[comp.sys.amiga.applications] PasTex Help

hamlin@ral.rpi.edu (Gregory Hamlin) (05/06/91)

Hi,

I am trying to use PasTex with an amiga 2000, 1meg ram, and a hard drive.
Would some kind soul advise me as to appropriate config file values to let
the system run without "out of memory" errors.  (actually, if you could
mail me a config file that would be even better).  Also, I am am using
a panasonic KX-P1124 printer... Which fonts / resolutions should I use to
get the best output.  Is there anything else I should know about using
this printer with PasTex?

Greg Hamlin
hamlin@sol.ral.rpi.edu

hessmann@hal.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (05/07/91)

In article <+75g2jf@rpi.edu> hamlin@ral.rpi.edu (Gregory Hamlin) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I am trying to use PasTex with an amiga 2000, 1meg ram, and a hard drive.
>Would some kind soul advise me as to appropriate config file values to let
>the system run without "out of memory" errors.  (actually, if you could
>mail me a config file that would be even better).  Also, I am am using

Change this lines:
---from---
triesize        16000
itriesize       19000   % triesize (for IniTeX only)
---to-----
triesize        9000
itriesize       9000   % triesize (for IniTeX only)
----------

That should be enough for english hyphenation patterns.
(Maybe 8000 is enough)
If you have always memory trouble, decrease 'memmax' and 'memtop'.

>a panasonic KX-P1124 printer... Which fonts / resolutions should I use to
>get the best output.  Is there anything else I should know about using
>this printer with PasTex?

To what more common printer is your compatible?
Can it print: 180x180dpi or 360x360dpi or only 120x72dpi or 240x216dpi?

>Greg Hamlin
>hamlin@sol.ral.rpi.edu

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (05/07/91)

On a similar note, I have set up Pastex-1.2a and MF2_7 according to
instructions.  Virtex and ShowDVI work fine (excellent job, BTW).
However, on calling MakeTextFont.rexx (CallMF 0.82) or calling virmf
to create unknown fonts, I get an error:

rx MakeTextFont cmr10 237 91 91
Making font with name = cmr10 dpi = 237 and base x = 91  y = 91
MF commands: '\mode:=NineOne; \mag:=2.60439561; \input cmr10; \scrollmode'
This is METAFONT, C Version 2.7
Sorry, I can't find that base; will try the default.
(Fatal base file error; I'm stymied)

Now I have all fonts in the fonts directory - I can't understand what I'm doing
wrong.  What explicitly needs to be set for virmf to work?  I set all
environment variables to default values with a script on startup.

Thanks,
Veenu

mnbokaem@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Martin Bokaemper) (05/08/91)

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) writes:

[...]
>However, on calling MakeTextFont.rexx (CallMF 0.82) or calling virmf
>to create unknown fonts, I get an error:

>rx MakeTextFont cmr10 237 91 91
>Making font with name = cmr10 dpi = 237 and base x = 91  y = 91
>MF commands: '\mode:=NineOne; \mag:=2.60439561; \input cmr10; \scrollmode'
>This is METAFONT, C Version 2.7
>Sorry, I can't find that base; will try the default.
>(Fatal base file error; I'm stymied)

>Now I have all fonts in the fonts directory - I can't understand what I'm doing
>wrong.  What explicitly needs to be set for virmf to work?  I set all
>environment variables to default values with a script on startup.

Maybe you don't have a special base file for cm-fonts?

******** From README.usa **********
- If you only use plain.base and don't have a cmbase.base change the line
  cmbase     = "cmbase"
  in
  cmbase     = "plain"
  An extra cmbase-file does NOT have great advantages, you only win some
  seconds when loading.
**** end

Look at mf:bases if there is a 'cmbase.base'. If it's not there modify
'MakeTeXFont.rexx' in the way mentioned above.

>Thanks,
>Veenu

     ciao Martin.