[comp.sys.amiga.applications] PostScript Help

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (04/24/91)

In article <johhog.672326723@cia.docs.uu.se>, johhog@cia.docs.uu.se (Johan H|gberg) wrote:
>In <UK#_PA-5_@linac.fnal.gov> gad@linac.fnal.gov (Greg A. Deuerling) writes:
>>I have a DPaint picture I want to print out on a laser printer at work.
>>The laser printers we have are hooked up to Apples (yuck) or VMS
>
>I haven't done this by myself but I'm pretty sure that PageStream can do this.
>You will have to import the IFF picture to the dokument and print it out as
>postscript.

	Okay, I have the reverse problem. I am getting either 386s or A3000/16s
For the College Publications office. Now previously all this stuff was (is!)
done on Mac pluses, so all there are commonly available are Mac PS printers.
Can Pagestream or ProPage output a PS file that I could, say, convert into
MS-DOS format, take over using Apple File Exchange and print as a PS file. Or
even, (help!) is there an easier way?

Thanks.

p.s. we have a HP Laserjet III as well, but that can't get connected directly
to any Amigas (its on a 3Com network). Anyone got any ideas. I'd obviously
prefer the Amiga solution, but I may have to go 386.

--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,## We're dying from the moment we're conceived,
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##	Time wins, always.

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.191631.4706@maths.tcd.ie> mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) writes:
>	Okay, I have the reverse problem. I am getting either 386s or A3000/16s
>For the College Publications office. Now previously all this stuff was (is!)
>done on Mac pluses, so all there are commonly available are Mac PS printers.
>Can Pagestream or ProPage output a PS file that I could, say, convert into
>MS-DOS format, take over using Apple File Exchange and print as a PS file. Or
>even, (help!) is there an easier way?

Professional Page outputs beautiful PostScript.  I've written several papers
and reports using PPage 1.3 on my A2000.  I generate a PostScript output
file, copy it to a MSDOS disk using MSH, upload it to a SparcStation
here on campus and print it out on the local networked Apple Laserwriter.
Works great everytime.

Since MSH apparently doesn't work too well under 2.0 (haven't tried writing
MSDOS files yet on my A3000-25), you'd probably want to buy the commercial
CrossDOS (~$35) that does the same thing and does work under 2.0.

A better way is to connect the LaserWriters directly to your A3000's.  I
think there is a 3rd-party AppleTalk card as well.  Yet another way is to
buy Mac2Dos with a Macintosh external drive and copy the PostScript file to
a Macintosh floppy.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.191631.4706@maths.tcd.ie> mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) writes:
[...]
>Can Pagestream or ProPage output a PS file that I could, say, convert into
>MS-DOS format, take over using Apple File Exchange and print as a PS file. Or
>even, (help!) is there an easier way?

Pagestream can produce an encapsulated PS file which you can write to a
MS-Dos floppy using CrossDos, MessyDos, etc. I print my Pagestream
files buy having Pagestream write the file directly into my NFS print
spool directory on a Sun, which lpr then sends to the LaserWriter.

I expect ProPage can do this also.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
                  "Duct Tape is like the Force...
It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it holds the Universe together"

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (05/03/91)

I asked a question regarding introducing an Amiga (or 386) system into
an already existing Mac DTP office. Below are some of the most relevant
answers that I received. I am still amazed at being snowed under by an
absolute blizzard of replies. I'm including this in the hope that
someone else might find this of use as well.

For the record, I have decided to go Amiga. I persuaded the money people
to get a QMS-PS410 laser, which apparently has three serial inputs, so
it's relativly idiot proof (don't laugh, the guy before me didn't know
what a disk drive was called (it's an elected post)). They are still
hazing over the 386/Amiga choice, but I'll arrange a demo of AMAXII
and some IBM emulator and that should sort them out.
I'll also rig up some kermit stuff if they really need it. Although
an Amiga with AppleTalk is tempting, if a little pricey...

I dread having to explain to them the merits of multitasking though
"you mean you can work WHILE YOU PRINT?!?!?!?!?!?!?)

From: kpjeacle@unix1.tcd.ie (Karl Jeacle)
I use ProPage to
generate PS output, and put it on an MSDOS disk, bring it in to college,
and use AFE and then SendPS to print it.

There's a postscript interpreter called Post, which sends PS to screen,
dot matrix printer or iff file. It comes with a program call postlj,
which sends ps to laserjets. If I remember correctly, the author claims
he uses it with PPage's PS output for printing....

From: Eddy Carroll <ecarroll@maths.tcd.ie>
Going via File Exchange should work very nicely. The freeware MessyDOS PC
reader doesn't work too well under Workbench 2.0, so you'd probably need
to invest $30 in CrossDos to let the Amiga read/write PC disks. Big deal.
If you have easy access to the Laserwriter though, I'd tend to hook it
directly up to the Amiga via the serial port. I believe all that needs to
be changed to switch between AppleLink and the serial port is a DIP switch,
and it might even be possible to do it on the fly. Of course, this mightn't
make you very popular with any Mac users on the network but if it's in

Some of the Amiga network cards Commodore have brought out might be able to
help. You could try ringing CBM UK on O3-O628-77OO88 and asking for Dave
Pocock, who could probably tell you if it's possible to go that route. I
imagine he'd be reasonably interested in helping get Amiga's in the door at
a major Uni.

From: caw@miroc.chi.il.us
It is not necessarily cheap, but you might look into Progressive
Peripherals DoubleTalk card (about 400 bucks for the Zorro II model).  This
gives you AppleTalk and is supposed to be a very good implementaion (I
From: mrg@ihlpm.att.com
If all you want to do is use a Mac to print out a Postscript file that is
generated from either Pagestream or ProPage, click on the CMD icon (in Utilities
drawer I believe) and then start one of the two programs and print out your
document (using Postscipt, not dot matrix).  The CMD command takes the output

From: amish@loaner
transferring these files by *floppy* to print.   What I would suggest
is that you network some of the computers together...  If you don't
want to get an Appletalk network going (using DoubleTalk, by
Progressive Peripherals, I would suggest), then maybe you could even
just use some null modem adapters to connect a mac and an Amiga
together, and then you could build the parnet (parallel port network,
described in a document somewhere in ab20.larc.nasa.gov), to connect
the Amiga's.  Of course, the Appletalk network would be the nicest way
to get this done...

From: "Robin C. LaPasha" <ruslan@uncecs.edu>
as long as it gets to a PS printer eventually.  I wouldn't
recommend any file "conversion" while you're jumping between
AmigaDOS, MSDOS, and Mac, so in the transfer programs leave
all filtering off. (i.e. don't let it mess up the high-bit
stuff, as some text filters would do.)

Be warned that PageStream's PS output (in my tests) tended to
dump the font right down into the file.  (It was an unusual
font, definitely not the LaserWriter 35.)  So it'll be a big
file, and will want lots of printer memory.  On the other hand,
any PS printer with enough memory can print it just fine, whether
the font is around or not.