[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Desk Top Publishing

jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) (02/27/91)

Ok....  what is the 'best' desktop publishing program for the Amiga?  I have
heard PageStream and Prof. Page both mentioned locally, as well as get Amax
and run PageMaker.   What opinions are out there on this?

tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) (02/27/91)

In article <12500@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:

>Ok....  what is the 'best' desktop publishing program for the Amiga?  I have
>heard PageStream and Prof. Page both mentioned locally, as well as get Amax
>and run PageMaker.   What opinions are out there on this?

Well, is Nike better than Reebok? Tough question. I suppose it matters who
is wearing the shoe.

I like Professional Page because I am used to it. It was the first DTP package
I learned and am very familiar with it. It has its limitations of course, like
those gawdawful text boxes. But, it is a very solid program and has good
support both from Gold Disk and other third party vendors.

Pagestream is supposed to be real good. I used a friends v1.8 for a while, but
it was really buggy and atrocious to work with. I have heard that the latest
version is excellent however, and even allows editing of ProDraw clips. That
is a neat trick.

Of course both support 24bit IFF files, and I think that Pagestream supports
TIFF files directly also. Both support EPSF and Pdraw clips, and PPage
supports Aegis Draw 2000 files also, if I remember right.

Of course there is always Pagemaker. But, you are going to have to buy
AMAX II ($120?), 128K ROMS ($200), Pagemaker ($550) and a Mac Drive ($200).
You might as well just buy an accelerator for your machine and enjoy the
speed. Pagemaker is the DTP standard (No matter what QuarkXPress users say.)
It is used by most if not all printing services for PCs.

Saxon Publisher is starting to make some noise also. I haven't used it, but
it looks nice. Anybody have any experience with this one?

Just make sure the package you get if it is not one of the above has
POSTSCRIPT support, so you can send your file to a beareau for high
quality output.

Juan Trevino

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (03/01/91)

>>Ok....  what is the 'best' desktop publishing program for the Amiga?  I have

You will no doubt hear all sorts of things about PPage, Pagestream, Saxon, and
PageMaker (On Amax). There is also one other option. Use the Atari ST
Emulator and run Calamus SL (Boo Hiss Atari UGH!, there there is the flame so
leave yours out please :)

Calamus runs faster on a plain 1040ST than ANY of the other programs on 25 Mhz
machines. I wouldn't doubt that running it on the ST Emulator would still be
faster. The SL version has postscript and colour seperations too, so no probs
there. If there is an Atari Dealer near you go take a peek at it, you may be
quite suprised.

Now, since I am a dedicated Amiga fan (gotta shotgun here for anyone that says
I'm not :) Take a look at PPage, version 2.x finally has just about
everything I can think of needing in a DTP package (with the exception of
'tiled' output). Gold disk has done a bang-up job of supporting the product,
lots of upgrades and features with every new version. My only gripe is the
speed and frequency of screen updates. Though I have found some neat tricks
to speed things up.

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

Steven_Biddle@cavebbs.gen.nz (Steven Biddle) (03/01/91)

Well, I own Pagestream 2.1, I can ssay it's an excellent program, but
having not used Pro Page 2.0, I couldn't compare the two. However, Pagestream,
 and I assume Pro Page as well, really require 1 Meg + to work, I only
have 1 meg currently, and although it's the minumun, it gets awfully
slow printing to dot matirix printers, or importing pictures..

  Steven Biddle - Wellington, New Zealand. Mail: Steven_Biddle@cavebbs.gen.nz

The Cave MegaBBS, Box 2009,  Cave4 +64 4 642260 (4 lines) 1200/2400/9600V32
Wellington, New Zealand      Cave3 +64 4 642269 (2 lines)    Fido 3:771/130

nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) (03/02/91)

In article <patrick_meloy.0481@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:
>>>Ok....  what is the 'best' desktop publishing program for the Amiga?  I have
>
>You will no doubt hear all sorts of things about PPage, Pagestream, Saxon, and
>PageMaker (On Amax). There is also one other option. Use the Atari ST
>Emulator and run Calamus SL (Boo Hiss Atari UGH!, there there is the flame so
>leave yours out please :)
>
>Calamus runs faster on a plain 1040ST than ANY of the other programs on 25 Mhz
>machines. I wouldn't doubt that running it on the ST Emulator would still be
>faster. The SL version has postscript and colour seperations too, so no probs
>there. If there is an Atari Dealer near you go take a peek at it, you may be
>quite suprised.
>
>Now, since I am a dedicated Amiga fan (gotta shotgun here for anyone that says
>I'm not :) Take a look at PPage, version 2.x finally has just about
>everything I can think of needing in a DTP package (with the exception of
>'tiled' output). Gold disk has done a bang-up job of supporting the product,
>lots of upgrades and features with every new version. My only gripe is the
>speed and frequency of screen updates. Though I have found some neat tricks
>to speed things up.

Hmmm... I like to see the UNDO feature on the PPage 2.x.  I have used
both and I keep going back to Page Stream 2.x.  Both are really slow
even on the A3000.

I like to see Microsoft Word for the Amiga.  Even though I have 2 Amigas
A1000 and A3000, I have to use Amax when I want to write proposals, and
report papers.  Nothing in the Amiga world come close to Microsoft Word 4.0.

Anybody out there used Amax II with Laser Jet II compatible printers?
What kind of printer driver are you using, and how is the performance?

>---------------------------------------
>| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
>| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
>---------------------------------------

jol@sei.cmu.edu (DR. J) (04/27/91)

Hi.

I'm looking into buying a DTP package.   Price is not a problem.
Which one would you recommend and for what reason(s)?

Thanks for any info.

 jol@sei.cmu.edu			"Life not worth dying for 	    //
 (412) 268-7602			 	isn't worth living for".   	\\ //
 Software Engineering Institute 				   AMIGA \X/

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (04/27/91)

> Hi.
>
> I'm looking into buying a DTP package.   Price is not a problem.
> Which one would you recommend and for what reason(s)?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> ##############################################################################
>  jol@sei.cmu.edu                      "Life not worth dying for           //
>  (412) 268-7602                               isn't worth living for".
>  Software Engineering Institute                                  AMIGA \X/

There are three major DTP packages available:

1: Professional Page 2.0 is $395 list. It's the upgrade of the first serious
DTP package for the Amiga.
Advantages:     Compugraphic Fonts
                Import ProDraw clips
                The Text Editor, which allows you to rapidly edit text
Disadvantages:  You have to create a box to hold anything
                Gold Disk's customer support is abysmal
                Slow at printing
                The CGCache takes up enormous (>5 meg) amounts of
                hard drive space

2: Pagestream 2.1 is $295 list
Advantages:     Compugraphic fonts
                Proprietary fonts (20 disks or so)
                Adobe Type 1 fonts to dot matrix (!)
                The *best* font handling, and the *most* styles
                Superb structured graphics tools
                Multiple documents open at once
                Probably the best manual of the three (MUCH improved over
                their first manual)
                Soft-Logik's customer support is excellent
                Import ProDraw clips
                etc.
Disadvantages:  Still locks up on occasion
                can take a while to display a large font list

3: Saxon Publisher is $*** (can't remember the price)
Advantages:     Allows nonrectangular columns (a unique feature, but I
                question how often you'd use it...)
                Nice tagging functions
Disadvantages:  Postscript output only at present (I think)
                No Compugraphic support?

        I am a Pagestream fan, I must admit. I use a HP Deskjet and the
output is first-rate. The printing is speedy and I can use my hard drive to
hold FONTS, and not the enormous CGCache that ProPage requires. If I need to
edit text rapidly, I can multitask Transwrite with it, select text, output
ASCII to RAM:, delete the selected text, edit the text in RAM:, and import
ASCII right back. Not as convenient as ProPage, but just as useful.
Pagestream also imports more different types of graphics than any other
program. Its structured graphics tools are the most intuitive I have seen,
and they work very well. Variable zoom, too, and you'll be glad you have it.
The big new features in ProPage 2.0 were tagging and rotation of objects,
something that Pagestream always has had.

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

jol@sei.cmu.edu (JUN LEE) (04/28/91)

Thanks for the info.