[comp.sys.amiga.applications] WorkBench 2.0

vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric Rankin) (04/10/91)

I'm not sure if Applications is the place for this, but I don't see
anything better, so here goes...

I've heard contradicting stories regardng WorkBench 2.0.  What exactly does
it require?  I have an Amiga 2000 with the OLD Agnus chip (512k Chip) and 5
Megs of Fast RAM.  I have 1.3 ROMS also.

I've been told that 2.0 ROMS were required, I've been told that the 1 Meg
Agnus was required, I've been told that neither one is required--can
someone set me straight here?

Thanks,
  Eric

vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (04/10/91)

In article <NJB7Z1w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric Rankin) writes:
>I've heard contradicting stories regardng WorkBench 2.0.  What exactly does
>it require?  I have an Amiga 2000 with the OLD Agnus chip (512k Chip) and 5
>Megs of Fast RAM.  I have 1.3 ROMS also.

Workbench 2.0 will require the Kickstart 2.0 ROM, and that's about all.
It works fine on 512K Agnus and non-ECS Denise machines.

>Thanks,
>  Eric

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (04/10/91)

vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric Rankin) writes:

>I'm not sure if Applications is the place for this, but I don't see
>anything better, so here goes...
>I've been told that 2.0 ROMS were required, I've been told that the 1 Meg
>Agnus was required, I've been told that neither one is required--can
>someone set me straight here?

Simple. You need any amiga.
If you are a developer and have some AutoConfig memory (>=.5meg??)
you can run 2.0 now.
If you are not a developer, you have to wait for the 2.0 roms,
and a method for putting 512k roms into a 2000.
Before the A3000, amigas were equipped with 256K rom (or in the
case of the 1000, 256k special ram). I don't know if any
500's or 2000's come equipped with sockets for 512k rom or not.
In any case, it should not be hard to modify a 256Krom machin
to accept the full 512k.
(Is this problem going to happen again when KickStart 3.0 requires
1 meg of rom?)

You don't need any enhanced custom chips. As far as I know
2.0 works with the first revision of the custom chips, all the
way up to the latest in the 3000.

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/11/91)

For WB 2.0, ANY Amiga (except a non-modified 1000) can use it WITHOUT ANY
modifications.  You don't need a 1 Meg Agnus.  You don't need more then 512K.
You don't need Fast RAM.  You don't need a hard drive.  You don't even need an
extra floppy.  BUT, since the operating system (WB) is (will be when finished)
located in ROM, you WILL have to replace your 1.3 ROMs with 2.0 ROMs.  That's
it.

Of course, WB 2.0 will ALLOW (not require) you to use many other special
features if you have the hardware to support it, but the lack of this hardware
DOES NOT preclude you from using WB 2.0.

Rick Tillery

lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.164331.15240@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) writes:
>vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric Rankin) writes:
>If you are a developer and have some AutoConfig memory (>=.5meg??)
>you can run 2.0 now.

Well, it also has to autoconfig at the right location.

>If you are not a developer, you have to wait for the 2.0 roms,
>and a method for putting 512k roms into a 2000.

Bzzzzt!  Although your answer is partially correct, you do not win the
prize.  All A2000's and A500's (as far as I know) have 512K ROMs in them
already, it is just that only 256K of the space is used.  The A1000
does have only 256K of protected RAM.

--
Logan # "He said that He had your number; you cut the telephone line
 Shaw #  You said you needed a reason; He said 'there ain't much time'

conan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Faulkner) (04/11/91)

WB 2.0 should be out soon, or so C= has said for a while ;-)

As far as system requirements go , I am a developer and I use 2.0
daily.  My system is a A2000 w/ 80 meg HD, 5 Megs of Ram, and the
Fat Agnus chip.  Plus a few other things no need of mentioning.

The original sender stated he had 5 megs of Ram, that is great, 2.0
should run fine.  You will need the new Rom, which should be available
when the 2.0 is released.  As far as 2.0 is concerned it will set
itself up to whatever Agnus and Denise chips you have.  However I
reccomend getting the new chips, they will make life much more pleasent.

2.0 is great running on the A2000, at times it can be a little slower
than 1.3, but it runs fine.

If you have any more questions you can e-mail me.

--

Robert Faulkner                              conan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
            ///                  Recursion:     Thinking

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/11/91)

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:

> In article <NJB7Z1w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric R
> >I've heard contradicting stories regardng WorkBench 2.0.  What exactly does
> >it require?  I have an Amiga 2000 with the OLD Agnus chip (512k Chip) and 5
> >Megs of Fast RAM.  I have 1.3 ROMS also.
>
> Workbench 2.0 will require the Kickstart 2.0 ROM, and that's about all.
> It works fine on 512K Agnus and non-ECS Denise machines.

Well, obviously Peter should know what Workbench 2.0 will require but
at the moment it *doesn't* require Kickstart 2.0 in ROM.  The ROM is
located on the HD (or floppy) and is loaded into a special place in
fast RAM so my logical conclusion is that Workbench 2.0 doesn't
require Kickstart in ROM. <grin>

>      Peter

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (04/11/91)

In article <cwN9Z5w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>Well, obviously Peter should know what Workbench 2.0 will require but
>at the moment it *doesn't* require Kickstart 2.0 in ROM.  The ROM is
>located on the HD (or floppy) and is loaded into a special place in
>fast RAM so my logical conclusion is that Workbench 2.0 doesn't
>require Kickstart in ROM. <grin>

I presume (and hope) you're describing an Amiga 3000.  The question
was from a 1.3 user wanting information on upgrading to 2.0.  Clearly
then, the answer I gave is for people who have Amigas other than the
Amiga 3000, and such computers will normally require a ROM.

>>      Peter
>
>-- Bob

     Peter
--

rrizzo@csws13.ic.sunysb.edu (Robert J Rizzo) (04/11/91)

In article <NJB7Z1w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric Rankin) writes:
>I'm not sure if Applications is the place for this, but I don't see
>anything better, so here goes...
>
>I've heard contradicting stories regardng WorkBench 2.0.  What exactly does
>it require?  I have an Amiga 2000 with the OLD Agnus chip (512k Chip) and 5
>Megs of Fast RAM.  I have 1.3 ROMS also.

	I ran WorkBench 2.0 from a floppy on a 3 meg A500, you need a
	special program that copies kickstart from the floppy into
	ram (I forget what it is called Kickit or something).  Once
	kickstart is in ram (you need at least 1Meg of FAST ram to do this)
	you boot like you normally do, only with the WB2.0 disk.

>I've been told that 2.0 ROMS were required, I've been told that the 1 Meg
>Agnus was required, I've been told that neither one is required--can

	The 2.0 ROMS are not necessary to run it but if you want to avoid
	having to load the 512k kickstart everytime you cold start you
	might want to invest in the chip when it comes out.

	I have the 512k agnus and it worked fine, you just can't use all
	of the new display modes without the new (denise?) chip.

	hope this helps,
	bob

	rrizzo@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

hounsell@nmerh4.BNR.CA (Rob Hounsell) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.182009.26973@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>,
drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
|> For WB 2.0, ANY Amiga (except a non-modified 1000) can use it WITHOUT ANY
|> modifications.

  Just what IS required to have WB2.0 run on a 1000? I have expanded the
memory and accelerated the CPU on mine (using LUCAS/FRANCES)...

Rob
| Rob Hounsell                           UUNET:  ...!chekov!hounsell          |
| NT Product Support Technology          BNR WAN:  hounsell@nmerh53           |
|                                        PHONE: (613) 765-2904                |
|                                        ESN: 395-2904                        |

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (04/12/91)

In article <20556@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>In article <cwN9Z5w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>>Well, obviously Peter should know what Workbench 2.0 will require but
>>at the moment it *doesn't* require Kickstart 2.0 in ROM.  The ROM is
>I presume (and hope) you're describing an Amiga 3000.  The question

Actually, even in an A3000, 2.0 needs to be in ROM -- it's just not the 2.0
you eventually end up using.

Something has to access those harddrives to get the OS off!

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
	2.0 :: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus

maniac@cleanhead.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.164331.15240@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) writes:

) If you are not a developer, you have to wait for the 2.0 roms,
) and a method for putting 512k roms into a 2000.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ROM chip in the A500's and A2000's have 18 address lines, enough to address 256K locations, which at two bytes a location (it is a word-wide rom), means that the 512K ROM chips should just drop right in.

--
Eric J. Schwertfeger, maniac@jimi.cs.unlv.edu

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (04/12/91)

     It's not that hard to understand... currently, there are no 2.0 ROMs,
so if you want 2.0 you have to load the ROM images from disk to RAM, to do
that you'll have to have at least 1 meg of contigus free RAM (i.e. a 1 Meg
Amiga is not enough).

    In it's final release, 2.0 will be in a ROM format, but since the ROMs
are bigger than 1.3 ROMs, you'll have to modify slightly your machine (how
CBM is gonna do this, nobody knows yet).

    If you want to run 2.0 on a normal 500-1000-2000, you'll have to
sacrifice RAM. If you're ready to loose 512 Ko of your RAM to emulate ROM,
it's fine with me (it might be interesting for some machines where 32 bits
RAM access would be faster than ROM access tho).

   As far as having only 512 ko of CHIP ram or the old chipset (same
thing), 2.0 doesn't care, you just won't be able to access all the new
video-modes (and actually I like much better a PAL interlaced HiRes screen
with a flicker-fixer than the productivity mode, pixels look better, only
the ol-lores sprite looks like a joke (-:).

     JNM

---
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

JNM: jnmoyne@lbl.gov

f90angu@fy.chalmers.se (Andreas Gunnarsson) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.182009.26973@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>For WB 2.0, ANY Amiga (except a non-modified 1000) can use it WITHOUT ANY
>modifications.  You don't need a 1 Meg Agnus.  You don't need more then 512K.
>You don't need Fast RAM.
>[...]

Even an A1000 will run 2.0 if you have at least 512K RAM at $200000 (ie. the
first thing in the port). Then a program can load Kickstart into RAM. However,
this requires a modified Kickstart file only available to developers. I really
hope Commodore will sell it to everyone (or at least to me :-) when they sell
the ROMs.
73 es 88 de SM7TLS          f90angu@fy.chalmers.se          Andreas Gunnarsson

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/12/91)

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:

> I presume (and hope) you're describing an Amiga 3000.  The question
> was from a 1.3 user wanting information on upgrading to 2.0.  Clearly
> then, the answer I gave is for people who have Amigas other than the
> Amiga 3000, and such computers will normally require a ROM.

Yes, quite true.  If you are a developer, you can load in KS 2.0 from
hard disk on the 2000 just like on the current versions of the 3000.

>      Peter

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

cs180sbg@sdcc5.ucsd.edu (04/13/91)

Can Commodore just sell the 2.0 OS on disk so people with enough RAM
can run it, without modifying the current ROM in place?

In article <47011@ut-emx.uucp> lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
>Bzzzzt!  Although your answer is partially correct, you do not win the
>prize.  All A2000's and A500's (as far as I know) have 512K ROMs in them
>already, it is just that only 256K of the space is used.

	Bzzzzt!  I'm afraid you don't quite win the prize either.  A2000's and
A500's have sockets that handle 512K roms, but the 1.3 roms are only 256K.

Also note that a fair number of A500's don't have the address lines in the
same spot as current roms/eproms usually do - they weren't available at the
design time and someone had to guess, I think.  There are several solutions
for this: a tiny daughterboard that swaps the lines, a custom-bonded rom,
etc.  When ROMs are ready, one of the solutions will be chosen.  A2000's
and relatively new A500's (I don't know the rev) don't have this problem.

	I guess I'm ineligible for the prize, since I work for C=.  Oh well.
I guess I won't buy that racecar this spring... ;-)

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr11.160544.1440@sbcs.sunysb.edu> rrizzo@csws13.ic.sunysb.edu (Robert J Rizzo) writes:

>In article <NJB7Z1w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric Rankin) writes:
>
>	I ran WorkBench 2.0 from a floppy on a 3 meg A500, you need a
>	special program that copies kickstart from the floppy into
>	ram (I forget what it is called Kickit or something).  Once
>	kickstart is in ram (you need at least 1Meg of FAST ram to do this)
>	you boot like you normally do, only with the WB2.0 disk.

  I have a 2.5 meg a500, but could never get the 2.0 to work on my
machine. I heard that it may not work if you have the ram expansion
on an inbternal expansion slot (which I do). However, I have used
ZKick on another Amiga where KickIt wouldn't do it. Even though I can
get 1.8 megs FAST to autoconfigure on bootup, it refuses to acknowledge
that I have any fast ram.

>	hope this helps,
>	bob
>

>	rrizzo@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (04/16/91)

From article <20627@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup):

> Also note that a fair number of A500's don't have the address lines in the
> same spot as current roms/eproms usually do - they weren't available at the
> design time and someone had to guess, I think.  There are several solutions

I thought Intel doing their own thing again was the prob., or was that
the 256K ROM/EPROM-are-different problem?
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(+613) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (04/16/91)

From article <1991Apr15.165156.19988@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio):
>   I have a 2.5 meg a500, but could never get the 2.0 to work on my
> machine. I heard that it may not work if you have the ram expansion
> on an inbternal expansion slot (which I do). However, I have used
> ZKick on another Amiga where KickIt wouldn't do it. Even though I can
> get 1.8 megs FAST to autoconfigure on bootup, it refuses to acknowledge
> that I have any fast ram.
Zkick requires that you have RAM that autoconfigures at 100000h, so it
must get first bite at the cherry.  This means that it must be the first
autoconfigure device along from the coprocessor slot, so if you had your
Hdisk there, swap them.  There is some problem with the GVP drives in
this regard, as is explained in the docos.

In article <3374@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) writes:
>I thought Intel doing their own thing again was the prob., or was that
>the 256K ROM/EPROM-are-different problem?

	That was the ROM/EPROM problem.  We got the ROM sockets wrong all by
ourselves (then again, such roms weren't available at the time, I believe,
so someone had to guess).  BTW, apparently German A2000's (as opposed to
B2000's) have the same rom socket wiring as most A500's.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

Steven_Biddle@cavebbs.gen.nz (Steven Biddle) (04/17/91)

I have a similair problem, I have 2 megs of RAM in my 500, 1.5 megs
which is in the expansion slot, and have tried numerous times, with
both zkick, and kickit, to load Kickstart 2, but all have failed miserably..

Steven Biddle - Wellington, New Zealand. Mail: Steven_Biddle@cavebbs.gen.nz

e89fn@efd.lth.se (Fredrik Norrman) (04/17/91)

In article <3375@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) writes:
>From article <1991Apr15.165156.19988@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio):
>>   I have a 2.5 meg a500, but could never get the 2.0 to work on my
>> machine. I heard that it may not work if you have the ram expansion
>> on an inbternal expansion slot (which I do). However, I have used
>> ZKick on another Amiga where KickIt wouldn't do it. Even though I can
>> get 1.8 megs FAST to autoconfigure on bootup, it refuses to acknowledge
>> that I have any fast ram.
>Zkick requires that you have RAM that autoconfigures at 100000h, so it
>must get first bite at the cherry.  This means that it must be the first
>autoconfigure device along from the coprocessor slot, so if you had your
>Hdisk there, swap them.  There is some problem with the GVP drives in
>this regard, as is explained in the docos.

I'm buying the GVP Series II harddrive with 2MB memory for A500.
Will it work with Z-kick?
Maybe I buy something else?

Thanks in advance!

Fredrik Norrman
e89fn@efd.lth.se

mt87692@cc.tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) (04/18/91)

>Zkick requires that you have RAM that autoconfigures at 100000h, so it
>must get first bite at the cherry.  This means that it must be the first
>autoconfigure device along from the coprocessor slot, so if you had your
>Hdisk there, swap them.  There is some problem with the GVP drives in
>this regard, as is explained in the docos.

This is not quite true. I have SupraWS controller in the first slot,
A2090a in the second and Supra 8Meg board in the third and zkick works
fine with this setup. I don't understand why there should be any
problems with the order, all ROM boards will be configured to
diffirent place than RAM boards, unless of course the program is too
stupid to search the correct board from expansion and assumes it's the
first one...

 MIT

NB: Make sure you have at least version 2.30 of zkick if you want
working autoboot...
--
Bubble Bobble

In article <cwN9Z5w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:

>> Workbench 2.0 will require the Kickstart 2.0 ROM, and that's about all.

>Well, obviously Peter should know what Workbench 2.0 will require but
>at the moment it *doesn't* require Kickstart 2.0 in ROM. The ROM is
>located on the HD (or floppy) and is loaded into a special place in
>fast RAM so my logical conclusion is that Workbench 2.0 doesn't
>require Kickstart in ROM. <grin>

That special place in fast RAM is, thanks to MMU magic, exactly the same place
ROMs live.  ROM code is not relocatable.  Therefore, it would be technically
correct to claim that you need either an MMU or a 2.0 ROM to run 2.0.  While
there are some hacks the software folks have developed to let 2.0 run in
special RAM locations, these are only for developer testing, nothing suitable
for production, far as I know.

Therefore, 2.00 was released along with the A3000.  Since you could easily
switch between 1.3.2 and 2.00, this was not a problem.  Later, 2.02 came along,
and since it's just a software issue on the A3000, this upgrade was easy.  This
implies that 2.0x was considered useful for the A3000, though not necessarily
ready to be the only OS on a machine, which it would be running from ROM.  And
I doubt very much how understanding folks would be if you told them they had to
go out and by several sets of 2.0x ROMs before the final ROMed 2.0 was
complete.

I see these software guys working around here every day.  There is no foot
dragging.
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

norton@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scott Norton) (04/25/91)

In article <20890@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>That special place in fast RAM is, thanks to MMU magic, exactly the same place
>ROMs live.  ROM code is not relocatable.

What impact does this restriction have on moving ROM routines to 32-bit
wide memory on machines that have it?  I had read that system performance
really peps up when something like layers.library is executing out
of 50 Mhz, 32-bit wide RAM.

I would hope that the non-relocatable stuff is startup code or other
mystical OS secrets, and not shared system libraries.

LT Scott Norton   <norton@NOSC.MIL>

In article <1938@manta.NOSC.MIL> norton@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scott Norton) writes:
>In article <20890@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>That special place in fast RAM is, thanks to MMU magic, exactly the same place
>>ROMs live.  ROM code is not relocatable.

>What impact does this restriction have on moving ROM routines to 32-bit
>wide memory on machines that have it?

None, really, since that has always been done via the aforementioned MMU magic.
Actually, since I released the SetCPU V1.6 sources to the public domain, this
bit of "magic" is no longer necessarily heavy ju-ju that no one can understand,
but something fairly accessable to anyone wishing to muck around with it.

>I had read that system performance really peps up when something like
>layers.library is executing out of 50 Mhz, 32-bit wide RAM.

Aside from the fact that memory is rated in row access time, not frequency
(well, I AM the hardware guy around here), you're correct, that does indeed
happen.  It's all done via MMU.

>I would hope that the non-relocatable stuff is startup code or other
>mystical OS secrets, and not shared system libraries.

Any Amiga object file is relocatable code.  That includes programs, libraries,
device drivers, or anything else you load from disk.  All ROM code is assembled
to absolute locations.  This makes lots of sense if you think about it.  The
relocatable code isn't relocatable when it's executable, only when it's in the
standard object format.  When you load an object file, a DOS routine called
LoadSeg() allocates some memory for the code, puts the code there, and then
patches in any absolute references based on the relocation data that's supplied
in the object file.  For ROM, you can't exactly patch absolute references, so
they must be assembled for an absolute location for any given ROM.  Of course,
the particular absolute location for any given routine can change any time you
build a new ROM, and the Amiga library mechanism hides all the details of this
quite nicely.

pochron@rt1.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (04/30/91)

In article <20951@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>None, really, since that has always been done via the aforementioned MMU magic.
>Actually, since I released the SetCPU V1.6 sources to the public domain, this

Hey!  Where might the sources for SetCPU 1.6 be located at?  I would really
like to look them voer for an example of programming the MMU!

--

          David M. Pochron   | Transparent DWV pipe:  For the man who wants to
pochron@garfield.cs.wisc.edu | (If you don't know what DWV is, get a life! :-)