) new 2000 came with AV. But not ARexx. With all the ARexx apps
around, I feel left out. And would if the situation was reversed (ARexx but
not AV).

Commodore, do you mind if we......?

-LongJohn