[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Are there any good PD DB or Spreadsheet programs?

paulb@cbnewsk.att.com (paul.l.bidwell) (03/26/91)

I'm also interested in knowing if there are any decent PD/shareware
database programs.

Also, how about spreadsheets? The only one I've heard about is the
AnalyticCalc on the FF disks, but I've been told it is not very
robust.

I'm running 2.0, so anything would have to be compatible with that.

Paul Bidwell
p.l.bidwell@att.com

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (03/26/91)

paulb@cbnewsk.att.com (paul.l.bidwell) writes:
>Also, how about spreadsheets? The only one I've heard about is the
>AnalyticCalc on the FF disks, but I've been told it is not very
>robust.

Have ys seen SC ? It was just posted to c.s.a.binaries/sources
a few days ago. It's not REAL amig-ish, but it seems to do a good job.
And it's PD.

Just like the UNIX SC program.

I haven't read the manual thourourly, but it looks ok.
seems compentant, but it don't do the Spiffy stuff
people expect spreadsheets to do, (Like Graphs, ect..)

SO if cash is ya Limit, check it out.

ps: it includes the UN*X man pages, so ya may have a problem
reading them. (Use Nroff to print them eh?)

Well only down point i saw was that it was SLOW. (Seemed Slow)
But it was using Curses.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) (03/27/91)

re: analycalc- when I try to get the damn program to run, it tells me "error
64." What the hell does this mean? ive ftp'ed it twice and both times the
program gives me this dumb error.

I bought superbase personal relational database system today... doesnt look
too bad, it'll do what I need it to do anyway. Anyone have experiences
with this? good/bad? warnings? etc? thanks.

u3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (03/27/91)

G'day,

In comp.sys.amiga.applications
paul.l.bidwell (paulb@cbnewsk.att.com ) writes:

> I'm also interested in knowing if there are any decent PD/shareware
> database programs.

  I don't know how good it is but I have heard of the RIM database which
  I believe is a port of a DECUS database.

> Also, how about spreadsheets? The only one I've heard about is the
> AnalyticCalc on the FF disks, but I've been told it is not very
> robust.

  Perhaps we should ask for reviews of it as I have to admit that for an
  Amiga numerical analysis nut it should have a lot of power (FFTs etc).

  I have had mail discussion with the author(I think) Glenn Everhart and
  I was impressed that he tried to help me to learn how to set it up to
  run on my vanilla A1000 (512K usable RAM only).

  I haven't tried to do this since because of other involvements ...

> I'm running 2.0, so anything would have to be compatible with that.
>
> Paul Bidwell
> p.l.bidwell@att.com

  Alas I do not have AmigaDOS 2.0 (& wonder if I ever will on my A1000).

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo

rbw@lanl.gov (Bob Walker) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.232805.1037@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) writes:

> re: analycalc- when I try to get the damn program to run, it tells me "error
> 64." What the hell does this mean? ive ftp'ed it twice and both times the
> program gives me this dumb error.

I believe analyticalc is a FORTRAN program -- Error 64 indicates
insufficient memory to execute.

I don't know how much memory it takes to run -- sorry.

Bob Walker, LANL

sdl@lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (03/28/91)

AnalytiCalc has a lot of features, but on my 68000-based Amiga 2000,
it is slow, and flaky.  It seems to crash for no good reason--which is
why I stopped using it.  Each new release of AnalytiCalc seemed to
introduce new bugs.

AnalytiCalc seems to have incompatibilities with ConMan so that
keyboard input is often not accepted properly.  (For example, with the
latest release, when saving a spreadsheet to a file, it prompts you
for the rows and columns to save but begins saving before you even
type an answer to its prompts.)  And its user interface is pretty
poor--no Intuition support.  If it had an ARexx port, which enabled
you to send it ARexx commands to select a cell and test which cell is
currently selected, it would be much more usable.

--
Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) (03/29/91)

I ported the UNIX SC to the amiga using my curses library.
Curses is undergoing a massive change. It will run
via serial lines, and use the console device for normal
stuff.

I will re-make SC and post it when curses is done.
It should be much faster like this and far more versatile,
allowing people to run spreadsheets on a terminal connected
to the serial line.

Simon J Raybould    (sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk)            //              {o.o}
                                                    \X/AMIGA           \-/
British Telecom Fulcrum, Fordrough Lane, Birmingham, B9 5LD, ENGLAND.
--

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (03/30/91)

>I ported the UNIX SC to the amiga using my curses library.
>Curses is undergoing a massive change. It will run
>via serial lines, and use the console device for normal
>stuff.
>I will re-make SC and post it when curses is done.
>It should be much faster like this and far more versatile,
>allowing people to run spreadsheets on a terminal connected
>to the serial line.

One thing i noticed with the program is that if the stack ain't big enough
it'll exit, but leave the black Curses screen open.
(I THINK that;s what happened. :^)

How about adding an Arexx port?
:^)

It'd be MEGA COOL, and 100x more usefull!.
.

--

Eric Edwards <C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU> (03/31/91)

In Message-ID: <SIE.91Mar29114205@lister.fulcrum.bt.co.uk>
          sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) said:
>I ported the UNIX SC to the amiga using my curses library.
>Curses is undergoing a massive change. It will run
>via serial lines, and use the console device for normal
>stuff.

Is this available via ftp?  I think I remember an earlier post that said
was available at ab20 but I couldn't find it there.
It is, I presume, easier to use than Analyticalc.  There's a lot of power in
that program but I found it much simpler to just punt and go the lab on
campus and use Excel.

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

jlong@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (John Long) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Mar26.232805.1037@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) writes:

>re: analycalc- when I try to get the damn program to run, it tells me "error
>64." What the hell does this mean? ive ftp'ed it twice and both times the
>program gives me this dumb error.

Well, at least you got your money's worth!   :^)

>I bought superbase personal relational database system today... doesnt look
>too bad, it'll do what I need it to do anyway. Anyone have experiences
>with this? good/bad? warnings? etc? thanks.

Have used it. Early version. Long ago. It is good stuff. Seriously impressed,
I was. Comes with a BASIC like programming language... I understand that it
has been improved considerably. Does it still use that stupid "dongle"?

-LongJohn