[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Help converting Kick2.0 for A2000

achim@video1.in-berlin.de (Joachim Gothe) (04/18/91)

Hi Folks,

is there a way to convert a SuperKickstart-Disk of an A3000 to a
Kickfile, that the programm "ZKICK" can use.

The Kickfile that MAKEFILE produce for the A3000, my ZKICK can`t use.:-(

Please e-mail or post
Thanks,
Achim

----------------------------__
    Joachim Gothe          ///  UUNET: achim@video1.in-berlin.de
   Luederritzstr. 4   __  ///          achim@artcom.de
  FRG 1000 Berlin 65  \\\/// Zerberus: videomaster@bdb
 VOICE +49 30 4526202  \XX/

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/19/91)

In article <19005706.ARN00b7@video1.in-berlin.de> achim@video1.in-berlin.de
  (Joachim Gothe) writes:
>Hi Folks,
>
>is there a way to convert a SuperKickstart-Disk of an A3000 to a
>Kickfile, that the programm "ZKICK" can use.
>
>The Kickfile that MAKEFILE produce for the A3000, my ZKICK can`t use.:-(
>
>Please e-mail or post
>Thanks,
>Achim

Well, there is a 2.0 Kickstart-on-a-disk for non-A3000 machines with memory in
the right area.  If you are developer, you can get it.  If you're not, you
shouldn't have it.

Problem solved. ;-)

BTW, interpret this as a MAJOR flaming of all possessors of PIRATE copies of
beta releases of 2.0.  How could someone undermine the efforts of the company
they are depending on to continue to support them?

[Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now... ;-) ]

--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

joshin@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (98896000) (04/19/91)

>In article <19005706.ARN00b7@video1.in-berlin.de> achim@video1.in-berlin.de
>  (Joachim Gothe) writes:
>>Hi Folks,
>>
>>is there a way to convert a SuperKickstart-Disk of an A3000 to a
>>Kickfile, that the programm "ZKICK" can use.
>>
>>The Kickfile that MAKEFILE produce for the A3000, my ZKICK can`t use.:-(
>>
>>Please e-mail or post
>>Thanks,
>>Achim

>Well, there is a 2.0 Kickstart-on-a-disk for non-A3000 machines with memory in
>the right area.  If you are developer, you can get it.  If you're not, you
>shouldn't have it.

>Problem solved. ;-)

>BTW, interpret this as a MAJOR flaming of all possessors of PIRATE copies of
>beta releases of 2.0.  How could someone undermine the efforts of the company
>they are depending on to continue to support them?

>[Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now... ;-) ]

>--
>       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
>                       |lost souls swimming in a fishbowl, year after year,
>greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
>  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

Wait just a minute here.  Weren't the roms supposed to have been released a few
months ago?  And now they are being pushed back to June.  Now I don't have a
beta copy of 2.0 but I would love one.  I can't afford to become classified as
a developer but I would still love to have 2.0.  Now since they are not out I
can't get them legally.  But if I did have one I would still buy the roms.  I
have a question now, if I did "pirate" 2.0 on disk and then bought the roms
when they became available would that still be pirating?  And if it is
considered pirating wouldn't I be supporting C= when the roms came out and I buy
them?

To anyone at C=,
	Is there anyway I could get a copy of 2.0 on disk without becoming a
developer and without having to resort to piracy?

						Joshua Goldsmith

P.S.  I do not believe in piracy!  I do however want to play with 2.0!!!

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (04/19/91)

In article <14678@darkstar.ucsc.edu> joshin@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (98896000) writes:

> I have a
> question now, if I did "pirate" 2.0 on disk and then bought the roms
> when they became available would that still be pirating?  And if it is
> considered pirating wouldn't I be supporting C= when the roms came out
> and I buy them?

Piracy is only part of the issue.  The other part is that it's
unhealthy to have beta versions of an operating system floating
around, both for you and for Commodore.  It's unhealthy for you
because you might get bitten by a nasty bug and lose data.  It's
unhealthy for Commodore because bugs in beta versions often cause
rumors to spread, even if those bugs are fixed in the final release.

nj

In article <14678@darkstar.ucsc.edu> joshin@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (98896000) writes:

>To anyone at C=,
>	Is there anyway I could get a copy of 2.0 on disk without becoming a
>developer and without having to resort to piracy?

NO. Sorry.

But then, PLEASE all be a little patient. We all know this is lasting
much longer than hoped, but well, piracy is not the way to make the
situation better, you only would make it worse. (Imagine the situation
when a dozen different beta prereleases are floating without control
through the Amiga scene. You WILL get compatibility problems, and WHO
will be blamed for it? Now guess...)

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/19/91)

In article <14678@darkstar.ucsc.edu> joshin@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (98896000) writes:
>Wait just a minute here.  Weren't the roms supposed to have been released a few
>months ago?  And now they are being pushed back to June.  Now I don't have a
>beta copy of 2.0 but I would love one.  I can't afford to become classified as
>a developer but I would still love to have 2.0.  Now since they are not out I
>can't get them legally.  But if I did have one I would still buy the roms.  I
>have a question now, if I did "pirate" 2.0 on disk and then bought the roms
>when they became available would that still be pirating?  And if it is
>considered pirating wouldn't I be supporting C= when the roms came out and I buy
>them?

Well, piracy is piracy.  Possessing an illegal copy of something is piracy.
If nothing else, any developer giving out pirate copies of the 2.0 release
disks is in direct violation of his/her agreement with C=.

Now some might say that it falls into the area of trying out the software
before buying it.  (BTW, I'd like to see that established in better way than
having to obtain a pirate copy or _hope_ there's a rental place that has it --
something that is unlikely in the Amiga market.)  However, these are beta
releases, and by no means should anyone have them except the people that C=
gives them to.

>P.S.  I do not believe in piracy!  I do however want to play with 2.0!!!

Hmmm...  The best thing I can suggest is to spend some time at a local
dealership (if that is possible) and play with a 3000.  You're going to want
to upgrade, I can tell you that.  There's already a decent amount of PD
software that works only under 2.0, and there will be a growing amount of
commercial software that at least works _better_ under 2.0.  The upgrade can't
cost _that_ much -- certainly no more than a couple games or a half-decent
app.

Greg
--

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/20/91)

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

> BTW, interpret this as a MAJOR flaming of all possessors of PIRATE copies of
> beta releases of 2.0.  How could someone undermine the efforts of the company
> they are depending on to continue to support them?

Huh?  I don't really see the harm in a few people having "pirate"
copies of WB 2.0.  In fact, I imagine that these versions were
intentionlly leaked to allow more people to beta-test the software
prior to burning the chips.

Just how is someone runing WB 2.0 going to undermine Commodore?
After all, Apple gives away free OS updates for thier computers as
far as I know.  I've never had to pay for an OS upgrade on my Mac or
Apple //.   Previous updates for Workbench have also been free.  The
only cost was in the ROM chip.

Surely Commodore doesn't expect to make its profits from selling
Kickstart 2.0 ROM chips.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) writes:

> Piracy is only part of the issue.  The other part is that it's
> unhealthy to have beta versions of an operating system floating
> around, both for you and for Commodore.  It's unhealthy for you
> because you might get bitten by a nasty bug and lose data.  It's
> unhealthy for Commodore because bugs in beta versions often cause
> rumors to spread, even if those bugs are fixed in the final release.

What?  This logic doesn't follow.  2.0 is already out there in
thousands of A3000 computers.  It's no different than the A2000
Developers versions except that the developers versions are *newer*
versions that what's being shipped in current A3000's.  So your buggy
beta version theory doesn't wash.

I would think it would be a bit more benificial for Commodore as
Randall can just check Usenet here and hear of the gripes that people
are having with thier *pirate* WB 2.0's and maybe he can fix them.
After all, the more beta testers the better, no?

I am certainly not condoning piracy but I just don't see the harm in
having or using WB 2.0 on your 2000 at this point in time.  If you
want it, it's readily available even on Public Domain boards.

achim@video1.in-berlin.de (Joachim Gothe) (04/20/91)

In article <NJ.91Apr18150329@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU>, Narciso Jaramillo writes:

>Piracy is only part of the issue.  The other part is that it's
>unhealthy to have beta versions of an operating system floating
>around, both for you and for Commodore.  It's unhealthy for you
>because you might get bitten by a nasty bug and lose data.  It's

It is MY health. I smoke, I drink German beer and I want to use Kick2.0 :-)))

>unhealthy for Commodore because bugs in beta versions often cause
>rumors to spread, even if those bugs are fixed in the final release.

What is the final BUG FREE release ? 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. 2.0, 2.5, 5.0, 08/15 ?
If more people than a few developer can test !!TEST!! a Betaversion of
Software, Commodore don`t need so much time to find the bugs.
I am a silly USER of computers, and I accept this. If two bugs come together,
(the beta version and I) we will find us faster.
.....its just a vision...:-(

>nj
PS: I use Kick2.0, Version 36.207 (old) :-((, but I love it!!!

----------------------------__

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (04/20/91)

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) replied:

> What?  This logic doesn't follow.  2.0 is already out there in
> thousands of A3000 computers.  It's no different than the A2000
> Developers versions except that the developers versions are *newer*
> versions that what's being shipped in current A3000's.  So your buggy
> beta version theory doesn't wash.

Newer doesn't imply less buggy.  Of course, the newer versions will
have fixes for bugs in the older versions.  But the newer versions
have *new* code in them.  I expect that some of this code mucks about
in fairly dangerous areas, since one of their goals in the current
releases is making concessions to pre-2.0 programs that did things
that weren't strictly legal, trying to prevent them from breaking.
[I assume I'm not violating non-disclosure with this, since other
people have mentioned it.]

> I would think it would be a bit more benificial for Commodore as
> Randall can just check Usenet here and hear of the gripes that people
> are having with thier *pirate* WB 2.0's and maybe he can fix them.

Seems to me that they already are.

nj

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (04/20/91)

In article <59XN18w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) writes:
>
>> Piracy is only part of the issue.  The other part is that it's
>> unhealthy to have beta versions of an operating system floating
>> around, both for you and for Commodore.

>What?  This logic doesn't follow.  2.0 is already out there in
>thousands of A3000 computers.  It's no different than the A2000
>Developers versions except that the developers versions are *newer*
>versions that what's being shipped in current A3000's.  So your buggy
>beta version theory doesn't wash.

You assume that each beta is strictly and absolutely better than the one
before it.  That's simply not true.  There is always a risk that
when fixing a bug or adding a new feature, a serious problem can
be introduced.  If that wasn't true, there would be no reason
to send out betas at all (think about it).

>-- Bob

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/21/91)

In article <4yXN17w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com
  (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>
>> BTW, interpret this as a MAJOR flaming of all possessors of PIRATE copies of
>> beta releases of 2.0.  How could someone undermine the efforts of the company
>> they are depending on to continue to support them?
>
>Huh?  I don't really see the harm in a few people having "pirate"
>copies of WB 2.0.  In fact, I imagine that these versions were
>intentionlly leaked to allow more people to beta-test the software
>prior to burning the chips.

Why would C= intentionally leak copies of the OS?  More testers doesn't
outweigh the problems with multiple betas of the OS in use.  Many people would
continue to use the soft copies instead of ungrading, and when software broke
they would blame C=.

>Just how is someone runing WB 2.0 going to undermine Commodore?
>After all, Apple gives away free OS updates for thier computers as
>far as I know.  I've never had to pay for an OS upgrade on my Mac or
>Apple //.   Previous updates for Workbench have also been free.  The
>only cost was in the ROM chip.

Upgrades to the Workbench have been free.  Kickstart upgrades (disk or ROM)
have not been.  Apple isn't going to pass out ROMs for their machines for free
either.  In fact I'm sure any A-Max owner would be glad to tell you how much
he/she paid for just a simple ROM.

>Surely Commodore doesn't expect to make its profits from selling
>Kickstart 2.0 ROM chips.

Of course not.  Profit isn't the problem.  It's legal ownership of an
up-to-date version of the OS that concerns them.  For the same reason software
companies have to have a license to distribute their software with a Workbench
disk.

--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
                       |lost souls swimming in a fishbowl, year after year,
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/21/91)

In article <59XN18w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com
  (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>What?  This logic doesn't follow.  2.0 is already out there in
>thousands of A3000 computers.  It's no different than the A2000
>Developers versions except that the developers versions are *newer*
>versions that what's being shipped in current A3000's.  So your buggy
>beta version theory doesn't wash.

Actually, as a few people have pointed out, 'newer' != 'less buggy.'

>I would think it would be a bit more benificial for Commodore as
>Randall can just check Usenet here and hear of the gripes that people
>are having with thier *pirate* WB 2.0's and maybe he can fix them.
>After all, the more beta testers the better, no?

No.  More responsible beta testers is better than a random mass of beta
testers.  I'm not saying that the only responsible Amiga owners are
developers.  I'm saying that at least C= knows the developers are somewhat
knowledgable about the machine.  They can give reasonable bug reports to the
right people.  Many users couldn't give a better description than, "It crashes
when I run Amaze-A-Paint in Billo-Color mode."

Actually, that would just make more work for the people at Commdore.  Imagine
having to scan the entire comp.sys.amiga.* hierarchy for bug reports.  Also,
there is an established format for providing all the needed information for a
bug report.  I challenge anyone here to find a bug post that gave the exact
machine configuration, Kickstart version, Workbench version, name and version
of the program/library/etc. in question, method for producing the error,
conditions/configurations under which the error doesn't occur, and more.

Without revealing any proprietary info, let me give you an example.  I sent in
an enhancement request a while back.  I receieved mail the next day saying
that the feature would be added (it was rather simple).  Of course, my bug
reports didn't generate responses, but I like to think that they were too busy
to reply. ;-)

I couldn't expect the C= engineers to have that kind of performance if they had
to spend the time it would take to read the newsgroups in their entirety.  It
would take half their time just to collect the info, and then very little of
it would be valid (this is USENET, not reality ;).

However, the team seems to not mind listening to the net users' rantings
anyway. ;-)

>I am certainly not condoning piracy but I just don't see the harm in
>having or using WB 2.0 on your 2000 at this point in time.  If you
>want it, it's readily available even on Public Domain boards.

I certainly see the harm.  With pirate copies of the OS available many users
won't purchase the release version.  They will lack not only the bug fixes but
also the manuals.  The OS won't appear complete or solid to potential
customers.

Any board with a copy of 2.0 available for downloading is in violation of the
U.S. copyright laws.

Greg
--

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/21/91)

In a message From: greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp)

>In article <59XN18w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com
>  (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>>What?  This logic doesn't follow.  2.0 is already out there in
>>thousands of A3000 computers.  It's no different than the A2000
>>Developers versions except that the developers versions are *newer*
>>versions that what's being shipped in current A3000's.  So your buggy
>>beta version theory doesn't wash.
>
>Actually, as a few people have pointed out, 'newer' != 'less buggy.'

Yes, 3000 owners know this also.

>>I would think it would be a bit more benificial for Commodore as
>>Randall can just check Usenet here and hear of the gripes that people
>>are having with thier *pirate* WB 2.0's and maybe he can fix them.
>>After all, the more beta testers the better, no?
>
>No.  More responsible beta testers is better than a random mass of beta
>testers.  I'm not saying that the only responsible Amiga owners are
>developers.  I'm saying that at least C= knows the developers are somewhat
>knowledgable about the machine.  They can give reasonable bug reports to the
>right people.  Many users couldn't give a better description than, "It crashes
>when I run Amaze-A-Paint in Billo-Color mode."
>
>Actually, that would just make more work for the people at Commdore.  Imagine
>having to scan the entire comp.sys.amiga.* hierarchy for bug reports.  Also,
>there is an established format for providing all the needed information for a
>bug report.  I challenge anyone here to find a bug post that gave the exact
>machine configuration, Kickstart version, Workbench version, name and version
>of the program/library/etc. in question, method for producing the error,
>conditions/configurations under which the error doesn't occur, and more.

I agree.  Bug reports should be taken from registered developers first, and
general public owners later (and only when accompanied by the above mentioned
information in a complete form).

>Without revealing any proprietary info, let me give you an example.  I sent in
>an enhancement request a while back.  I receieved mail the next day saying
>that the feature would be added (it was rather simple).  Of course, my bug
>reports didn't generate responses, but I like to think that they were too busy
>to reply. ;-)

Gee, that's impressive.  It's nice to see C= working so quickly in fixing
problems and updating software.  I like to hear positive feedback about
C=! :-)

>I couldn't expect the C= engineers to have that kind of performance if they had
>to spend the time it would take to read the newsgroups in their entirety.  It
>would take half their time just to collect the info, and then very little of
>it would be valid (this is USENET, not reality ;).

I totally agree.

>However, the team seems to not mind listening to the net users' rantings
>anyway. ;-)

Thank goodness.

>>I am certainly not condoning piracy but I just don't see the harm in
>>having or using WB 2.0 on your 2000 at this point in time.  If you
>>want it, it's readily available even on Public Domain boards.
>
>I certainly see the harm.  With pirate copies of the OS available many users
>won't purchase the release version.  They will lack not only the bug fixes but
>also the manuals.  The OS won't appear complete or solid to potential
>customers.

I don't know if I agree completely with this.  The fact that they don't have
the "official" release and they don't have the manuals (especially the AREXX
portion) would (for most of the people I know with 3000s and the two
developers I know) be MORE reason to buy the ROMs.

>Any board with a copy of 2.0 available for downloading is in violation of the
>U.S. copyright laws.

Very true.

However, I concur with Mr. Lindabury that _selling_ 2.0 to 500 and 2000 users
in the same way that 3000 owners can have 2.0 with their purchase is rather
fair.  2000 and 500 owners with offical releases are just as deserving
(if not more so for their patience) as 3000 owners.  I don't think it's a
problem to ask for its release to the public (not that I think C= will).  If
you are a developer and you are the only one with 2.0, then we don't need it.
BUT, if my buddy just paid $3000 for a 3000 and has 2.0 and I spent almost
$6000 on my 2000 with accellerator so I could have something comparable and
I can't, I think I have VERY just cause to complain.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (04/21/91)

My one comment on this is: Don't lots of NON-developers already have 2.0
through their purchase of a 3000? If Commodore is hurt by pre-releases of 2.0,
why did they release it to 3000 owners? It seems like once it was released to
one set of owners, it could have been released to all of us. That's my only
complaint -- it's probably better that I don't have 2.0 yet, 'cause if I did I
would be spending too much time figuring out how to program it and not enough
time doing stuff I'm SUPPOSED to be doing.

I understand Commodore wanting to wait to release a very stable version, but
once they released a version they shouldn't have made most of us wait.

Anyway, I think I know how 1000 owners often feel :(

-- Greg Stelmack (stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu)

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/22/91)

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:

> My one comment on this is: Don't lots of NON-developers already have 2.0
> through their purchase of a 3000? If Commodore is hurt by pre-releases of 2.0
> why did they release it to 3000 owners? It seems like once it was released to
> one set of owners, it could have been released to all of us. That's my only
> complaint -- it's probably better that I don't have 2.0 yet, 'cause if I did
> would be spending too much time figuring out how to program it and not enough
> time doing stuff I'm SUPPOSED to be doing.

This is basically my same opinion.  I am running 2.0 on my A2000 and
I love it.  I'm not a developer so I guess I'm a naughty boy.
However, I plan on purchasing or whatever Commodore wants us to do
when the "official" version comes out but I am glad that I am getting
use to it now and I am conforming my system *NOW* to be fully 2.0
compliant.  After all, there are alot of things to change when you
switch to 2.0.

If it was released for the 3000, it should have been released at the
same time for A500 and A2000 owners.  I can't see how anyone can
justify it NOT being released to the others at the same time since
the 3000 just loads the image from disk anyway.  It just goes to show
you that Commodore doesn't do things like the other companies.  I
don't know if this is good or bad however.  If it was good enough to
release in 3000's, why wasn't it good enough to release to the others?

> I understand Commodore wanting to wait to release a very stable version, but
> once they released a version they shouldn't have made most of us wait.

Exactly.  There wouldn't be any Pirated versions of the OS around if
C= had released all versions at the same time on disk.  There would
have been *one* version out..the official version.  They could then
release more versions to the developers and also get feedback from
users with the one *official* version.

> Anyway, I think I know how 1000 owners often feel :(

Yeah...yech!  Ah..BTW, I am the sole user of my WB2.0 on my machine.
It hasn't left my abode.  Some may poo-poo me for having a version of
WB but I wanted to get use to the OS and I feel I am hurting nobody
if I quietly use the OS in the privacy of my own home and don't hand
it out to every Tom Dick and Harry like some people do.

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/23/91)

In article <gZPR16w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
>If it was released for the 3000, it should have been released at the
>same time for A500 and A2000 owners.  I can't see how anyone can
>justify it NOT being released to the others at the same time since
>the 3000 just loads the image from disk anyway.  It just goes to show
>you that Commodore doesn't do things like the other companies.  I
>don't know if this is good or bad however.  If it was good enough to
>release in 3000's, why wasn't it good enough to release to the others?

Well, for one thing the majority of Amigas are 1 meg machines.  These
machines don't have autoconfig memory in the right place for the ROM image.
The actual percentage of machines that can run the betas of 2.0 is pretty
small.

--
       Greg Harp       |"I was there to match my intellect on national TV,
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|            -- "I Lost on Jeopardy," Weird Al Yankovic

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (04/23/91)

In article <1292@screamer.csee.usf.edu> stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
>It seems like once it [2.0] was released to
>one set of owners, it could have been released to all of us.
>
>Anyway, I think I know how 1000 owners often feel :(

	??  I'm an A1000 owner (for more than 4 years) and I feel fine.
What a wonderful machine.  Perhaps I can't upgrade directly to 2.0, but
so what?  I still have a great computer.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (04/23/91)

In article <47661@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>Well, for one thing the majority of Amigas are 1 meg machines.  These
>machines don't have autoconfig memory in the right place for the ROM image.
>The actual percentage of machines that can run the betas of 2.0 is pretty
>small.

My machine has 3 megs, as do many other Amiga 2000 owners I know (many have
more). I am more than willing to move my boards around or whatever to get 2000
up and running. You have explained why some of us can't run it -- what about
those of us who can?

-- Greg Stelmack (stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu)

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr21.055446.11230@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>In a message From: greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp)

>>Without revealing any proprietary info, let me give you an example. I sent in
>>an enhancement request a while back.  I receieved mail the next day saying
>>that the feature would be added (it was rather simple).  Of course, my bug
>>reports didn't generate responses, but I like to think that they were too
>>busy to reply. ;-)
>
>Gee, that's impressive.  It's nice to see C= working so quickly in fixing
>problems and updating software.  I like to hear positive feedback about
>C=! :-)

  In defense of Commodore, I sent a report to bugs@commodore.com about what
I thought was a bug (in the end I guess it's not a bug) and got mail back
from Andy Finkle, THE NEXT DAY!  Make sure that if you submit a bug report
that you send complete information about the problem.  ;-)

			--George

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (04/24/91)

In article <gZPR16w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>Yeah...yech!  Ah..BTW, I am the sole user of my WB2.0 on my machine.
>It hasn't left my abode.  Some may poo-poo me for having a version of
>WB but I wanted to get use to the OS and I feel I am hurting nobody
>if I quietly use the OS in the privacy of my own home and don't hand
>it out to every Tom Dick and Harry like some people do.
>
>	-- Bob

     This will probably be pointed out several times, and don't take this
super-personally, but since you are running a pirated version of 2.0 on
you machine you must have gotten it from somewhere?  Someone must be handing
it out to every Tom, Dick, and Harry even if it's not you.  This is a bit
of a double standard isn't it?

					--George

P.S.:	I'm not trying to make too many waves...

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (04/25/91)

In article <gZPR16w164w@graphics.rent.com>, bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
> stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
>
>> My one comment on this is: Don't lots of NON-developers already have 2.0
>> through their purchase of a 3000? If Commodore is hurt by pre-releases of 2.0
>> why did they release it to 3000 owners? It seems like once it was released to
>> one set of owners, it could have been released to all of us. That's my only
>> complaint -- it's probably better that I don't have 2.0 yet, 'cause if I did
>> would be spending too much time figuring out how to program it and not enough
>> time doing stuff I'm SUPPOSED to be doing.
>
> This is basically my same opinion.  I am running 2.0 on my A2000 and
> I love it.  I'm not a developer so I guess I'm a naughty boy.
> However, I plan on purchasing or whatever Commodore wants us to do
> when the "official" version comes out but I am glad that I am getting
> use to it now and I am conforming my system *NOW* to be fully 2.0
> compliant.  After all, there are alot of things to change when you
> switch to 2.0.

And both of your opinions are wrong.  First off, the Amiga 3000 is a new
computer and it has a different kickstart loading mechanism than does
the A2000 / A500.  When 2.0 was initially released Zkick did not
exist, and kickit required memory to be in a certain location.  Many
people with A2000s could not run the software because they had a GVP
hardcard in the first slot.

In other words it would be a giant support nightmare for Commodore to
have released 2.0 for all machines.

Commodore would have suffered more than they could gain by releasing
a method for softloading kickstart into the A2000/A500.   How many of
you are really willing to give up 512k of RAM to run 2.0?

I think that beta software belongs in the hands of beta testers.  The
A3000 was provided with 1.3 and 2.0.  Remember that, and there was one major
update to 2.0 that was released.

It costs money to release and re-release and re-release software and
send it out.  Nay, they are doing the right thing.

> Yeah...yech!  Ah..BTW, I am the sole user of my WB2.0 on my machine.
> It hasn't left my abode.  Some may poo-poo me for having a version of
> WB but I wanted to get use to the OS and I feel I am hurting nobody
> if I quietly use the OS in the privacy of my own home and don't hand
> it out to every Tom Dick and Harry like some people do.

It is not up to you decide what will hurt Commodre and what will not.
You are violating the law.  Plain and simple.

>> -- Greg Stelmack (stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu)
>
> -- Bob
>
>  The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
>  ============================================================================
>   InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
>       UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
>     BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
>     Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "Mr. AmigaVision,  The 32 bit guy"
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================

IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) (04/25/91)

  Hey Mark Manes:   Run, don't walk, to your bookshelf and pick up your
                    Dictionary (If you own One) and look up the definition
                    of the word `opinion'.  Obviously you have no idea
                    what it means, or you wouldn't be trying to tell the
                    net that other people's opinions are wrong!  Opinions
                    can't be wrong... Their just how people feel about
                    a topic.  oops!, now you don't have to look it up..

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/30/91)

In article <1299@screamer.csee.usf.edu> stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
>My machine has 3 megs, as do many other Amiga 2000 owners I know (many have
>more). I am more than willing to move my boards around or whatever to get 2000
>up and running. You have explained why some of us can't run it -- what about
>those of us who can?

Well, C= has simply chosen not to release the betas for general use.  I
won't pretend to know what their reasoning is for this.

Be patient.  2.0 will be ROMed and released RSN.

Greg
--

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/01/91)

In article <91115.094355IO91461@MAINE.BITNET>, IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) writes:

>   Hey Mark Manes:   Run, don't walk, to your bookshelf and pick up your
>                     Dictionary (If you own One) and look up the definition
>                     of the word `opinion'.  Obviously you have no idea
>                     what it means, or you wouldn't be trying to tell the
>                     net that other people's opinions are wrong!  Opinions
>                     can't be wrong... Their just how people feel about
>                     a topic.  oops!, now you don't have to look it up..

RUBBISH! THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION.

Regards Alan

(I'm sure I'm going to regret this..)