[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Networking Info Needed

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (04/16/91)

I am looking for information on how to network an Amiga with a PC.
I just picked up a 3com 3C501 Ethernet board, for the PC I plan
on getting soon.  I know that C= has an Ethernet board available
that will fit my 2000, but I know nothing about making a network
actually work.

I would like to avoid having to buy outrageously expensive software
just so the machines can talk to each other.  I have heard about
TCP/IP, but was under the impression it was more of a protocol than
an application.  Can I access files in both directions with just
this?  Do the computers have to be running UNIX to use it?

If there's any simple way to just have the systems talk to each
other, whether it means being able to open a 'virtual screen' or
command line to the other system, or just do simple file transfers,
I'm all ears.  I'm completely new to this!

Thanks in advance for any info.

				Philip
				pk@wet.uucp
				{cca.ucsf.edu,hoptoad,claris}!wet!pk

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (04/18/91)

In article <2310@wet.UUCP> pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:

>I am looking for information on how to network an Amiga with a PC.
>I just picked up a 3com 3C501 Ethernet board, for the PC I plan
>on getting soon.  I know that C= has an Ethernet board available
>that will fit my 2000, but I know nothing about making a network
>actually work.
>
>I would like to avoid having to buy outrageously expensive software
>just so the machines can talk to each other.  I have heard about
>TCP/IP, but was under the impression it was more of a protocol than
>an application.  Can I access files in both directions with just
>this?  Do the computers have to be running UNIX to use it?
>
>If there's any simple way to just have the systems talk to each
>other, whether it means being able to open a 'virtual screen' or
>command line to the other system, or just do simple file transfers,
>I'm all ears.  I'm completely new to this!
>
>Thanks in advance for any info.
>

>				Philip
>				pk@wet.uucp
>				{cca.ucsf.edu,hoptoad,claris}!wet!pk

	Why bother with the PC if you have an A2000 etc. Get the bridge
board.

	I've wanted to network my Amiga's as well. A number of years ago
MIT had a PD TCP/IP called "PCIP". It had some relationship with a com-
mercial product marketed by FTP Software. PCIP worked with the 3C501 Ethernet
board. This board was inexpensive back then and I'm sure it's dirt cheap
now. Have no idea if PCIP is still around though. Oh well, this would cer-
taintly be an inexpensive way to go!

				Jeff

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr17.220548.1443@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> jdickson@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>In article <2310@wet.UUCP> pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:
>>

>>I am looking for information on how to network an Amiga with a PC.
>>I just picked up a 3com 3C501 Ethernet board, for the PC I plan
>>on getting soon.  I know that C= has an Ethernet board available
>>that will fit my 2000, but I know nothing about making a network
>>actually work.
>>
>	Why bother with the PC if you have an A2000 etc. Get the bridge
>board.
>
>	I've wanted to network my Amiga's as well. A number of years ago
>MIT had a PD TCP/IP called "PCIP". It had some relationship with a com-
>mercial product marketed by FTP Software. PCIP worked with the 3C501 Ethernet
>board. This board was inexpensive back then and I'm sure it's dirt cheap
>now. Have no idea if PCIP is still around though. Oh well, this would cer-
>taintly be an inexpensive way to go!

Well, thanks for the info re: PCIP!  I will search the archives for it.

As for the bridgeboard, I HAVE one.  I am not at all impressed with it's
bugs, pathetic CGA emulation, slowness vs. price/lack of expansion
capabilities, etc etc etc.  It's neat-o to be able to hot-key between
Amiga screens and PC  screens, but I am well able to give that up for
a MUCH more powerful platform, with better expansion, no screen/keyboard/
disk drive/mouse bugs, etc.

I am looking forward to my new 386/33, with its 1024x768 VGA, etc.  I remain
a quite loyal Amiga fan, but not rabidly so without perspective.  I am
considering getting into PC consulting, and need a platform to learn on,
among other things.  I can run unix (lookalike) on the PC for $100, and
take advantage of all those cheap peripherals.  I like the balance- the
heck with the Mac...

Oh- by the way, I believe the 3C501 originally sold for $500, and some
places still sell it (mailorder) for $350.  I picked up a new one for
$80...hehehe...