[comp.sys.amiga.applications] DBManV

griffin@frith.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (05/07/91)

Does anyone know the current rev number of DBManV?  Also, if I buy it
Tuesday, are they going to release an ARexx version Friday? ;-)

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (05/08/91)

griffin@frith.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:

>Does anyone know the current rev number of DBManV?

Here are VersaSoft we certainly do; it's 5.30A.  The 5.2 that most dealers
stock is not current (I've made lots of amiga-specific enhancements,
phone or email to get specifics).  The upgrade to 5.3 is $20.

>  Also, if I buy it
>Tuesday, are they going to release an ARexx version Friday? ;-)

Well, I just added the ARexx port last week (and the IFF image support
yesterday) so they'll be available before the end of the month.  The
version number is still 5.3, so upgrades are free once you get any 5.3.

BTW, I used the very nice and very straightforward SimpleRexx code to
add the the ARexx port - it gives full access to EVERYTHING dBMan can
do.  Have fun.

>Dan Griffin
-----------
Ben in San Jose, old-timer amigoid surrounded by (ack)MSDOS people.

In article <1991May8.033851.6276@netcom.COM> rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
>griffin@frith.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know the current rev number of DBManV?
>
>Here are VersaSoft we certainly do; it's 5.30A.  The 5.2 that most dealers
>stock is not current (I've made lots of amiga-specific enhancements,
>phone or email to get specifics).  The upgrade to 5.3 is $20.

	Oh, you wrote DBMan? I guess then you'd be qualified to
answer a few questions about it. 8-) All my experience is with
FoxBase/Pro. Can you compare the extensions you've made to the
Fox line of extensions? How about the Amiga specific
improvements?
	Also, how about speed? How does it compare to dBASE and
Fox? Fox being what I'd consider VERY fast. I realize this is a
very judgemental question.
	Thanks,

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (05/09/91)

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>All my experience is with
>FoxBase/Pro. Can you compare the extensions you've made to the
>Fox line of extensions?

  Well, both dBMan and FoxBase are fairly straightforward dBase3+ clones.
Our extensions include a powerful, easy-to-use report writer, quick
commands to create menus and scroll-lists, a very fast pseudo-compiler
and a decent debugging capability.  We have UDFs and multidimensional
arrays.  Our strongest point, however, is 100% compatibility across
40+ computer platforms.  Data and code... it's all compatible.

  FoxPro is a different catagory, along with dBase4.  They have big price
tags, take up lots of room and have lots of non-essential features.
However, when people ask for a feature they like in one of those packages,
we'll often add it.  People often own dBMan in addition to another
package; we provide the portability.

> How about the Amiga specific
>improvements?

  We used to be a 100% MSDOS-looking program - medium res, four colors,
no mouse control, etc.  This is fine if you just want to bring business
software over from MSDOS machines to the Amiga, but it general... well,
nobody likes ports to the Amiga that don't Amigatize.  So, with version
5.3, I added the ability to configure
the display however you like, choose your font, or even run in a window
on the workbench.  You can use the mouse for pull-down menus and display
menus.  The Arexx and IFF i mentioned earlier, they'll be out soon.
We also support OS2.0.

>	Also, how about speed? How does it compare to dBASE and
>Fox?

Well, comparisons across operating systems are hard to make, but I'd say
in general we're significantly faster than dBase and significantly slower
than Fox.  However, you can't get Fox for your Amiga, ST, Unix box etc.

> Fox being what I'd consider VERY fast.

It sure is - although it comes at a cost.  Writing optimized Intel assembly
gives them speed, but limits their ability to port to other platforms.
Also, a lot of their performance comes from taking best advantage of
"expanded" memory on MSDOS boxes - which no one else does very well.

>	Thanks,
>	-- Ethan

----------------
Ben Discoe, radical ecologist, computer scientist at VersaSoft Corp.

rsutton@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Roy A Sutton) (05/09/91)

For a long time know I have been looking for a Database system
for the amiga which will allow me to run it from a terminal
connected to the amiga via a serial port...

Does DBManV have an option which will allow it to run strictly
within a cli?

Having a database which works with an amiga terminal network
has many pratical aplications...

Roy Sutton

In article <1991May9.062829.19119@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> rsutton@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Roy A Sutton) writes:
>For a long time know I have been looking for a Database system
>for the amiga which will allow me to run it from a terminal
>connected to the amiga via a serial port...
>
>Does DBManV have an option which will allow it to run strictly
>within a cli?
>
>Having a database which works with an amiga terminal network
>has many pratical aplications...
>
>Roy Sutton

	When you say a terminal hooked up to the Amiga, you mean
a dumb terminal or another Amiga? If it is another Amiga you can
write an ARexx system that uses the serial port to send messages.
If you're using a dumb terminal you could do it, but you'd have
to write ARexx code not only to send messages but to manipulate
the display.
	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (05/10/91)

rsutton@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Roy A Sutton) writes:

>For a long time know I have been looking for a Database system
>for the amiga which will allow me to run it from a terminal
>connected to the amiga via a serial port...
>Does DBManV have an option which will allow it to run strictly
>within a cli?

   Well, if you think about the fact that dBMan uses Intuition menus and
can load iff pictures, you might guess that it would be difficult to do.
However, we actually could do it in a matter of days, if people asked for
it.  This is because we use the same source on all machines... including
Unix boxes that ONLY have terminals hooked serially.  So it'd be easy.
The binary would be different, of course (smaller!).  100% of the
functionality of dBMan (including pull-down menus and the text editor)
would be available over a serial line.

  Question: how would you want to run this, start terminal-dBMan from the
Amiga, having it start talking to AUX:, or would you start it from a CLI
you have running out of AUX: already?

>Roy Sutton

---------------------
Ben Discoe, head programmer at VersaSoft and Big Fan of Japanese Food.

amercer@desire.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (05/10/91)

From article <1991May10.015554.22782@netcom.COM>, by rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe):
[ omitted...]
> it.  This is because we use the same source on all machines... including
> Unix boxes that ONLY have terminals hooked serially.  So it'd be easy.
[...]
>   Question: how would you want to run this, start terminal-dBMan from the
> Amiga, having it start talking to AUX:, or would you start it from a CLI
> you have running out of AUX: already?

Ideally both, but especially the ability to start it from the terminal.

> Ben Discoe, head programmer at VersaSoft and Big Fan of Japanese Food.

BTW: this would give me a reason to upgrade and start using your product!

Art Mercer
Associate Director, Academic Computing Resources
040T Library Annex
Wright State University
Col. Glenn HWY
Dayton, OH 45435