[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Installing WB 2.0.3

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (05/11/91)

     Well, having just gotten WB 2.0.3 I am gripped by a nasty choice:
     If I install the new software using the install disk, I'll probably
wipe out everything I just spent a week putting back on my already-once
erased hard drive.  Is this true?
     If I install the new WB using the install disk, will it destroy all the nw
the new libraries that I put in my LIBS: directory?  Will it destroy all the
PD software that I have painstakingly gathered to put on my Work: partition?
     I want the new software, but I don't want to trash everything I just
fixed!!!!!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (05/13/91)

In article <91130.201032DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu>, DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
>      Well, having just gotten WB 2.0.3 I am gripped by a nasty choice:
>      If I install the new software using the install disk, I'll probably
> wipe out everything I just spent a week putting back on my already-once
> erased hard drive.  Is this true?
>      If I install the new WB using the install disk, will it destroy all the nw
> the new libraries that I put in my LIBS: directory?  Will it destroy all the
> PD software that I have painstakingly gathered to put on my Work: partition?
>      I want the new software, but I don't want to trash everything I just
> fixed!!!!!

Here is what I normally do.

1) Backup my hard disk and the new floppy disks
2) Get into the shell
3) Put the new Workbench Disk in df0:
4) type: copy df0: sys: all
   (this will copy all of the workbench disk to the appropriate directories)
5) Remove the new Workbench disk
6) Put the new Extras disk in df0:
7) type: copy df0: sys: all
8) Remove the Extras disk
9) Run Update2.x to install the new kickstart
10) Reboot.  Operation complete.

No need to use the install diskette at all.

> /---------------------------------------------------------------------\
> | -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
> | -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
> | -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
> | --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
> | Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
> \---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

 -mark=

 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "The Most lopsided deal since ..."
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 "I protest Captain!  I am not a merry man!" - Lt. Worf