[comp.sys.amiga.applications] A3000 roms

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.221348.9291@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  I remember seeing them under the power supplky somewhere, and they were
>labeled 'ROM 0' and 'ROM 1'.

  These are empty sockets for the UNIX ROM's.  Next to them are two
'psudo ROM's' that tell the 3000 load Kickstart from the disk.

Rick

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/23/91)

In article <18501@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>In article <1991Apr20.221348.9291@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>
>>  I remember seeing them under the power supplky somewhere, and they were
>>labeled 'ROM 0' and 'ROM 1'.
>
>  These are empty sockets for the UNIX ROM's.  Next to them are two
>'psudo ROM's' that tell the 3000 load Kickstart from the disk.

There's no such thing as UNIX ROMs, actually.  Unless they've majorly revised
the motherboard, the two places with no sockets in them are most likely EPROM
sockets.  It was some bozo's idea to make the EPROMs in that size not pin-
compatible with the ROMs, I believe.

You're right about the other sockets, although I wouldn't call them
"pseudo-ROMs."  They just contain a simple bootstrap, though.  The 2.0 ROMs
for the A3000 should go into those sockets.

--
       Greg Harp       |"I was there to match my intellect on national TV,
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|            -- "I Lost on Jeopardy," Weird Al Yankovic