[comp.sys.amiga.applications] PasTeX performance on 68000 Amiga

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (05/08/91)

	I am considering using PasTeX at home on my Amiga 1000.  However,
before I start downloading many megabytes of files, I'd like to know
approximately how fast this program runs.

	How many seconds per page (or pages per second?) does PasTeX 1.2
run?  At school, I'm used to a speed of 1-3 pages per second.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (05/09/91)

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

>	How many seconds per page (or pages per second?) does PasTeX 1.2
>run?  At school, I'm used to a speed of 1-3 pages per second.

From memory:  running the .tex documents provided with PasTeX and Michael
Doob's "A Gentle Introduction to Tex" (about 100 pages) through virtex
took between 1 and 2 seconds per page.  The resulting .dvi file took
_much_ longer to print on my LaserJet IIP.  I assume most of the printing
time is time to transfer about a megabyte across the parallel interface
(but at that, it seems kinda long...)    The previewer, I suspect because
it deals with much lower resolution fonts and doesn't have to use an i/o
port, is considerably faster per page of output.

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (05/10/91)

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

> How many seconds per page (or pages per second?) does PasTeX 1.2
> run?  At school, I'm used to a speed of 1-3 pages per second.

What machine is that on?  Just curious.

Anyway, here's my highly unofficial stats, running the latest version
of PasTeX on a 12-page LaTeX file with lots of equations.  Timings were
gathered by simultaneously watching a clock on the screen and noticing
when left brackets popped up; I estimate them to be accurate to within
2 seconds.  Everything is running off a Quantum 105M hard disk.

09:17:30 Command typed.
     :31 TeX banner appears.
     :46 LaTeX format file finishes loading.
     :58 [1 appears.
09:18:03 [2 appears.
     :10 [3 appears.
     :18 [4 appears.
     :23 [5 appears.
     :29 [6 appears.
     :35 [7 appears.
     :41 [8 appears.
     :49 [9 appears.
     :54 [10 appears.
09:19:02 [11 appears.
     :08 [12 appears.
     :12 Done.

If we average just the costs of each page (not including the startup cost),
we get an average time per page of about 6.2 seconds.  If we include the
startup cost (i.e. take the total time and divide it by 12), we get 8.5
seconds per page.

I find the time per page pretty acceptable for a lowly 7 MHz 68000
machine.  The startup cost is pretty high, though--15 seconds to load
the format file, plus about 12 seconds to load the document style.
Unfortunately, there's no way to make the format file resident
(although all the actual programs--virtex, showdvi, initex, etc.--are
residentable--kudos to the author).

nj

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (05/15/91)

I wrote:

> From memory:  running the .tex documents provided with PasTeX and Michael
> Doob's "A Gentle Introduction to Tex" (about 100 pages) through virtex
> took between 1 and 2 seconds per page.  The resulting .dvi file took
> _much_ longer to print on my LaserJet IIP.  I assume most of the printing
> time is time to transfer about a megabyte across the parallel interface
> (but at that, it seems kinda long...)    The previewer, I suspect because
> it deals with much lower resolution fonts and doesn't have to use an i/o
> port, is considerably faster per page of output.

Well, so my memory is a bit foggy.  I reran "Gentle", which exercises a
lot of the native features of TeX, being a tutorial, but does not use any
macro packages.  "gentle.tex" was in ram:, and "gentle.dvi" was written
to ram:, this on a stock 7 MHz A-1000.  It took 14 seconds to spit out
the first page, then five additional minutes (within a couple seconds) to
process the rest of the document, 96 pages in all.  That seems to be
about 1/3 page per second, 20 pages per minute.  Again, that time is
very short compared with the printing time.