[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Mathematica for Amiga?

grusin@tramp.Colorado.EDU (GRUSIN MICHAEL) (04/25/91)

It's springtime, and the computer mfr's are holding their "fairs" here
at C.U. engineering (ie, put up a banner, set up a few machines, stand
a suit by them who doesn't know much about the machines, etc.)...

Apple and NeXT do this the most often; (Although there was a small
contingent of Amigas a few months back), and the machines they sell
come bundled with some impressive software, among them: Mathematica.

Now I'm as pro-Amiga as the next guy.  And I don't believe there's
anything technical stopping Mathematica from being ported to the Amiga
(on the contrary, I would guess that it would gain considerably from
the platform).  But the fact is that people are buying these systems
because of things like Mathematica; If I had serious $$$, I'd consider
it myself.

My question is: IS MATHEMATICA AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  (preferably
in a form runable on a "native" Amiga, not X-windows or unix...), if
not, WILL IT BE AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  Does anyone know of any
efforts being made in that direction?  Mathematica looks like a great
thing; I know people that swear by it, and I'd like to use it...
("Doug's Math Aquarium" doesn't cut it).

(Political comment: Commodore should support the porting of serious
software (like Apple and NeXT do), or it WILL get left far behind...)

Mike. (aka grusin@tramp.colorado.edu)

schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr25.033404.27665@colorado.edu> grusin@tramp.Colorado.EDU (GRUSIN MICHAEL) writes:

>My question is: IS MATHEMATICA AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  (preferably
>in a form runable on a "native" Amiga, not X-windows or unix...), if
>not, WILL IT BE AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  Does anyone know of any
>efforts being made in that direction?  Mathematica looks like a great
>thing; I know people that swear by it, and I'd like to use it...
>("Doug's Math Aquarium" doesn't cut it).

Mathematica is not available for the Amiga, nor have I heard of any plans for
it to become so.  HOWEVER, Maple, from Waterloo, which is a comparable package
to Mathematica, is already available for the Amiga, and the newest version,
Maple V is due to be released in the near future.

Hope this helps.

>Mike. (aka grusin@tramp.colorado.edu)

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

In article <1991Apr25.033404.27665@colorado.edu> grusin@tramp.Colorado.EDU (GRUSIN MICHAEL) writes:

>My question is: IS MATHEMATICA AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  (preferably
>in a form runable on a "native" Amiga, not X-windows or unix...), if
>not, WILL IT BE AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  Does anyone know of any
>efforts being made in that direction?  Mathematica looks like a great
>thing; I know people that swear by it, and I'd like to use it...
>("Doug's Math Aquarium" doesn't cut it).
>
>(Political comment: Commodore should support the porting of serious
>software (like Apple and NeXT do), or it WILL get left far behind...)
>
>Mike. (aka grusin@tramp.colorado.edu)

	Having Mathematica will add name recognition to the Amiga
but not much else. Before talking about how left behind the Amiga
is, you should find out the state of Amiga software! Maple, made
by Waterloo Maple Software, is made for the Amiga. It is also
made for Macs, IBMs, Suns, IBM RS/6000, VAXen and even Crays. The
latest version Maple V, which features 3-D color plots, is well
on its way for both AmigaDOS and Amiga Unix.
	-- Ethan

"Brain? What is Brain?"

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr25.033404.27665@colorado.edu> grusin@tramp.Colorado.EDU (GRUSIN MICHAEL) writes:

>My question is: IS MATHEMATICA AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  (preferably
>in a form runable on a "native" Amiga, not X-windows or unix...), if
>not, WILL IT BE AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  Does anyone know of any
>efforts being made in that direction?  Mathematica looks like a great
>thing; I know people that swear by it, and I'd like to use it...
>("Doug's Math Aquarium" doesn't cut it).

No! Mathematica has not been ported to the Amiga; however, Maple has! Maple
is currently available on many platforms including versions that run in an
X-environment. We use Maple in our Amiga Classroom to teach various levels
of Mathematics.

>Mike. (aka grusin@tramp.colorado.edu)

                Herb

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cssun.albany.edu or hibrown@bst.albany.edu

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr25.112156.23740@sarah.albany.edu> hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>No! Mathematica has not been ported to the Amiga; however, Maple has! Maple
>is currently available on many platforms including versions that run in an
>X-environment. We use Maple in our Amiga Classroom to teach various levels
>of Mathematics.

Unfortunately for the Amiga version, I've just been informed by the folks
at Maple that they're taking the Amiga-native version of Maple V out of
beta test "because the operating system is too buggy" and won't be releasing
it until 2.0 stabilizes.  So don't hold your breath.  I think the real
problem is that no one there knows the Amiga very well.

You can still get the older version of Maple, though.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.

In article <1991Apr25.152911.667@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.112156.23740@sarah.albany.edu> hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>>No! Mathematica has not been ported to the Amiga; however, Maple has! Maple
>>is currently available on many platforms including versions that run in an
>>X-environment. We use Maple in our Amiga Classroom to teach various levels
>>of Mathematics.
>
>Unfortunately for the Amiga version, I've just been informed by the folks
>at Maple that they're taking the Amiga-native version of Maple V out of
>beta test "because the operating system is too buggy" and won't be releasing
>it until 2.0 stabilizes.  So don't hold your breath.  I think the real
>problem is that no one there knows the Amiga very well.
>
>You can still get the older version of Maple, though.

	That's ridiculous! If so, then they are the only program
I have that seems unable to work under 2.0! Oh well, sounds like
an excuse. Also sounds like an excuse for me to get my money
back. I don't want what I have now. I want V.

>--
>Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
>           Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.

	-- Ethan

"Brain? What is Brain?"

	I just called Waterloo Maple people. Development has
definitely NOT halted. And it isn't problems with 2.0 either.
They had some problems with the person they had coding their
front end. He made Maple require 2.0, yet they also want to be
able to go back to 1.3. They also want to wait for 2.0 to be
officially released before they ship a 2.0 product.
	What they have now is VERY stable under 2.0. As it was
put to me, they are renaming what they used to call beta-testing,
alpha-testing, and that it is now going into beta-testing.
	-- Ethan

"Brain? What is Brain?"

ppalmer@oskar.uchicago.edu (Patrick Palmer) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.170919.967@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	I just called Waterloo Maple people. Development has
>definitely NOT halted. And it isn't problems with 2.0 either.
>	What they have now is VERY stable under 2.0. As it was

(Lots edited out to make news happy)

One point not brought up yet that is important to potential
purchasers: they guarantee a free upgrade to Maple V, whenever it
comes out.  (I send my order last week.)

Pat Palmer (email: ppalmer@oskar.uchicago.edu)

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.170919.967@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	I just called Waterloo Maple people. Development has
>definitely NOT halted. And it isn't problems with 2.0 either.

Well, that isn't what they told me (though I never said development had
halted completely).

>They had some problems with the person they had coding their
>front end. He made Maple require 2.0, yet they also want to be
>able to go back to 1.3. They also want to wait for 2.0 to be
>officially released before they ship a 2.0 product.

Not supporting 1.3 is the probably the biggest complaint they've been
getting, though from what I hear the user interface needs work under
2.0 as well.

>	What they have now is VERY stable under 2.0. As it was
>put to me, they are renaming what they used to call beta-testing,
>alpha-testing, and that it is now going into beta-testing.

Hmm.  A beta-tester I know says his version of Maple crashes too much.
Sounds like the stability could be improved.

Considering they're not an Amiga shop, really, I'd say Maple is doing
a pretty good job.... but there could be improvements.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (04/26/91)

Where can one call/write to order MAPLE, and how much is it?
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

jmauric@hubcap.clemson.edu (Phantom of Adexsi) (04/29/91)

From article <1991Apr25.112156.23740@sarah.albany.edu>, by hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown):
> In article <1991Apr25.033404.27665@colorado.edu> grusin@tramp.Colorado.EDU (GRUSIN MICHAEL) writes:
>>
>>My question is: IS MATHEMATICA AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  (preferably
>>in a form runable on a "native" Amiga, not X-windows or unix...), if
>>not, WILL IT BE AVAILABLE FOR THE AMIGA?  Does anyone know of any
>>efforts being made in that direction?  Mathematica looks like a great
>>thing; I know people that swear by it, and I'd like to use it...
>>("Doug's Math Aquarium" doesn't cut it).
>>

> No! Mathematica has not been ported to the Amiga; however, Maple has! Maple
> is currently available on many platforms including versions that run in an
> X-environment. We use Maple in our Amiga Classroom to teach various levels
> of Mathematics.

how much does maple cost? address of where it can be purchased from?
how good of a port is it?
is autocad available? if not, whats the best thing that amy has
currently?
!X!   File   Edit    Tools    Special    Guru              999999999 Bytes Free
ABench1.3>         JMAURIC@HUBCAP.CLEMSON.EDU .. John Maurice .. (803)-653-8302

slassini@convex.cl.msu.edu (lassini stefano) (04/30/91)

jmauric@hubcap.clemson.edu (Phantom of Adexsi) writes:
[...stuff deleted...]

>how much does maple cost? address of where it can be purchased from?
>how good of a port is it?
>is autocad available? if not, whats the best thing that amy has
>currently?
>--
You can get Maple from Waterloo Maple Software
		       160 Columbia Street West
		       waterloo, Ontario, Canada
		       N2L 3L3
You can get in touch with Ms. Janet Cater for more infos,
jecater@daisy.waterloo.edu or tel. (519)747-2373.

Right now they are offering a special price for the current Maple
release, with the right to receive Maple V for free as soon as it comes
out, for 325 U.S. $ [295 $ with educational discount].

Stefano Lassini