[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Suberbase Professional 4

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (05/04/91)

Does anyone already have the Superbase Professional version 4, or is it still
vaporware? I got an upgrde offer about a month ago and I sent them immediately
a fax and later a letter asking some details about the new version, but so far
I have not received any answer... (the upgrade price was quite high, 90 pounds,
so I want to know if it is worth it:-)

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

spear@locus.com (Brad Spear) (05/08/91)

In article (murfle) ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi wrote:
>Does anyone already have the Superbase Professional version 4, or is it still
>vaporware?

It's definitely not vaporware, I just received my upgrade on Monday.  I
should have gotten it on Friday, but UPS (the delivery service) wanted my
signature.

Unfortunately, my monitor is in the shop (it's been feeling a little
'pinched' lately).  I may get it back this week, but with all that is
going on, I may not be able to actually install the new software for a
week or two.

Brad
--
Brad Spear				Locus Computing Corporation
spear@locus.com				Inglewood, CA, USA

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (05/08/91)

spear@locus.com (Brad Spear) writes:

>should have gotten it on Friday, but UPS (the delivery service) wanted my
>signature.

That's good.  Around here UPS doesn't even wait till the doorbell quits
chiming before the truck is 1/2 block away.  I don't know how many times
I've found stuff on my porch (sometimes noticing it at 11:00 at night).
The last time they left $3000 of well boxed and labeled computer hardware
sitting there for hours.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.054257.1801@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
> spear@locus.com (Brad Spear) writes:
>
>>should have gotten it on Friday, but UPS (the delivery service) wanted my
>>signature.

Same here... I did get my copy of superbasepro4 today! ...(someone had
to stay homme all day and it was almost 7pm by the time they got here).

Installed easily - works on an amiga 3000 under 2.0 no problems so far.
Read my old databases (nothing major) just fine so far.  Defaults to
workbench colors and has a more 2.0 look to it.  Forms read in fine,
uses a superbasepro4.ini file for initialization - it's readable so
I guess you can modify it without using superbase actually.  Seems much
more logical than previous version I had (3.0) ...

And best of all I didn't have to use the DONGLE chip at all!

But one thing that disturbed me, is that the warrenty card is already gone!
Registration card that is.... Maybe they filled it out because I was a
previously registered owner?  I'll have to call them and check it out.

I still have my superbase pro specification sheet if anyone has a question
I can look it up and see if it "claims" to do that... I kept it around.

Warning - the documentation says chapter 1 is installation but I saw
nothing about it - you just have to use their setup program pretty much.
The card insert telling you how to put your manual together was off a little
maybe?  Oh well... so far so good!

--
Pam Woods                              Email:  Internet: axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu
University Of Alaska Anchorage                 Bitnet:   axpmw@alaska

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May4.143840.1@cc.helsinki.fi> ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>Does anyone already have the Superbase Professional version 4, or is it still
>vaporware? I got an upgrde offer about a month ago and I sent them immediately
>a fax and later a letter asking some details about the new version, but so far
>I have not received any answer... (the upgrade price was quite high, 90 pounds,
>so I want to know if it is worth it:-)

I received it about a week ago.  I haven't had the time to play with it much,
but I've read through parts of the manuals.  It looks to me as though the forms
development is better, not sure what all has changed because I haven't used it
that much.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (05/13/91)

>> But one thing that disturbed me, is that the warrenty card is already gone!
>> Registration card that is.... Maybe they filled it out because I was a
>> previously registered owner?  I'll have to call them and check it out.

Yup, they thought they were doing people a favor.  They should have warned us.

>> Warning - the documentation says chapter 1 is installation but I saw
>> nothing about it - you just have to use their setup program pretty much.

You'll want to check through your S: directory for files ending in ".Old" as
the setup routine adds assigns to your startup files (StartupII in my case).
If you're doing anything special in your startup, you'll want to check that
the setup process didn't mess anything up.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"