[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Multiplot XLN - strange lables on y axis

jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John G. Hardie) (04/24/91)

I've been looking at Multiplot XLN(d) - from FF 467(?).
Nice program, but the Y axis labels have junk in them.  I'm running
on a 6M A3000 under 2.0.  Everything seems fine, except that the
Y axis labels are ALWAYS printed vertically, with each letter followed
by 4 junk characters.

For example, if the label is "Counts", it will be printed like:

	C@#$$
	o$#@@
	u@#$$
	n#$%%
	t@#$%
	s@#$%

where the !@#$%% characters represent assorted (random???) non-alphanum
characters - which show up as junk.

Does anyone know how to avoid this?  If not, does it show up in the
printouts?  I don't have the proper POSTSCRIPT fonts on my amiga so
POST 1.5 just shows blobs there.  I'd really like to use this program
to generate plots (like for a thesis or something...) but if it outputs
junk I'll have to look elsewhere for my plotting...

Thanks,
John

--
jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

	... A wild display of pig farmers gone berserk

jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John G. Hardie) (04/25/91)

In article <119472@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John G. Hardie) writes:

>I've been looking at Multiplot XLN(d) - from FF 467(?).
>Nice program, but the Y axis labels have junk in them.

[...]

Ok, I fixed it.  In the function that "rotated" the amiga fonts
for display along the y axis there was code like:

(something like the following...)

DisplayVertText(string,itext)
char *string;
struct IntuiText *itext;
{
	char c;
	int i,j;

	j = strlen(string);

	for (i=0; i<j; i++)
	{
		c = string[i];
		itext->IText = &c;

		[some other stuff...]

		PrintIText(...Itext...);
	}
}

I changed the 'char c;' to 'char c[2];' and forced an explicit
NULL into c[1].  This seems to have fixed the problem.

John.

--
jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

		My work here is finished.  Why wait?

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (04/26/91)

> I've been looking at Multiplot XLN(d) - from FF 467(?).
> Nice program, but the Y axis labels have junk in them.  I'm running
> on a 6M A3000 under 2.0.  Everything seems fine, except that the
> Y axis labels are ALWAYS printed vertically, with each letter followed
> by 4 junk characters.
>
> For example, if the label is "Counts", it will be printed like:
>
>       C@#$$
>       o$#@@
>       u@#$$
>       n#$%%
>       t@#$%
>       s@#$%
>
> where the !@#$%% characters represent assorted (random???) non-alphanum
> characters - which show up as junk.
>
> Does anyone know how to avoid this?  If not, does it show up in the
> printouts?  I don't have the proper POSTSCRIPT fonts on my amiga so
> POST 1.5 just shows blobs there.  I'd really like to use this program
> to generate plots (like for a thesis or something...) but if it outputs
> junk I'll have to look elsewhere for my plotting...
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> --
> jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>
>       ... A wild display of pig farmers gone berserk

Weird...I haven't seen that problem at all. Did you define the Y label like
this?:
*YLABEL* whatever

Yes, Multiplot does print Y labels vertically, but that doesn't bother me. I
tested it against the Mac CRICKET GRAPH, and it compares very favorably.
About the only thing it doesn't do is give you more than two printout sizes,
but you can export DRAW and bring it into Pagestream...

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
I want a game that looks like SHADOW OF THE BEAST and plays like
                                LEISURE SUIT LARRY...

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (04/29/91)

In article <119472@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John G. Hardie) writes:

> I've been looking at Multiplot XLN(d) - from FF 467(?).
> Nice program, but the Y axis labels have junk in them.  I'm running
> on a 6M A3000 under 2.0.  Everything seems fine, except that the
> Y axis labels are ALWAYS printed vertically, with each letter followed
> by 4 junk characters.
>
> For example, if the label is "Counts", it will be printed like:
>
> 	C@#$$
> 	o$#@@
> 	u@#$$
> 	n#$%%
> 	t@#$%
> 	s@#$%
>
> where the !@#$%% characters represent assorted (random???) non-alphanum
> characters - which show up as junk.

Multiplot support is available on:

WEHI::Baxter_A Baxter_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz.au
 Baxter_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz.au@MUNNARI.OZ.AU
   wehi.dn.mu.oz!BAXTER_A@harvard.edu

Could you please send a little more information. Specifically what machine
you are running Multiplot on and under which version of the OS.

> Does anyone know how to avoid this?  If not, does it show up in the
> printouts?  I don't have the proper POSTSCRIPT fonts on my amiga so
> POST 1.5 just shows blobs there.  I'd really like to use this program
> to generate plots (like for a thesis or something...) but if it outputs
> junk I'll have to look elsewhere for my plotting...

It certainly works for this sort of purpose here..
Multiplots have been published in three international journals.

> Thanks,
> John
>
> --
> jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>
> 	... A wild display of pig farmers gone berserk

Regards Alan

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (04/29/91)

> Weird...I haven't seen that problem at all. Did you define the Y label like
> this?:
> *YLABEL* whatever
>
> Yes, Multiplot does print Y labels vertically, but that doesn't bother me. I
> tested it against the Mac CRICKET GRAPH, and it compares very favorably.
> About the only thing it doesn't do is give you more than two printout sizes,
> but you can export DRAW and bring it into Pagestream...

Please note that Multiplot support is available from:

WEHI::Baxter_A Baxter_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz.au
 Baxter_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz.au@MUNNARI.OZ.AU
   wehi.dn.mu.oz!BAXTER_A@harvard.edu

Multiplot prints in 16,000 + sizes and 2 orientations.

Regards Alan