[comp.sys.amiga.applications] help with PasTeX on ab20? beginner

widyono@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Daniel Widyono) (04/18/91)

Haaaalp!  :|

I've downloaded PasTeX from ab20, and can't do much.  I've downloaded
enough pk-fonts, etc etc. and I can tex-ify docs. but only certain ones.
I.E.  I can't get docs from my school's Unix system tex'ed, nor can I
use the flibs I generated with flib.  Also, I've had trouble using
gf2pk - it says it can't find the gf file (I got a batch off of one
of the Stanford sites.)  ugh!  I have an A2000 w/2M fast 1M chip, 40MB HD,
if it helps (prob. not).  ShowDVI won't find the files (yes, I read the
manual... all manuals I've read, all files I've examined, ALL).

fontlib (dir) has lots of PK%04d format files I made with flib.
pk (dir) has only 83/%s.83pk left, which is the only size SDVI can find
  anymore.  I've tried fooling around with ShowDVI.fnt in config (dir)
  to no avail.

Right now, it's taking up at least 15% of my HD space, and I'm prepared
to scrap it (I REALLY DO want to learn and use TeX, esp. for AMSTeX's
capabilities which I also have).

One other thing... where can I find line*.*pk and logo*.*pk ?

ADtanksVANCE ;),

Daniel Widyono   BioEngineering UG   CSE  Look, MA, NO .sig!

hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (04/18/91)

In article <41426@netnews.upenn.edu> widyono@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Daniel Widyono) writes:

>Haaaalp!  :|
>
>I've downloaded PasTeX from ab20, and can't do much.  I've downloaded
>enough pk-fonts, etc etc. and I can tex-ify docs. but only certain ones.
>I.E.  I can't get docs from my school's Unix system tex'ed, nor can I
>use the flibs I generated with flib.  Also, I've had trouble using
>gf2pk - it says it can't find the gf file (I got a batch off of one
>of the Stanford sites.)  ugh!  I have an A2000 w/2M fast 1M chip, 40MB HD,
>if it helps (prob. not).  ShowDVI won't find the files (yes, I read the
>manual... all manuals I've read, all files I've examined, ALL).

I will try to help you, but it's very difficult. Your explanation
of your problems are a little short.

gftopk: Can't help. That's not from me. But our UNIX manual says:
----
NAME
     gftopk - convert generic font files to packed font files

SYNOPSIS
     gftopk [-v] gf_file_name [pk_file_name]

DESCRIPTION
     The gf filename  on  the  command  line  must  be  complete.
     Because  the  resolution  is part of the extension, it would
     not make sense to add on a default extension as is done with
     TeX  or  dvi-reading  software. The pk file name defaults to
     the same stripped name as the gf file, and it is  placed  in
     the  current  working  directory  with  the  `pk'  extension
     replacing `gf'. For example, the input file  io.300gf  would
     become io.300pk.

     Unless the gf filename begins  with  a  /  (absolute  path),
     gftopk  will  search the environment variable GFFONTS for an
     input directory path,  and  will  default  to  the  TEXFONTS
     directory  path  if  GFFONTS  does not exist.  It runs abso-
     lutely silently, unless the -v flag is set.
----
That's the UNIX decription, but the AMIGA version shouldn't be
quite different. It seems you should try to use an absolute path
(with a ':') for the gf-file.

ShowDVI: 'Won't find the files'. What files? The DVI-file or the fonts?
  Call ShowDVI with the '-s' option and send me the logfile 'ShowDVI.log'.
  Than I will try to help you.

>fontlib (dir) has lots of PK%04d format files I made with flib.
>pk (dir) has only 83/%s.83pk left, which is the only size SDVI can find
>  anymore.  I've tried fooling around with ShowDVI.fnt in config (dir)
>  to no avail.

Have you set up the 'TeX:' assign correctly? Use you the '-a' option
of the driver? Have you set the ENV: vars FLIBDIR or PKDIR?

>Right now, it's taking up at least 15% of my HD space, and I'm prepared
>to scrap it (I REALLY DO want to learn and use TeX, esp. for AMSTeX's
>capabilities which I also have).

I really want to help you. But you must send me more informations!

In your case, I need the setting of the PasTeX ENV: vars, the
*.fnt files (if you have changed they) your logfiles of the drivers
gerenated with the '-s' option (very usefull) and may be a
'dir TeX: all' and the '.tex' file which causes the problems.
A 'flib tv' of your fontlibs (or one of them) might also be good.

>One other thing... where can I find line*.*pk and logo*.*pk ?
>
>ADtanksVANCE ;),

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George A. Withers) (04/20/91)

(Daniel Widyono) writes:
>gf2pk - it says it can't find the gf file (I got a batch off of one

One thought on this is that it is searching the TeX Fonts directory.  I
did all my
METAFONT operations from TeX:Fonts (where TEXFONTS is) and it worked
out fine.  After the gftopk I just moved the pk file and left the TFM
and
deleted the gf.

George

 George A. Withers, Jr.                  |  "There is no life I know to compare
 Digital Equipment Corp., 97 Piper Road  |   with pure imagination.  Living
 Acton, MA   01720   AT&T: 508.264.2339  |   there you'll be free .. if you
 Addr: withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com       |   truly wish to be."  - W. Wonka
      DISCLAIMER:  "Don't look at me!  I didn't do it!" (Krusty the Clown)