[comp.sys.amiga.applications] When will new WordPerfect be available?

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (01/09/91)

Does anybody know when a better version of WordPerfect that will
function well under 2.0 will be out?  Will there be an upgrade to 5.0,
5.1, or even (drool) 6.0?

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

34MASRB@CMUVM.BITNET (JOHN OBERMESIK) (01/10/91)

When will the new WP be out?!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa!
In two weeks.  Everyone knows that.  At least that's what they've
been telling me for the last three months when I call them
every two weeks.  Mind you, I am referring to the update on 4.1,
not 5.0, 5.1, or even 6.0 or 9.756!  If they cannot produce an
update, how on earth will they make the giant leap to multiple
fonts, graphics, etc.  Sorry for the sarcasm, just being
realistic.  Still, all in all, I would choose WP over any of the
other available wordprocessors for the Amiga.  I can wait.

Need more info?  Tech support ph. 1-800-321-3204.

John Obermesik
34MASRB@CMUVM.BITNET

Radagast@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (01/11/91)

>Does anybody know when a better version of WordPerfect that will
>function well under 2.0 will be out?  Will there be an upgrade to 5.0,
>5.1, or even (drool) 6.0?

The last I heard, WP Corp. was only doing bug fixes for Amiga Word-
Perfect, and had no plans to upgrade to 5.0.  If they do start working
on it again, it will undoubtedly skip rev 5.

(Bug fixes have become available from time to time ever since support
was diminished.) -kls

wally@pallas.athenanet.com (Wally Hartshorn) (01/12/91)

I bought a used copy of WordPerfect.  I have the manual, the original
disks, and it was registered by the original owner.  After a time
I heard that there was an upgrade available.  I called WordPerfect
to find out what I needed to do to get the registration transferred
over to my name.  They needed the registration number (which I have)
and a letter from the original owner transferring his rights to me.
Unfortunately, the original owner sold it because he was in the process
of getting a divorce from his wife.  The last I heard of him, he was
living in a motel somewhere.  :-(  Anyway, I know someone who thinks
they can get in touch with him, so I'll get that taken care of eventually.

I use version 5.1 at work on a DOS machine and am VERY envious!  I'd
be happy if WordPerfect would just port over the non-graphics features
and release a 4.5 or something.  Perhaps now that the A3000 is out and
seems to be gaining popularity with the professional crowd we might be
able to talk WordPerfect into upgrading the Amiga version.
--
Wally (uunet!pallas!wally or wally@athenanet.com)

"Signature needed.  Apply within."

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (01/13/91)

In <510@pallas.athenanet.com> wally@pallas.athenanet.com (Wally Hartshorn) writes:

>I use version 5.1 at work on a DOS machine and am VERY envious!  I'd
>be happy if WordPerfect would just port over the non-graphics features
>and release a 4.5 or something.  Perhaps now that the A3000 is out and
>seems to be gaining popularity with the professional crowd we might be
>able to talk WordPerfect into upgrading the Amiga version.

I can't see what is so desirable about WordPerfect 5.1 on a DOS
machine, that cannot be done better on an Amiga without WordPerfect.
WP5 is slow, clunky, chunky, over-weight, overbearing, and lacking in
usefulness.

If you really wanted to do "professional" typesetting, especially
without graphics, then you should be using TeX.  AmigaTeX in
particular by Tomas Rokicki is by far the most wonderful piece of
software that is available on the Amiga for any type of textual
output.  It is especially suited to "professionals" who need to
typeset mathematics and tables.

Unlike a WYSIWYG system, such as WP5 or a page layout program, TeX
handles all the kerning, paragraphing, spacing, margins, page breaks,
indenting, centering, and other subtle details automatically.  Title
pages, Abstracts, Tables of Contents, List  of Figures, List of
Tables, Chapters, Sections, Subsections, Bibliographies, References,
footnotes, figures, tables, references to numbering of
tables/figures/etc, ALL numbering (page, chapter, section, etc.), and
virtually everything else is all done for you.

You just have to supply the meat and potatoes along with a bit of
spice (some magic keywords) to do anything in LaTeX.

And if you do want to include IFF or PostScript graphics in your
document, that is possible too without any more effort than inserting
a line of text.

Additionally, the Amiga is such a superior environment for TeX because
it is multitasking.  Arexx allows one to have a completely integrated
environment.  With ARexx, CygnusEd, TeX, preview, ISpell, MetaFont,
and some DVI printer drivers the AmigaTeX environment becomes much
more desirable than WP5 or any other WYSIWYG system.

Of course, these are only my opinions (subjective as they may be).  I
don't have any affiliation with Radical Eye Software.  I just fell in
love with AmigaTeX, and I think every Amiga owner should at least look
into what AmigaTeX is, to see what they are missing.

Ben
--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  (416)-431-3333
150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen

In article <1991Jan12.223304.28382@contact.uucp> ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) writes:
>I can't see what is so desirable about WordPerfect 5.1 on a DOS
>machine, that cannot be done better on an Amiga without WordPerfect.
>WP5 is slow, clunky, chunky, over-weight, overbearing, and lacking in
>usefulness.

	Many people trash WP. Many of those people (I obviously
don't know you) never bothered to learn it. Word Perfect has a
steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, WP is very
powerful and producive. At that point, it is neither slow, nor
clunky, nor chunky, nor over-weight, maybe overbearing but
certainly not useless.

>If you really wanted to do "professional" typesetting, especially
>without graphics, then you should be using TeX.  AmigaTeX in
>particular by Tomas Rokicki is by far the most wonderful piece of
>software that is available on the Amiga for any type of textual
>output.  It is especially suited to "professionals" who need to
>typeset mathematics and tables.

	Well if we want to talk about WP/editors that have a
steep learning curve, TeX takes the cake. You can certainly
become proficient in WordPerfect in the same time it takes to be
proficient at TeX. WordPerfect handles kerning, etc., including
high-quality fonts. Admittedly its main failing is that WP5.1
isn't available for the Amiga.

	Basically, WP just gets a lot more criticism than it
deserves. It isn't the greatest thing the world has ever seen,
but then it isn't the worst either.
	-- Ethan

	"Don't forget the importance of the family. It begins
with the family. We're not going to redefine the family.
Everybody knows the definition of the family. ... A child. ... A
mother. ... A father. There are other arrangements of the family,
but that is a family and family values."

	-- Dan Quayle, of course. Our beloved Vice President.
	It's just too easy!

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (01/13/91)

In article <1991Jan12.223304.28382@contact.uucp> ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) writes:
>In <510@pallas.athenanet.com> wally@pallas.athenanet.com (Wally Hartshorn) writes:
>
>>I use version 5.1 at work on a DOS machine and am VERY envious!  I'd
>>be happy if WordPerfect would just port over the non-graphics features
>>and release a 4.5 or something.  Perhaps now that the A3000 is out and
>>seems to be gaining popularity with the professional crowd we might be
>>able to talk WordPerfect into upgrading the Amiga version.
>
>Additionally, the Amiga is such a superior environment for TeX because
>it is multitasking.  Arexx allows one to have a completely integrated
>environment.  With ARexx, CygnusEd, TeX, preview, ISpell, MetaFont,
>and some DVI printer drivers the AmigaTeX environment becomes much
>more desirable than WP5 or any other WYSIWYG system.

	I'd like to put in a plug for MSS Excellence.  For those of you
who don't need the powerfull mathematical formatting capabilities of TeX
there is MSS Excellence.  Excellence 2.0 is a WYSIWYG word processor that
supports postscript (even color postscript!), and virtual memory.  The
program is stable under 2.0 and seems to multitask very well.  Excellence
has a large dictionary (to check your spelling :) and a large thesarus (for
those hard to describe things).  I've heard that it is similar to Microsoft
Word, though I've never used Word.  That may or may not be a good point for
people here.  At least using the PostScript fonts, Excellence seems to be
reasonably true to its WYSIWYG claim.

--

George L. Skank			|
skank@iastate.edu		|Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (01/14/91)

>>	I'd like to put in a plug for MSS Excellence.  For those of you
>>who don't need the powerfull mathematical formatting capabilities of TeX
>>there is MSS Excellence.  Excellence 2.0 is a WYSIWYG word processor that
>>supports postscript (even color postscript!), and virtual memory.  The
>>program is stable under 2.0 and seems to multitask very well.  Excellence
>>has a large dictionary (to check your spelling :) and a large thesarus (for
>>those hard to describe things).  I've heard that it is similar to Microsoft
>>Word, though I've never used Word.  That may or may not be a good point for
>>people here.  At least using the PostScript fonts, Excellence seems to be
>>reasonably true to its WYSIWYG claim.

	Excellence 2.0 is in no way comparable to MS Word.  It doesn't
even come close.  It is somewhat comparable to MacWrite II, but not as
polished.  I'll discuss the specific reasons below, but first I should
start at the beginning of the story.

Installation

My cousin bought Excellence 2.0 over Christmas break.  The first thing
we tried to do was install it on is HD.  No problem, I thought, the
program comes with an installation program for HD.  I followed the the
instructions for starting the installation, but the installer wouldn't
run.  It turned out that it had been renamed on the disk.  Once I ran
the renamed version is started up and then shut down.  I could never
get the installer to work.  Ok, I thought I'd just look inthe manual
to see where to put the various files and what I'd need.  Surprise,
the manual just indicates that the installer program will put the
files in the correct directory.  Even finding the necessary assigns
was difficult.  After about an hour or so of frustration the program
was finally installed.

Inital Run

	Excellence 2.0 claims to run in 1 meg.  That's true enough, it
just doesn't do much.  With a virus checker and dmouse running there
wasn't even enough memory to bring up a file requestor.  I tried to
turn on the virtual memory option, but it didn't seem to work.  On a
one meg Mac you can run MS Word 4.0 just fine.  You can't multitask
(you can't even run Multifinder), but Word will work well.  I wouldn't
seriously consider Excellence unless you have more than one meg.  Most
of the functions wouldn't run in 1 meg.

Printing

	Printing (to a 24 pin epson) was Ok.  Nothing great.  No where
near as good as LaTeX output to the same printer.  I suspect that the
best way to print is to use postscript output and then print using
Post.

Features

	Where excellence really loses (as compared to MS Word) is in
its lack of styles.  In Word you can create named paragraph styles
that indicate how to format a paragraph.  For example, you can create
a quote style that indents the right and left margin .5 inches and
sets the font to 10 point (down from 12 point used in the rest of the
document).  Whenever you want a long quote, you just type it in and
apply this style.  Later on, you might decide that you want a
different format quotes (perhaps you want 12 point text).  Without
styles you would have to go to each quote in your document and change
each paragraph format.  With styles, you just edit the quote style and
all paragraphs with that format are automatically changed.  Paragraph
styles include many different parameters.  You can set spacing,
margins, tabs, space before and the parargaph, and many more.  Styles
are also hierarchically related in that lower styles can inherit
features from higher styles.  Thus, if all of your styles are
organized under the normal style, you can change the font type of the
normal style and the font type of every paragraph in your document
will change.

	Instead of styles, Excellence has rulers that can be placed in
the text.  This is equivalent to MacWrite II.  The problem is that
there is no way to make global formatting changes.  You must change
every instance.  You also don't have as many parameters to set, so you
don't have as much control over the formatting.

	Finally, there is no way to automate bibliogrphies in
Excellence.  With Word, I use a program called EndNote that keeps a
database of entries.  When I want to reference an entry, I just place
a pointer in the Word document to the entry.  When I'm ready to print,
EndNote reads the Word file and spits out another Word file with my
bibliogrphy entries and in-text citations formatted according to a
desired bibliographic style.  EndNote also works with many other Mac
WP's.

	If you really want to do WP on the Amiga, I'd suggest that you
either buy AmigaTeX (or use a PD LaTeX) and resign yourself to the fact
that some simple things will be impossibly difficult to do (just try
to change a font or go from single to double spacing), or buy AMax II
and Word 4.0 (which works well under Amax), or buy a Mac and Word.
Another nice aspect of Word is that the educational discount price is
only $69.

	I would caution, however, that all WYSIWYG word procesors
(including Word and FrameMaker) still have serious limitations (No
cross-referencing in Word 4.0, for example).  If you absolutely must
have the best, and you have the time to invest (you'll need lots if
you really want to customize things), TeX or LaTeX is the
only way to go.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (01/14/91)

And in <1991Jan12.223304.28382@contact.uucp> <ben@contact.uucp> writes:

>If you really wanted to do "professional" typesetting, especially
>without graphics, then you should be using TeX.  AmigaTeX in
>particular by Tomas Rokicki is by far the most wonderful piece of
>software that is available on the Amiga for any type of textual
>output.  It is especially suited to "professionals" who need to
>typeset mathematics and tables.

   Talk about a steep learning curve!  TeX is fine, as long as you have
a degree in typesetting or have a lot of time to learn to use it.  TeX
is powerful, but is in the same category with programs like AutoCAD in
terms of how easy it is to learn to use it.

And in <1991Jan13.092642.1759@news.iastate.edu> <skank@iastate.edu> writes:

>   I'd like to put in a plug for MSS Excellence.  For those of you
>who don't need the powerfull mathematical formatting capabilities of TeX
>there is MSS Excellence.  Excellence 2.0 is a WYSIWYG word processor that
>supports postscript (even color postscript!), and virtual memory.  The
>program is stable under 2.0 and seems to multitask very well.  Excellence
>has a large dictionary (to check your spelling :) and a large thesarus (for
>those hard to describe things).  I've heard that it is similar to Microsoft
>Word, though I've never used Word.  That may or may not be a good point for
>people here.  At least using the PostScript fonts, Excellence seems to be
>reasonably true to its WYSIWYG claim.

   Excellence! has the most misleading name of any Amiga program yet.
It is better named 'mediocrity!' because that is exactly what it is.  None
of the Amiga word processors (yes, I have tried them all) can even begin
to hold a candle to Microsoft Word for the Macintosh.  Anyone who doubts
this has never even tried Microsoft Word.

   All of the Amiga word processors (yes, *ALL* of them) are but fancy
text editors compared to MS Word.  Sure, the basic features are there --
such as color graphics, a thesaurus, a spell checker, and maybe a
grammatics tool -- but none of them have any depth whatsoever.  And it
is in depth that MS Word truly excels over any other word processor.

   If anyone doubts that MS Word is not vastly better than any of the
Amiga word processors, I suggest you take a look at the book entitled
'Working with Word, Second Edition'.  This book is over 700 pages long,
and yet none of it is fluff.  Every one of the 700+ pages is filled
with information on using MS Word.  I had been using MS Word for over
a year, and did not realize just how powerful this word processor is
until I got this book.  MS Word has features that go well beyond just
word processing, and well into desktop publishing and typesetting.
It rivals TeX capabilities, and yet is as easy-to-use as any of the
Amiga word processors.

   I find, as I read the Amiga newsgroups and talk to Amiga users, that
Amiga users think that the Amiga word processors are good simply because
they have never seen anything powerful like MS Word.  If they did, they
would realize just how incredibly weak these word processors are.

   As for the original poster's question about when WordPerfect for the
Amiga will be significantly upgraded, the answer is probably never.  The
WordPerfect company lost a lot of money on the Amiga, mostly out of
stupidity on their part.  They produced a non-graphics word processor
for a graphics-oriented computer, and wondered why it wasn't selling.
They know that if they had produced a non-graphics word processor for
the MAC, it would have been regarded as an insult to the MAC, and they
would be lucky to sell 10 copies.  Yet they did precisely this to the
Amiga.  Unfortunately, Amiga users are more forgiving than MAC users,
and it sold well for a while, but then sales slumped and they didn't
know why.  Finally, they threatened to cut Amiga support entirely,
blaming the Amiga for lackluster sales when their own total stupidity
was to blame.

   Don't try to pursuade Word Perfect into better supporting the Amiga,
because it won't work.  When WordPerfect Corp. threatened to cut
development of Amiga WordPerfect entirely, I organized  massive
letter writing campaign (by leaving messages on CI$, and writing
letters to a couple of Amiga magazines -- letters that were printed,
BTW), and this only succeeded in getting them to keep a pathetic
two programmers to update the Amiga version of WordPerfect.  By
comparison, WordPerfect keeps a staff of over 30 programmers to
update the MAC version.

   The really sad part of this is that other big-name companies like
Microsoft, Lotus, Aldus, and Adobe will probably never write software
for the Amiga, because one big-name company tried to support the Amiga
and lost a lot of money.

                                 -MB-

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan14.002805.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>In <510@pallas.athenanet.com> wally@pallas.athenanet.com (Wally Hartshorn) writes:
>
>>>I use version 5.1 at work on a DOS machine and am VERY envious!  I'd
>>>be happy if WordPerfect would just port over the non-graphics features
>>>and release a 4.5 or something.  Perhaps now that the A3000 is out and
>>>seems to be gaining popularity with the professional crowd we might be
>>>able to talk WordPerfect into upgrading the Amiga version.
>
>And in <1991Jan12.223304.28382@contact.uucp> <ben@contact.uucp> writes:
>
>>If you really wanted to do "professional" typesetting, especially
>>without graphics, then you should be using TeX.  AmigaTeX in
>>particular by Tomas Rokicki is by far the most wonderful piece of
>>software that is available on the Amiga for any type of textual
>>output.  It is especially suited to "professionals" who need to
>>typeset mathematics and tables.
>
>   Talk about a steep learning curve!  TeX is fine, as long as you have
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>a degree in typesetting or have a lot of time to learn to use it.  TeX
>is powerful, but is in the same category with programs like AutoCAD in
>terms of how easy it is to learn to use it.
>
>And in <1991Jan13.092642.1759@news.iastate.edu> <skank@iastate.edu> writes:
>
>>   I'd like to put in a plug for MSS Excellence.  For those of you
>>who don't need the powerfull mathematical formatting capabilities of TeX
>>there is MSS Excellence.  Excellence 2.0 is a WYSIWYG word processor that
>>supports postscript (even color postscript!), and virtual memory.  The
>>program is stable under 2.0 and seems to multitask very well.  Excellence
>>has a large dictionary (to check your spelling :) and a large thesarus (for
>>those hard to describe things).  I've heard that it is similar to Microsoft
>>Word, though I've never used Word.  That may or may not be a good point for
>>people here.  At least using the PostScript fonts, Excellence seems to be
>>reasonably true to its WYSIWYG claim.
>
>   Excellence! has the most misleading name of any Amiga program yet.
>It is better named 'mediocrity!' because that is exactly what it is.  None
>of the Amiga word processors (yes, I have tried them all) can even begin
>to hold a candle to Microsoft Word for the Macintosh.  Anyone who doubts
>this has never even tried Microsoft Word.
>
>   All of the Amiga word processors (yes, *ALL* of them) are but fancy
>text editors compared to MS Word.  Sure, the basic features are there --
>such as color graphics, a thesaurus, a spell checker, and maybe a
>grammatics tool -- but none of them have any depth whatsoever.  And it
>is in depth that MS Word truly excels over any other word processor.
       ^^^^

>   If anyone doubts that MS Word is not vastly better than any of the
>Amiga word processors, I suggest you take a look at the book entitled
>'Working with Word, Second Edition'.  This book is over 700 pages long,
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>and yet none of it is fluff.  Every one of the 700+ pages is filled
>with information on using MS Word.  I had been using MS Word for over
>a year, and did not realize just how powerful this word processor is
>until I got this book.  MS Word has features that go well beyond just
>word processing, and well into desktop publishing and typesetting.
>It rivals TeX capabilities, and yet is as easy-to-use as any of the
>Amiga word processors.
>
>   I find, as I read the Amiga newsgroups and talk to Amiga users, that
>Amiga users think that the Amiga word processors are good simply because
>they have never seen anything powerful like MS Word.  If they did, they
>would realize just how incredibly weak these word processors are.
>
>   As for the original poster's question about when WordPerfect for the
>Amiga will be significantly upgraded, the answer is probably never.  The
>WordPerfect company lost a lot of money on the Amiga, mostly out of
>stupidity on their part.  They produced a non-graphics word processor
>for a graphics-oriented computer, and wondered why it wasn't selling.
>They know that if they had produced a non-graphics word processor for
>the MAC, it would have been regarded as an insult to the MAC, and they
>would be lucky to sell 10 copies.  Yet they did precisely this to the
>Amiga.  Unfortunately, Amiga users are more forgiving than MAC users,
>and it sold well for a while, but then sales slumped and they didn't
>know why.  Finally, they threatened to cut Amiga support entirely,
>blaming the Amiga for lackluster sales when their own total stupidity
>was to blame.
>
>   Don't try to pursuade Word Perfect into better supporting the Amiga,
>because it won't work.  When WordPerfect Corp. threatened to cut
>development of Amiga WordPerfect entirely, I organized  massive
>letter writing campaign (by leaving messages on CI$, and writing
>letters to a couple of Amiga magazines -- letters that were printed,
>BTW), and this only succeeded in getting them to keep a pathetic
>two programmers to update the Amiga version of WordPerfect.  By
>comparison, WordPerfect keeps a staff of over 30 programmers to
>update the MAC version.
>
>   The really sad part of this is that other big-name companies like
>Microsoft, Lotus, Aldus, and Adobe will probably never write software
>for the Amiga, because one big-name company tried to support the Amiga
>and lost a lot of money.
>

>                                 -MB-

  WHo cares about Fancy Dancy big name companies. Most Microsoft stuff is
crap, Lotus is a company whom I feel everyone should boycott(because of
some of the stuff they are trying to do with copyright laws, databases of
credit info, etc See comp.org.eff.talk, or the LPF at GNU)

If Word is so great, why does it take 700 pages to describe how it works?
Word Processors are supposed to be intuitive!
You keep citing the 'depth' that Word has over other word processors, how
about listing SPECIFIC examples and features? And how do you know
what big name companies think? Lotus, Microsoft, etc don't lose money
porting software, they MAKE money. I recall a discussion on a local net
a while back that said Lotus requires you to pay them between $7-15 million
to do a port (more than Commodore's profit for 1 year.) Even if they sold
only 1 copy, they still made plenty.

  I just got a demo of TurboText (an Amiga editor from abcfd20). This is
THEE best text editor I have ever seen. It blows Emacs, CED, TxEd, BRIEF out of
the water.
  Marc, are you certain you own every Amiga word processor on the market?
Are you a pirate? Why don't you post a complete list of every word processor
on the Amiga (since you've tried them all) and what they are lacking to
Word?

It all boils down to 'bandwagon' and 'big-name.' Alot of people aren't using
things because of their quality, but because of their name/reputation.
People don't wear rolexes because they are the most technically superior
watch on the market. They wear them because they are 'in' and expensive.
The same thing applies to things like WordPerfect, 1-2-3, IBM.

Generally, I am skeptical about statements like
'I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market, and noneof them compare to
XYZ.'.

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan14.002805.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>It is better named 'mediocrity!' because that is exactly what it is.  None
>of the Amiga word processors (yes, I have tried them all) can even begin

"I have tried them all" - Very impressive. Considering your vast experience
I wouldn't dream of arguing with your conclusions. I would suggest trying
new versions of those programs though. Prowrite 3.1 is a quite decent mid-
range wp. The market for high-end wp and other expensive programs will grow
for the amiga due to the price of the A3000. It is much easier to sell a
program that costs less than the cpu. I won't keep you from testing more
software now...

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (01/14/91)

>It all boils down to 'bandwagon' and 'big-name.' Alot of people aren't using
>things because of their quality, but because of their name/reputation.
>People don't wear rolexes because they are the most technically superior
>watch on the market. They wear them because they are 'in' and expensive.
>The same thing applies to things like WordPerfect, 1-2-3, IBM.
>
>Generally, I am skeptical about statements like
>'I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market, and noneof them compare to
>XYZ.'.

The Amiga has absolutely nothing that compares to WP, Lotus 123 or even
DBase 3. So don't be so skeptical, _WE_ amiga users need these packages
and the people, like you, who claim we don't, obviously don't have a
need for such software. _F*CK_, I had to buy a bridgeboard just to use a
good spreadsheet!

Matt Crowd.

In article <1991Jan14.092400.10827@marlin.jcu.edu.au> glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) writes:
>The Amiga has absolutely nothing that compares to WP, Lotus 123 or even
>DBase 3. So don't be so skeptical, _WE_ amiga users need these packages
>and the people, like you, who claim we don't, obviously don't have a
>need for such software. _F*CK_, I had to buy a bridgeboard just to use a
>good spreadsheet!
>
>Matt Crowd.

	Now, now. Amiga "business" software isn't BAD. Current
software is good, perhaps even quite good, however we do not have
the highest support. Specifically, we lack good graphing
utilities, which is surprising considering the Amiga has such
good graphics. Most of the better Amiga graphing programs are
mathematics packages, not spreadsheet/statistics.
	However, Analyze from GoldDisk and SuperBase from
Precision are both good programs very usable for most people,
just not the most demanding.
	-- Ethan

	"Don't forget the importance of the family. It begins
with the family. We're not going to redefine the family.
Everybody knows the definition of the family. ... A child. ... A
mother. ... A father. There are other arrangements of the family,
but that is a family and family values."

	-- Dan Quayle, of course. Our beloved Vice President.
	It's just too easy!

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (01/15/91)

     God I hate my self for saying this but, Mark Barret is right about the
applications in the Amiga world.  Have any of you who are flaming MB tried
Word or 123?  Word for the MAC is one of the best, if not the best,
wordprocessors around.  I have tried both Excellence and ProWrite (Yes, the
latest versions) and still they don't compare to Word.  How do I try all of
these new programs?  I told several friends that there were no Amiga
wordprocessors that compare to Word, and it has become their single goal in
life to prove me wrong.  I hope that they do, but for now the Word is still
the best.  As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the
standard (please no flames :) ).  Go into any major company and see which
spredsheet they use, 9 times out of 10 it will be 123. You can complain all you
want about their lawsuits, but their support of their product is incredible,
and I for one am praying that they soon port 123 to the Amiga.  So if you
want to flame Mark Barret, please try the programs you are taling about.

                                             Ajai

eas3714@isc.rit.edu (E.A. Story ) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.090123.15984@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
>In article <1991Jan14.002805.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>>
>>It is better named 'mediocrity!' because that is exactly what it is.  None
>>of the Amiga word processors (yes, I have tried them all) can even begin
>
>"I have tried them all" - Very impressive. Considering your vast experience
>I wouldn't dream of arguing with your conclusions. I would suggest trying
>new versions of those programs though. Prowrite 3.1 is a quite decent mid-
>range wp. The market for high-end wp and other expensive programs will grow
>for the amiga due to the price of the A3000. It is much easier to sell a
>program that costs less than the cpu. I won't keep you from testing more
>software now...
>
>/Jorgen

Just curious about Prowrite 3.1... DOes it have decent text output on a
dot matrix printer (9-pin).. I saw it on a friends computer and it
seemed that it could only get good text output by using the graphics
output of the printer.. really stupid and unacceptable.. not everyone
can afford to wait for 20 mins while it prints out a page of text.. and
its "Draft" mode using the printer's fonts didn't format well at all...
came out all screwed up...

I think I'll stick to my myriad PD text editors until SOMETHING with
decent text output comes along.  There is a REASON printers have a text
mode... not everyone can afford a postscript or super 24-pin printer.

 				---Ezra

--
"That's a rather moist turtle you have there!"
Ezra Story, a student at RIT, and

epeterso@houligan.encore.com (Eric Peterson) (01/15/91)

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

| Most Microsoft stuff is crap,

Is this a statement of personal experience or one of second-hand
information?  Sounds to me more like the latter, especially since
Microsoft puts out some of the highest quality software in the MS-DOS
world.

| Lotus is a company whom I feel everyone should boycott(because of
| some of the stuff they are trying to do with copyright laws, databases of
| credit info, etc See comp.org.eff.talk, or the LPF at GNU)

As has been discussed at length on various news groups, Lotus
Marketplace contains *no* information that is subject to the Fair
Credit Reporting Act.  They are *not* distributing credit information.
They are, however, including estimates of personal income which
consumers have freely provided, generally through product registration
cards.  But that's besides the point.

| If Word is so great, why does it take 700 pages to describe how it works?
| Word Processors are supposed to be intuitive!

Word is intuitive, just as much as any other GUI product.  I've sat
down at a Mac and churned out documents with Word without ever
touching the manual or calling up the help screen.  Of course, what I
think you really meant is WordPerfect, not Word (two diferent
products), which is also intuitive, both in the MS-DOS version (5.1)
and in the AmigaDOS version (4.1).

I think 700 pages is an appropriate size for such a manual, which
probably does not cover the complete functionality of Word or WP.  But
it's long enough to include most everything you could want to do
without scaring people away from itself.  Remember that this is the
*reference* manual we're talking about, not the *user* manual.

| You keep citing the 'depth' that Word has over other word processors, how
| about listing SPECIFIC examples and features?

Oh, please, let's not get into a features war here (and if we do,
let's take it to .advocacy so that those of us concerned with real
issues don't have to watch).

| And how do you know
| what big name companies think? Lotus, Microsoft, etc don't lose money
| porting software, they MAKE money.

When you do the port yourself, as WordPerfect is doing, you lose money
when your money invested in the port doesn't return your original
investment.

| I recall a discussion on a local net
| a while back that said Lotus requires you to pay them between $7-15 million
| to do a port (more than Commodore's profit for 1 year.) Even if they sold
| only 1 copy, they still made plenty.

True in Lotus' case, but not in the case of WordPerfect, which I
believe is the topic here.

|   I just got a demo of TurboText (an Amiga editor from abcfd20). This is
| THEE best text editor I have ever seen. It blows Emacs, CED, TxEd, BRIEF out of
| the water.

TurboText is a *text*editor*, not a *word*processor*.  There is a VERY
big difference between the two, in addition to the fact that your
statement is yet again irrelevant.

| It all boils down to 'bandwagon' and 'big-name.'

It all boils down to "quality" and "functionality", not "image".

| Alot of people aren't using
| things because of their quality, but because of their name/reputation.
| People don't wear rolexes because they are the most technically superior
| watch on the market. They wear them because they are 'in' and expensive.
| The same thing applies to things like WordPerfect, 1-2-3, IBM.

WordPerfect is a *very* powerful word processor.  If you'd ever
actually tried to use it beyond demonstrating to yourself that you
hate it, you would know that.  It's not elegant, but it works.  And
it would be particularly wonderful if there was an Amiga version of
5.1, which is what this thread was all about in the first place.

Personally, I'd love to see WP5.1 ported to the Amiga.  (Actually, I'd
like to see FrameMaker for the Amiga, but this is probably possible
under Amiga Unix).

Ugh.

Eric
--
       Eric Peterson <> epeterson@encore.com <> uunet!encore!epeterson
   Encore Computer Corp. * Ft. Lauderdale, Florida * (305) 587-2900 x 5208

ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.002805.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   The really sad part of this is that other big-name companies like
>Microsoft, Lotus, Aldus, and Adobe will probably never write software
>for the Amiga, because one big-name company tried to support the Amiga
>and lost a lot of money.

Yes, but it was WordPerfects amazing stupidity that lost money.  Let's
look at a prime example of how to release a product that nobody will
loose money:

a)  Release a product that does not support the user interface of the
    target machine properly.
b)  Release an older version of a product when newer versions are being
    released one other machines.
c)  Promise updates versions and don't deliver.

I am also getting to the point where I seriously believe that a company
that announces a product (eg. Borland) should be legally held to
producing that product.  I am 90% certain that this view is legally
upholdable, if only from the point that the original announcement was
false advertising.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-9400
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433

palmerc@infonode.ingr.com (Chris Palmer) (01/15/91)

In article <91014.113702AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>Have any of you who are flaming MB tried
>Word or 123?  Word for the MAC is one of the best, if not the best,
>wordprocessors around.
>As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the
>standard (please no flames :) ).  Go into any major company and see which
>spredsheet they use, 9 times out of 10 it will be 123.

I will agree with you 100% that Microsoft Word (for the Mac) is one of, if
not the, best word processing programs I have ever used and that includes
different programs on at least six different machines and operating systems
plus several dedicated word processing units.  The ease of use, speed, and
sheer power of it make it a winner.  It still has some faults (spell checking
comes to mind), but its virtues outweigh them.  I use WordPerfect on my Amiga
because it is the only program I have found that is both powerful and fast.
It is by no means pretty, easy to use, or flexible, but I've had to learn to
live with it.

I have to disagree, however, about Lotus 1-2-3.  I do not believe that
being an industry standard says very much about the quality of your product
(look at IBM, :-) ).  It would look good to potential business customers to
have 1-2-3 available for the Amiga, but I don't know how many hardcore
Amiga people would use it.  I've used 1-2-3 many times, and every time I
use it I am amazed at how much I don't like it.  Analyze!, or even several
PD programs like AnalytiCalc, are as powerful and more easy to use and even
1-2-3 compatible to some extent.  I hate to give so much good press to
MicroSoft considering their prejudice against non-IBM/Mac stuff, but
MicroSoft Excel on the Mac is an excellent spreadsheet.

To be extra fair on the above reviews, I worked during college doing typing,
data-entry, and desktop publishing on Macintoshes at a local business.  We
had tons of software at our disposal, but Word, Excel, Adobe Illustrator,
and Aldus Pagemaker were used 100 times more often than any other packages.
Ironically, I haven't found Amiga software in the same niches that are half
as nice as the above mentioned four packages.

P.S.  I've run all four packages on IBM compatibles (386-based, Windows, etc.)
      and I must say that I was not at all impressed.  I guess I'm really
      prejudiced against IBM systems.

--
|  Christopher M. Palmer                     #                                |
/  Intergraph Corporation                    #                                \

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (01/15/91)

In article <1092@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:

> Yes, but it was WordPerfects amazing stupidity that lost money.  Let's
> look at a prime example of how to release a product that nobody will
> loose money:
>
> a)  Release a product that does not support the user interface of the
>     target machine properly.

They were close enough.  All of WP's versions of WP go by the function
keys, but the Mac, Amiga, ST versions ALSO permit you to use the the
pull-down windows.  I've helped (Amiga only) people get up to speed on
AmigaWP and they didn't have any problem.

> b)  Release an older version of a product when newer versions are being
>     released one other machines.
> c)  Promise updates versions and don't deliver.

Both true... though I think c) is more due to rumors started outside
of the company not coming true.

Your first statement about losing money is not completely correct.  WP
made BIG bucks on AmigaWP when it was first released.  They were often
quoted as paying their development costs in 2 or 3 months.  That's a
great trick.  They lost money when they didn't think before they moved
into Germany.  They heard that there were tons of Amigas in Germany so
they paid big $$$ to translate the manuals, etc.  What they didn't
know (though they could have asked ANYONE) is that piracy is so bad in
Germany, you can't spend big $$$ and still make a profit.  If you're
going to produce products for Germany you have to spend very little
money.  WordPerfect Corp. refuses to do that.  They will only make a
top of the line program with a better-than-top manual.  So, they lost
big.

Tom's big tip for the day:  :-)

"Remember folks, if you want to make money by selling software in
Germany, you have to do a rush job and spend as little as possible.
Sure this means you'll produce total crap and most likely a useless
product, but it's caled Economic Reality.  Software piracy leads to
crappy software."

Tom
--
tlimonce@drew.edu     Tom Limoncelli      "Flash!  Flash!  I love you!
tlimonce@drew.bitnet  +1 201 408 5389        ...but we only have fourteen

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (01/15/91)

>the best.  As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the
>standard (please no flames :) ). Go into any major company and see which
>spredsheet they use, 9 times out of 10 it will be 123. You can complain

Since when does the 'Standard' do any justice...  Just look at all those
who deem the IB* as standard - we all know how much they are missing,
since the Amiga is far superior regardless of its acceptance...

Where spread sheets are concerned, MicroSoft Excell is for more versatile
and user friendly than L123 could ever hope to be...  Yet because it is
not the 'standard' we are to ignore it and settle for an inferior
product???!

I make up my own mind ....  (sounds like an ad slogan - now where
                             have I heard that before??? ;^{)  ).

--Leon
+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

In article <91014.113702AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>  As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the
>standard (please no flames :) ).  Go into any major company and see which
>spredsheet they use, 9 times out of 10 it will be 123.

Speaking of 123, does anyone at all know that the Amiga with a
bridgeboard is THE ULTIMATE platform to run 123??? Proof:
123 knows about a dual monitor mode. You keep your spreadsheet with
all the figures in text mode on one monitor and have the graphics
representation of these figures on another monitor in some graphics
mode. The graphics can be set up a way so that it automatically changes
when the figures change.
ONLY ON THE Amiga you can do this on ONE SINGLE monitor! You
configure 123 for this dual mode, set its graphics up for CGA mode
(well, here the bridgeboard way doesn't shine soooo bright :-) and
open both a mono and a color PC window. If you adjust the sizes of
these windows properly and drag the text screen down, then you can
input your figures at the lower end of your screen and watch the
graphics change accordingly at the top of the screen! This always
makes up for a real good demo on fairs.

In article <Jan.14.18.59.41.1991.29710@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

>Your first statement about losing money is not completely correct.  WP
>made BIG bucks on AmigaWP when it was first released.  They were often
>quoted as paying their development costs in 2 or 3 months.  That's a
>great trick.  They lost money when they didn't think before they moved
>into Germany.  They heard that there were tons of Amigas in Germany so
>they paid big $$$ to translate the manuals, etc.  What they didn't
>know (though they could have asked ANYONE) is that piracy is so bad in
>Germany, you can't spend big $$$ and still make a profit.

Oh, please come on, don't stomp on us this way. It's really
insulting to blame one certain country for things happening everywhere.
In my eyes WP had other problems (at least at that time, don't know
about current status):
1. Quality. WP crashed faster than I could type.
2. Manual. Yes, it was German, but it wasn't very helpfull, in that
   it hid some vital features of the printer drivers from me. So I
   just couldn't get my printer to work properly. Together with
   1. this caused me to flush it from my disk.
3. Price. A price of ca. 1000 DM for the mentioned quality was
   simply not adequate.

You told correctly that they made good money in the beginning.
Do you also know from whom? Commodore! Commodore Germany bought
lots of packages and lost BIG money because it couldn't sell all.

>Tom's big tip for the day:  :-)

I will not cite it here, because it is too insulting. Please
stop such utterings.

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (01/15/91)

In article <91014.113702AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>     God I hate my self for saying this but, Mark Barret is right about the
>applications in the Amiga world.  Have any of you who are flaming MB tried
>Word or 123?  Word for the MAC is one of the best, if not the best,
>wordprocessors around.  I have tried both Excellence and ProWrite (Yes, the

If all these word processor programs are so good, then use them!  After all
the Amiga is a multi-environment system.  Hell, use GnuEmacs if you like.
Thats the great thing about this computer, if you don't like what Amiga
software has to offer, well go ahead and use an IBM product (gasp!) or a
Mac product.  These days, IBM compatiblity is getting cheaper (ATOnce for
instance) and a lot of people have the AMAXII program, so whats the big
deal. Got the point?  (now, if Amiga can come out with a program that lets
you watch TV within the operating system, well..never mind. :-)

	Sri

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) writes:

| Why are we discussing MS-DOS and Mac applications on
| c.s.AMIGA.applications?

The original question in this thread was basically "When is
WordPerfect gonna port WP5.1 to the Amiga?"  This thread then
dissolved into a "my word processor can beat up your word processor"
war.  However, there is a good point in all of this -- that Amiga
general productivity software is not up to the quality of that
available in the Mac and PC world.  Why this is so, however, is
debateable.

| Better yet, why are people
| whining about the word processors available on the amiga
| rather than talking about those areas where the Amiga
| has a clear cut edge?

Because (a) this is an applications group, (b) people use word
processors, (c) people use word processors on their Amigas, and (d)
people want to share experiences with them, both good and bad.  What's
the point about talking to each other about how great we all are all
the time?

| What about the APPALING lack of capability
| on the IBM version of VideoToaster? My God, they are still
| on board revision 0.0 :-). What about the current generation of
| under $500 RGB to NTSC 24 bit boards on the Mac? Sheesh, they are
| years behind HAM-E and DCTV!

Who cares?  Let the people in comp.sys.mac.apps and comp.os.msdos.apps
discuss that.  Or, better yet, "Take it to .advocacy" (tm).

| The point is, some machines do some
| things better. So, let us discuss the Amiga applications that are
| designed for the Amiga's strong points, things that make it unique
| and differentiate it from any other PC on the market.

Let us discuss whatever people want to discuss in whatever forum is
appropriate for that discussion.  This is a discussion group, not a
"pat-each-other-on-the-back-for-being-so-wonderful" group.

| People managed
| to get along with feathers, pens, pencils, and even typerwriters as
| their primary word processors. Surely we can get along with
| WordPerfect, AmigaTeX, dbMan, and Advantage for our business needs.

Of course we can.  I got along with WordPerfect 4.1 for my Amiga for a
year or so in college before I got a chance to work on WordPerfect 5.0
for MS-DOS.  And I got to wondering -- when will 5.0 become available
for the Amiga, which is what this thread was all about to begin with.

Eric
--

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (01/16/91)

>>Have any of you who are flaming MB tried
>>Word or 123?  Word for the MAC is one of the best, if not the best,
>>wordprocessors around.
>>As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the
>>standard (please no flames :) ).  Go into any major company and see which
>>spredsheet they use, 9 times out of 10 it will be 123.

>I will agree with you 100% that Microsoft Word (for the Mac) is one of, if
>not the, best word processing programs I have ever used and that includes
>different programs on at least six different machines and operating systems
>plus several dedicated word processing units.  The ease of use, speed, and
>sheer power of it make it a winner.  It still has some faults (spell checking
>comes to mind), but its virtues outweigh them.  I use WordPerfect on my Amiga
  Compaired to the spell checkers on Excellence! and Prowrite, the Word spell-
checker is a speed demon

>because it is the only program I have found that is both powerful and fast.

>It is by no means pretty, easy to use, or flexible, but I've had to learn to
>live with it.

>I have to disagree, however, about Lotus 1-2-3.  I do not believe that
>being an industry standard says very much about the quality of your product
>(look at IBM, :-) ).  It would look good to potential business customers to
>have 1-2-3 available for the Amiga, but I don't know how many hardcore
>Amiga people would use it.  I've used 1-2-3 many times, and every time I
>use it I am amazed at how much I don't like it.  Analyze!, or even several
>PD programs like AnalytiCalc, are as powerful and more easy to use and even
>1-2-3 compatible to some extent.  I hate to give so much good press to
>MicroSoft considering their prejudice against non-IBM/Mac stuff, but
>MicroSoft Excel on the Mac is an excellent spreadsheet.
      I'll aggree with you that 123 does have some major flaws; however,
 there is nothing that comes close to what it does.  What I mean is try to
 take a 123 program with macros and run it in Excel or any other "compatible"
 spreadsheet.  I've tried this and found it to causes major head aches.  Also
 the only way Amigas will make it into the mainstream is if businesses start to
 purchase Amigas, and without programs like 123 this will not happen.

Date: Monday, 14 Jan 1991 23:55:48 EST
From: Leon D. Shaner <LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.applications
Subject: Re: When will new WordPerfect be available?

>>the best.  As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the
>>standard (please no flames :) ). Go into any major company and see which
>>spredsheet they use, 9 times out of 10 it will be 123. You can complain
>
>Since when does the 'Standard' do any justice...  Just look at all those
>who deem the IB* as standard - we all know how much they are missing,
>since the Amiga is far superior regardless of its acceptance...
    Yes, but with out business acceptance you will not have a successful
 computer.  Ask Steve Jobs why an educational only computer fails.  I
 repeat, the Amiga needs professional quality programs to succeed in business.

>Where spread sheets are concerned, MicroSoft Excell is for more versatile
>and user friendly than L123 could ever hope to be...  Yet because it is
>not the 'standard' we are to ignore it and settle for an inferior
>product???!
     That is not the only reason try to convert 123 macros to Excel.  I've
 tried and finally gave up.

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (01/16/91)

From: orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.applications
Date: 15 Jan 91 06:35:35 GMT
Sender: news@sdcc6.ucsd.edu

>Why are we discussing MS-DOS and Mac applications on
>c.s.AMIGA.applications? Better yet, why are people
>whining about the word processors available on the amiga
>rather than talking about those areas where the Amiga
>has a clear cut edge? So MS Word has DTP features, BFD, there are
Amiga DTP applications that are QUITE nice, such as ProPage2.0,
PageStream 2.1... What about the APPALING lack of capability
on the IBM version of VideoToaster? My God, they are still
on board revision 0.0 :-). What about the current generation of
under $500 RGB to NTSC 24 bit boards on the Mac? Sheesh, they are
years behind HAM-E and DCTV! The point is, some machines do some
things better. So, let us discuss the Amiga applications that are
designed for the Amiga's strong points, things that make it unique
and differentiate it from any other PC on the market. People managed
to get along with feathers, pens, pencils, and even typerwriters as
their primary word processors. Surely we can get along with
WordPerfect, AmigaTeX, dbMan, and Advantage for our business needs.
And if we cannot, there is always ATonce for $300, and A-MaxII for
$400 (with Mac ROMs, drive) to let us run pretty much everything
else.

OR

PS I STILL want Red Baron, Tempest, and Battlezone for the Amiga!
:-)

--
"Nobody in this city would get shot if they just did what the cops
told them to." San Diego Police Department Officer Shane Martin

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (01/16/91)

>Why are we discussing MS-DOS and Mac applications on
>c.s.AMIGA.applications? Better yet, why are people
>whining about the word processors available on the amiga
>rather than talking about those areas where the Amiga
>has a clear cut edge? So MS Word has DTP features, BFD, there are
>Amiga DTP applications that are QUITE nice, such as ProPage2.0,
>PageStream 2.1... What about the APPALING lack of capability
>on the IBM version of VideoToaster? My God, they are still
>on board revision 0.0 :-). What about the current generation of
>under $500 RGB to NTSC 24 bit boards on the Mac? Sheesh, they are
>years behind HAM-E and DCTV! The point is, some machines do some
>things better. So, let us discuss the Amiga applications that are
>designed for the Amiga's strong points, things that make it unique
>and differentiate it from any other PC on the market. People managed
>to get along with feathers, pens, pencils, and even typerwriters as
>their primary word processors. Surely we can get along with
>WordPerfect, AmigaTeX, dbMan, and Advantage for our business needs.
>And if we cannot, there is always ATonce for $300, and A-MaxII for
>$400 (with Mac ROMs, drive) to let us run pretty much everything
>else.

  Yes, you can get along with a pen and paper, but in business and most
 other places, you use a word processor, and the Amiga does not have any
 realy good ones (by good I mean Word quailty).  For the average user yes
 you can get a brigecard and Amax; however, when business buy a computer,
 they do not want to have to go to that hassle.
>OR
>
>PS I STILL want Red Baron, Tempest, and Battlezone for the Amiga!
>:-)
>
>--
>"Nobody in this city would get shot if they just did what the cops
>told them to." San Diego Police Department Officer Shane Martin
>(in SD Union, December 23, 1990)

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (01/16/91)

  To any brave soul, if you want to make alot of money in the Amiga world,
make a good (MS Word quality) wordprocessor for the Amiga, or a spreadsheet
that can use lotus files macros and all.  If you do this, I promise that you
will have at least one sale, from me.

                                        Ajai

In article <91014.113702AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>     God I hate my self for saying this but, Mark Barret is right about the
>applications in the Amiga world.  Have any of you who are flaming MB tried
>Word or 123?  Word for the MAC is one of the best, if not the best,
>wordprocessors around.  I have tried both Excellence and ProWrite (Yes, the
>latest versions) and still they don't compare to Word.

What do you want a word processor for anyway?  Real Men write directly in
DTP programs.  Or in markup languages, like TeX or Scribe.  No word processor
is powerful enough.

>As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the standard (please
>no flames :) ).

I shouldn't have to point it out, but that statement is identical to saying
"As for Operating Systems, MS-DOS is the best.  Why, because it is the
standard".  I don't hear that one, even from PC enthusiasts, all that often.
Being the standard may, in some cases, make something very useful, since it
can tap into lots of work that's been done already.  It is never sufficient
to make it "The Best".  And in many cases, the leader in a field falls
behind in terms of functionality, simply because there's no strong force
driving any improvements.  If all everyone ever hears is "Spreadsheet == 123",
and its difficult to get any work done in a business environment with any
other spreadsheet, then 123 could be the worst, in terms of actual features,
and still lead the pack.  While its doubtful 123 is the worst, its equally
doubtful that its the best, especially since Lotus themselves has developed
a "better" spreadsheet that's not 123 any more than Gold Disk's or MicroSoft's
spreadsheets are.

>                                             Ajai

	"Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
	 gonna be alright"		-Bob Marley

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (01/16/91)

In article <epeterso.663882600@houligan> epeterson@encore.com (Eric Peterson) writes:
>rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>
>| Most Microsoft stuff is crap,
>
>Is this a statement of personal experience or one of second-hand
>information?  Sounds to me more like the latter, especially since
>Microsoft puts out some of the highest quality software in the MS-DOS
>world.

 Personal Experience. AmigaBasic, Windows1.0/2.0, MS-DOS, etc.
Microsoft may put out quality software, but only after plenty of revisions.
I have never seen Microsoft get it right in the first revision.

>| Lotus is a company whom I feel everyone should boycott(because of
>| some of the stuff they are trying to do with copyright laws, databases of
>| credit info, etc See comp.org.eff.talk, or the LPF at GNU)
>
>As has been discussed at length on various news groups, Lotus
>Marketplace contains *no* information that is subject to the Fair
>Credit Reporting Act.  They are *not* distributing credit information.
>They are, however, including estimates of personal income which
>consumers have freely provided, generally through product registration
>cards.  But that's besides the point.

Even before Lotus marketplace, Lotus was guilty of trying to copyright
various aspects of their user interface. All in all, I don't agree with
their business practices.

>| If Word is so great, why does it take 700 pages to describe how it works?
>| Word Processors are supposed to be intuitive!
>
>Word is intuitive, just as much as any other GUI product.  I've sat
>down at a Mac and churned out documents with Word without ever
>touching the manual or calling up the help screen.  Of course, what I
>think you really meant is WordPerfect, not Word (two diferent
>products), which is also intuitive, both in the MS-DOS version (5.1)
>and in the AmigaDOS version (4.1).
>
>I think 700 pages is an appropriate size for such a manual, which
>probably does not cover the complete functionality of Word or WP.  But
>it's long enough to include most everything you could want to do
>without scaring people away from itself.  Remember that this is the
>*reference* manual we're talking about, not the *user* manual.

 Thats larger than most programming manuals i've seen. If it has
that many functions, why not learn TeX? TeX can do more, and you get to use
your favorite text editor!

>| You keep citing the 'depth' that Word has over other word processors, how
>| about listing SPECIFIC examples and features?
>
>Oh, please, let's not get into a features war here (and if we do,
>let's take it to .advocacy so that those of us concerned with real
>issues don't have to watch).

 Well if your going to claim something is better than ALL availible software
on the Amiga, your going to have to give reasons.

>|   I just got a demo of TurboText (an Amiga editor from abcfd20). This is
>| THEE best text editor I have ever seen. It blows Emacs, CED, TxEd, BRIEF out of
>| the water.
>
>TurboText is a *text*editor*, not a *word*processor*.  There is a VERY
>big difference between the two, in addition to the fact that your
>statement is yet again irrelevant.

  I put that statement in there, because this is an Amiga product that
beats anything i've seen on Mac/IBM, just as Word supposedly beats all
Amiga WP's.
  I know the difference between WP's and Text editor's but the differences
can be debated. Today, Word Processor means WYSIWYG. Years ago, Text
editors were Word Processors. There were no fonts, hi-res bitmap images, etc.
Just Text.

>| It all boils down to 'bandwagon' and 'big-name.'
>
>It all boils down to "quality" and "functionality", not "image".

  Sorry, I don't buy that. A few messages ago, someone said
'Every business I have ever seen uses 1-2-3.' as if quantity justifies
quality. We all know thats not true, IBM is proof of that.

>| Alot of people aren't using
>| things because of their quality, but because of their name/reputation.
>| People don't wear rolexes because they are the most technically superior
>| watch on the market. They wear them because they are 'in' and expensive.
>| The same thing applies to things like WordPerfect, 1-2-3, IBM.
>
>WordPerfect is a *very* powerful word processor.  If you'd ever
>actually tried to use it beyond demonstrating to yourself that you
>hate it, you would know that.  It's not elegant, but it works.  And
>it would be particularly wonderful if there was an Amiga version of
>5.1, which is what this thread was all about in the first place.

 There are equally powerful Amiga wordprocessors that support full
Commodore graphics and interface standards, along with postscript, iff
files, etc.

In article <91015.122517AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>  Yes, you can get along with a pen and paper, but in business and most
> other places, you use a word processor, and the Amiga does not have any
> realy good ones (by good I mean Word quailty).  For the average user yes
> you can get a brigecard and Amax; however, when business buy a computer,
> they do not want to have to go to that hassle.

   Well what did people use before Word came out?How come when a new
product comes out and is good, it instantly makes all the other products
bad? Does Ghost or Home Alone make every other movie truly bad because
they surpassed them? What does it exactly mean to be Word Quality?
If everyone thought like this, a word processor market wouldn't even
exist. There would only be 1 word processor, Word.
   How come a word processor has to live up to Word quality & features
before its even considered to be quality? I think this stagnates creativity
with the interface. No wonder companies who dominate the market are
trying to copyright their user interfaces, because people won't
even buy other products unless they use the same interface people are
'used to' on the big name products. Naturally those companies feel
they should be able to copyright their GUI, since everyone else is cloning it
and invading their market.

 Oh well. I've had enough of this thread. You can buy a Mac if you like,
I'll stick to Emacs, TeX, and nr/troff for my WP use.

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (01/16/91)

>That is not the only reason try to convert 123 macros to Excel.  I've
>tried and finally gave up.

I realize that many people may be in the disadvantaged position of having
started with 123...  My point is that if you are in a position to make a
choice, starting from scratch, go with the best product - Excel...

Although it is nice when a product manufacturer makes porting your old work
to their platform easy, it is not always so...  They really have no obligation
to make their product compatible with product X, it is just nice when it is...

Sometimes they have to think of satisfying the user who wants power and is
willing to spend a little time to get it...  In the case of Excel, it is
well worth the effort to convert and if you were to start from scratch using
Excel from the start I think you'd see that the macro definitions would be
more straightforward and powerful than with 123...

Just my $.02

--Leon

jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Mephisto) (01/16/91)

While on the subject of Word, let me just say that I tried it.  Had to
install the mouse driver too.  Got 1 page in and ran out of memory.

What good is it if it is such a pain in the a**?

In the end, I wrote my paper with prowrite on my amiga... I didn't need
all those features anyway.

jeff

taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (01/16/91)

In article <17621@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

> What do you want a word processor for anyway?  Real Men write directly in
> DTP programs.  Or in markup languages, like TeX or Scribe.  No word processor
> is powerful enough.

   Microsoft Word is, period.  Microsoft Word, in one package, includes
ALL the tools that you would ever need to typeset a book.  Is that powerful
enough for you?

   MS Word is not really a word processor at all; it is a typesetting
package.  MS Word works like a word processor, but includes many features
-- including style sheets, key glossaries, templates, ability to
incorporate PostScript in documents, a simple programming langauge
within mail-marge, and a TeX-like mathematical typesetting language --
that are usually only found in dedicated typesetting packages such
as TeX.  In addition, it has features like a thesaruus and spelling
checker that are found in word processors.  To polish everything off,
it has text and graphic layout features usually only found in DTP
programs.

   In short, I disgree with you.  Real men use Microsoft Word.

> --
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
> 	"Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
> 	 gonna be alright"		-Bob Marley

                                 -MB-

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.174429.9314@isc.rit.edu> eas3714@isc.rit.edu (E.A. Story ) writes:

>Just curious about Prowrite 3.1... DOes it have decent text output on a
>dot matrix printer (9-pin).. I saw it on a friends computer and it
>seemed that it could only get good text output by using the graphics
>output of the printer.. really stupid and unacceptable.. not everyone
>can afford to wait for 20 mins while it prints out a page of text.. and
>its "Draft" mode using the printer's fonts didn't format well at all...
>came out all screwed up...
>
>I think I'll stick to my myriad PD text editors until SOMETHING with
>decent text output comes along.  There is a REASON printers have a text
>mode... not everyone can afford a postscript or super 24-pin printer.
>
> 				---Ezra

I had similar problems when switching between Prowrite (2.04), Word Perfect 4.x
and CED about a year ago. I don't remember quite how I got it to work but your
friend should be able to fix it by playing with the settings. I remember that
it was trivial once I found it :-)

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (01/16/91)

In article <epeterso.663882600@houligan> epeterson@encore.com (Eric Peterson) writes:
>rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>
>| Most Microsoft stuff is crap,
>
>Is this a statement of personal experience or one of second-hand
>information?  Sounds to me more like the latter, especially since
>Microsoft puts out some of the highest quality software in the MS-DOS
>world.

True, there is LOTS of poor software on the PC. Bad amiga software is seldom as
bad as bad ms-dos software and with the exception of Word I find microsoft
products mediocre to bad.

In article <1991Jan15.192859.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>In article <17621@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>
>> What do you want a word processor for anyway?  Real Men write directly in
>> DTP programs.  Or in markup languages, like TeX or Scribe.  No word processor
>> is powerful enough.
>
>   Microsoft Word is, period.  Microsoft Word, in one package, includes
>ALL the tools that you would ever need to typeset a book.  Is that powerful
>enough for you?
>
>   MS Word is not really a word processor at all; it is a typesetting
>package.  MS Word works like a word processor, but includes many features
>-- including style sheets, key glossaries, templates, ability to
>incorporate PostScript in documents, a simple programming langauge
>within mail-marge, and a TeX-like mathematical typesetting language --
>that are usually only found in dedicated typesetting packages such
>as TeX.  In addition, it has features like a thesaruus and spelling
>checker that are found in word processors.  To polish everything off,
>it has text and graphic layout features usually only found in DTP
>programs.
>
>   In short, I disgree with you.  Real men use Microsoft Word.

  Nope, I disagree. Real men program their own word processors in binary
on the fly with a monitor. For layout they use scrap paper!
TeX is, period. Whatever thats supposed to mean. In truth, real men
use what they like, and what they want, not what the 'industry' standard
is.

  For doing school reports, I use a text editor.  Which is better than
a typewriter. Fancy graphics and fonts are ok, but I don't think they are
going to enhance your grade unless your teacher is impressed by bells
and whistles.

dme ram:report
cp report >prt:
There's  simplicity for ya.

In article <1991Jan16.024225.12117@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>In article <1991Jan15.192859.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>>In article <17621@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>
>>> What do you want a word processor for anyway?  Real Men write directly in
>>> DTP programs.  Or in markup languages, like TeX or Scribe.  No word processor
>>> is powerful enough.

>>   In short, I disgree with you.  Real men use Microsoft Word.

>  For doing school reports, I use a text editor.  Which is better than
>a typewriter. Fancy graphics and fonts are ok, but I don't think they are
>going to enhance your grade unless your teacher is impressed by bells
>and whistles.

	Actually, there was a study reported in Science News (I think, or the
WSJ) where students using Mac's tended to produce more-polished papers that
were somewhat inferior on content to ones produced on other machines.  The
assumption (far from proven) was that students on the macs spent more of their
time "prettying" their papers, laying them out, selecting fonts, and less time
reworking the wording or thinking about the contents.  There could be plenty
of other explanations, and this was one smallish survey.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.224413.22111@infonode.ingr.com>, palmerc@infonode.ingr.com (Chris Palmer) writes:
> In article <91014.113702AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>
>>Have any of you who are flaming MB tried
>>Word or 123?  Word for the MAC is one of the best, if not the best,
>>wordprocessors around.
>>As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the
>>standard (please no flames :) ).  Go into any major company and see which
>>spredsheet they use, 9 times out of 10 it will be 123.
>
> [stuff about Word removed...]
>
> I have to disagree, however, about Lotus 1-2-3.  I do not believe that
> being an industry standard says very much about the quality of your product
> (look at IBM, :-) ).  It would look good to potential business customers to
> have 1-2-3 available for the Amiga, but I don't know how many hardcore
> Amiga people would use it.  I've used 1-2-3 many times, and every time I
> use it I am amazed at how much I don't like it.  Analyze!, or even several
> PD programs like AnalytiCalc, are as powerful and more easy to use and even
> 1-2-3 compatible to some extent.  I hate to give so much good press to
> MicroSoft considering their prejudice against non-IBM/Mac stuff, but
> MicroSoft Excel on the Mac is an excellent spreadsheet.

I would say that you are right about 1-2-3, it would be a great shot
in the arm from a business viewpoint, but...

Personally I want to see Excel written for the Amiga.  We use Excel (under
Windows 3.0) at work every day.  While I have not seen all the Amiga
spreadsheets, I *have* seen the ones listed above and IMHO none of them
come anywhere near the power of Excel :-(

The ability of Excel to create powerful macros with custom requestors,
to create tables and other documents using shading, multiple fonts, etc
and Excel's graphing abilities (which are truely awesome) make it
something to be desired!

I feel that you are incorrect in assuming that Amiga users would not want
the power of 1-2-3 or Excel on their machine.  I have many times considered
getting a bridgeboard just to run Excel - Maxiplan (my current Amiga
spreadsheet) just doesn't compare...
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (01/16/91)

In article <91015.123437AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>  To any brave soul, if you want to make alot of money in the Amiga world,
>make a good (MS Word quality) wordprocessor for the Amiga, or a spreadsheet
>that can use lotus files macros and all.  If you do this, I promise that you
>will have at least one sale, from me.
>
>                                        Ajai

I bought a copy of LOGiSTiK for $10 from someone about 3 years ago.  I was
pleasantly surprised to find out that it reads 123 files and macros (and
SuperCalc files which is what we Osborne owners REALLY needed).  I think
Precision is carrying it now.  I guess I should dig up that magazine article
about 123 and DBase clones for the Amiga.  It's real nice to insert a PC disk
into your Amiga drive and read in a 123, DBase, or WordPerfect file, edit it
and then write it back to the disk.  For me it makes compatibility a non-issue.
--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan15.202005.4403@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

> >I think 700 pages is an appropriate size for such a manual, which
> >probably does not cover the complete functionality of Word or WP.  But
> >it's long enough to include most everything you could want to do
> >without scaring people away from itself.  Remember that this is the
> >*reference* manual we're talking about, not the *user* manual.
>
>  Thats larger than most programming manuals i've seen. If it has
> that many functions, why not learn TeX? TeX can do more, and you get to use
> your favorite text editor!

Why not learn TeX?  In two words: "My Mother".  You see, I know and
use TeX but there is no way I could ever teach my mother TeX.  I could
spend days writing macros for her or I could set her up with LaTeX and
still she wouldn't be able to use it.

Think about it.

Disclaimer: Maybe your mother is Grace Hopper, but I was quite
impressed that my mother could understand the concept of different
ON/OFF switches for the computer *and* the monitor.

Personally I use them all.  My Amiga has AmigaTeX and
AmigaWordPerfect.  My Zenith PC has WordPerfect 5.1 (I started with
4.1 and upgraded to 5.0 then to 5.1).  My other PC (A Leading Edge XT,
the one that my mother uses) has WordPerfect 5.1 (upgraded from 5.0).
(Yes, I have separately purchased copies of all those WordPerfects).
I decide which to use based on my location and what kind of document
I'm going to produce.

Tom
--
tlimonce@drew.edu     Tom Limoncelli      "Flash!  Flash!  I love you!
tlimonce@drew.bitnet  +1 201 408 5389        ...but we only have fourteen
tlimonce@drew.uucp    limonce@pilot.njin.net       hours to save the earth!"

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (01/17/91)

 Dave Haynie wrties:

>What do you want a word processor for anyway?  Real Men write directly in
>DTP programs.  Or in markup languages, like TeX or Scribe.  No word processor
>is powerful enough.
  Because as I stated before, most people do not want to learn a new language
  just to type up a document.  MS Word for the Mac not only allows the power
  user (like yourself) to creat close to DTP documents, while at the same time
  allowing novices to type up quality reports eaisly.  Yes you do not have to
  read the 700 page manual to work Word, just boot up and go.  If someone can
  make a wordprocessor like this or if you, Dave, can convince Microsoft to
  port word over, I would be the first buyer.

>>As for Spreadsheets, 123 is the best.  Why because it is the standard (please
>no flames :) ).

>I shouldn't have to point it out, but that statement is identical to saying
>"As for Operating Systems, MS-DOS is the best.  Why, because it is the
>standard".  I don't hear that one, even from PC enthusiasts, all that often.
>Being the standard may, in some cases, make something very useful, since it
>can tap into lots of work that's been done already.  It is never sufficient
>to make it "The Best".  And in many cases, the leader in a field falls
>behind in terms of functionality, simply because there's no strong force
>driving any improvements.  If all everyone ever hears is "Spreadsheet == 123",
>and its difficult to get any work done in a business environment with any
>other spreadsheet, then 123 could be the worst, in terms of actual features,
>and still lead the pack.  While its doubtful 123 is the worst, its equally
>doubtful that its the best, especially since Lotus themselves has developed
>a "better" spreadsheet that's not 123 any more than Gold Disk's or MicroSoft's
>spreadsheets are.
   The main advantage to 123 2.2 and 3.0 is the ability to make larger
   spread sheets.  The older version of 123 2.01 put most of the info in
   a spreadsheet into the 640 memory, and did not use extended or expanded
   memory very well.  The new version gets around the 640 barrier,  this is
   very important when LAN's are installed into companies.  Additionally, the
   spreadsheets that I have seen that were created with 123 are much more
   powerful than any Excel spreadsheet that I have seen created.  This maybe
   in part due to the users; however, I think that is is because 123 is a
   better program.  Don't get me wrong, I would welcome Excel with open arms
   if were to enter the Amiga market.
                                               Ajai

>-
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>        "Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
>         gonna be alright"              -Bob Marley

                                             Ajai

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (01/17/91)

    .. And to interject even more IBM stuff in the Amiga Group......

 I WISH SOMEONE WOULD PORT HARVARD GRAPHICS!!! You have to use this program
with Draw Partner to appreciate it. I whipped out some variations of our
company logo and logos for each depts in under 20minutes! I did a a few
graphs of sales vs. X and a few others in another 20. It was INCREDIBLY
easy. (And I haven't even seen the AutoGraphix Slide and Transparancy Service
in action!!)

    Also 123 now has a QUICK way to do graphs called WYSIWYG. And Quattro 2.0
.... Lets not even begin to discuss its 3D'ness that would port well to the
Amiga.

    But remember.. You can't format a disk at the same time :-)

--
 adam hill
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                        Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (01/17/91)

   Sorry sports fans, pilot error on the last try, so here we go again:

   Like I said elsewhere, I
 would welcome Excel into the Amiga market, but I personally perfer 123.  This
 is due to past experiences with both Excel and 123 (also Borland's Quatro).
 Hey if Excel comes on the market, I'll buy it; however, 90% of the
 spreadsheets that I work with are 123 spread- sheets with macros.  What does
 this mean, alot of conversion time.

                                                    Ajai

In article <1991Jan15.192859.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>In article <17621@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>> What do you want a word processor for anyway?  Real Men write directly in
>> DTP programs.  Or in markup languages, like TeX or Scribe.  No word processor
>> is powerful enough.

>   Microsoft Word is, period.  Microsoft Word, in one package, includes
>ALL the tools that you would ever need to typeset a book.  Is that powerful
>enough for you?

If I can't write programs in it, it's really not enough.  Which is why I like
Scribe (one of these days I'll learn TeX, since its on the Amiga) and Emacs.
Typesetting a book is easy, _any_ DTP type program can do that.  Some make it
easier than others.  The goal of a wordprocessor, of course, is one of two
things -- either come close enough to automating all the publishing you would
care to do, or to make writing alone so easy you do all your writing in the
wordprocessor and then load that file into the DTP program.

Now, I haven't used Word, maybe it is good.  I have yet to see any word
processor on any system that does what I want, though.  First off all, it has
to be a good text editor.  Meaning fast and flexible.  I want to set up the
editing commands as I like them, and that means from the keyboard, Emacs-like.
Any good text editor allows this, even if it's not Emacs (CED, for instance).
I want a good macro capability, with a real programming language like AREXX
or E-Lisp.  I want word abbrevs.  I want active spelling check.

Next comes the formatting part.  It must be 100% WYSIWYG, or I might as well
use a markup language.  Of course it knows about different text environments
(what that call style sheets these days.  It should be able to use graphics,
tables, formulas, etc. as easily as simple text, and text in any font.  Of
course tables, figures, etc. can be attached to any other object, and it's
easy to move them anyway if the wordprocessor decides to put them in the wrong
place.  The rules for such placement should be easily definable, anyway, to
help avoid this.  It should know about headers, sections, subsections, etc.
and let me define them as I like them, arbitrarily deep.  It should know about
structured documents, so that the guts of my "Chapter 5" in my "Everything
about the A3000" manual sits in a subfile and also stands alone as the entire
"Zorro III Bus Specification" manual.  Anything externally referenced, such
as subdocuments and graphics, should know ask for file notification so that
it can update itself at runtime.  It should know how to handle contents, table,
and figure pages, index, and bibliography.  The bibliography and footnote style
should be independent of the entry format, so I can pick IEEE or ACS or
whatever as I wish.

Well, that's at least scratching the surface.  I know far more folks out there
who've only used wordprocessors, any of them, and are happy with them than
those who've used TeX or Scribe extensively and have found wordprocessors that
really make them happy.  Unfortunately, if you're in school today, or probably
for the past several years, you're only exposed to wordprocessors.  Which may
explain why most of the wordprocessors out there are weak compared to markups
which have been around for 10 or 20 years.

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (01/18/91)

In article <1092@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
> In article <1991Jan14.002805.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>>   The really sad part of this is that other big-name companies like
>>Microsoft, Lotus, Aldus, and Adobe will probably never write software
>>for the Amiga, because one big-name company tried to support the Amiga
>>and lost a lot of money.
>
> Yes, but it was WordPerfects amazing stupidity that lost money.  Let's
> look at a prime example of how to release a product that nobody will
> loose money:
>
> a)  Release a product that does not support the user interface of the
>     target machine properly.

ABSOLUTELY

> b)  Release an older version of a product when newer versions are being
>     released one other machines.

YES, EXACTLY!!

> c)  Promise updates versions and don't deliver.

TO ME TOO!

What about
 d) Call the version sold "English" and have only American spellings.

 e) Include multiple non-functional printer drivers.

 f) No file requesters- not even Charlie Heath's PD one.

> I am also getting to the point where I seriously believe that a company
> that announces a product (eg. Borland) should be legally held to
> producing that product.  I am 90% certain that this view is legally
> upholdable, if only from the point that the original announcement was
> false advertising.

A dollar/day/user should put the wind up them. Product releases should
be anounced at the packaging stage, not while in beta testing.

Regards Alan

brindley@ECE.ORST.EDU (Mike Brindley) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan16.022707.8945@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
>In article <1991Jan14.174429.9314@isc.rit.edu> eas3714@isc.rit.edu (E.A. Story ) writes:
>>
>>Just curious about Prowrite 3.1... DOes it have decent text output on a
>>dot matrix printer (9-pin).. I saw it on a friends computer and it
>>seemed that it could only get good text output by using the graphics
>>output of the printer.. really stupid and unacceptable.. not everyone
>>can afford to wait for 20 mins while it prints out a page of text.. and
>>its "Draft" mode using the printer's fonts didn't format well at all...
>>came out all screwed up...

To fix this problem, I had to install the PICA/Elite/Condensed/Ultra-
Condensed fonts from the ProWrite disks in my fonts: directory.  Then
you use those fonts whenever you want to use the corresponding
buit-in printer fonts (Pica means 10 char. per inch and Elite means
12 char. per inch).  You must select the 'NLQ' option from the print
window instead of normal or draft.  I believe this is mentioned in
the manual in the appendix about producing high quality text.

I agree that the graphic dump takes too long for any serious work
(papers, reports, books, or anything else which is longer than a
couple of pages).  I have two fast, high-res printers (24-pin NEC
and a HP Deskjet) and for anything I do for school, I MUST use
the printer's built-in fonts.  The graphic dumps look terrible since
the fonts are all bitmapped (lots of jaggies).  As mentioned previously
the graphic dumps also take way too long for me to want to print out
8 or more pages.

--> Mike Brindley
    brindley@ece.orst.edu

hammond@cs.albany.edu (William F Hammond) (01/18/91)

In article <91016.180239AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>        Actually, there was a study reported in Science News (I think, or the
>>WSJ) where students using Mac's tended to produce more-polished papers that
>>were somewhat inferior on content to ones produced on other machines.  The
> . . .
>    I can tell you from experience, that a good report produced with a type-
> writer, or a simple wordprocessor does not get graded as well as a paper with
> fonts, boldface, and such.  My first year of college, I turned in reports
> that were good but at most got B-'s.  But one day I turned in a report,
> no better than any others I turned in before, I received an A.  Profs, and
> teachers grade this way.    ...

This one would be more likely to look askance at a student paper that is
awash with DTP features and wonder whether the student is trying to use the
DTP features to cover up inadequacies of content.  In the final analysis in
order to be fair I should try very hard to focus on content alone.  This is
not to say that issues of *neatness* and *format* are not important.  But to
the extent that they are important an ordinary typewriter or, for that matter,
a simple editor, provided it is sufficiently flexible to permit the user to
insert ANSI sequences for such things as underlining and boldface (see
Appendix D to the manual "Introduction to the A2000" or the corresponding
appendix entitled "Printer Escape Codes" in the A500 manual), is perfectly
adequate.

>       ...               I've turned in reports with very little content
> but that look good and have gotten better grades.  When I started looking
> through corporate reports, I found the same to be true.  The moral of this
> FLASH BEATS SUBSTANCE.
> . . .

There are individuals and environments where this is true to a certain
extent, but in the long run substance usually triumphs over form.  (One
cannot, however, ignore form altogether, because so doing can risk short
term disaster.)

William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
hammond@leah.albany.edu              wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan15.192859.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   MS Word is not really a word processor at all; it is a typesetting
>package.  MS Word works like a word processor, but includes many features
>-- including style sheets, key glossaries, templates, ability to
>incorporate PostScript in documents, a simple programming langauge
>within mail-marge, and a TeX-like mathematical typesetting language --
>that are usually only found in dedicated typesetting packages such
>as TeX.  In addition, it has features like a thesaruus and spelling
>checker that are found in word processors.  To polish everything off,
>it has text and graphic layout features usually only found in DTP
>programs.

I had to use Word on the Mac. It is a nice word processor and as
comfortable as I could wish. Nevertheless, it's additional features
are more or less half-hearted addons, especially the 'mathematical
typesetting language'. The best way to use graphics in Word is to
transfer the text into a DTP program since you cannot do anything with
the graphics (size or crop).

>   In short, I disgree with you.  Real men use Microsoft Word.
Real Men aren't afraid in the dark.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (05/10/91)

jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>	Actually, there was a study
>where students using Mac's tended to produce more-polished papers that
>were somewhat inferior on content to ones produced on other machines.  The
>assumption (far from proven) was that students on the macs spent more of their
>time "prettying" their papers, laying them out, selecting fonts, and less time
>reworking the wording or thinking about the contents.  There could be plenty
>of other explanations, and this was one smallish survey.

Oh, I thought it was because the people who use Macs were just boneheads.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu