[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Mac's Microsoft Word

cctr120@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Brendon Wyber, C.S.C.) (01/14/91)

I have not got, nor do I ever intend to get a word processor for my Amiga.
However I am an extensive user of the Mac's MS Word and I have to say it is a
very good program.

Someone wanted a list of specifics, so here are some on them. I do not know how
many of these exist in amiga WPs, and I don't really care.

Note most of these feature are only useful for larger documents. Lets face it,
letters can be done on a line editor, or even written by hand (if anyone still
remembers how :-) ). Some of them are also hard to explain without showing you.

1. Style Sheets. Very useful. A style sheet consists of a set of text
formatting commands. Thus if you want to change the font or style of a
particular type of text (for example headings would be seperate style, or the
writting that goes under picture, or even quotes) you just need to change the
style sheet and all occurances of that text style are changed.

I cannot express the usefulness of Style sheets enough. They are just very very
very VERY VERY useful. Ok so I can express it. :-)

2. Dictionary spelling support. Useful. Word also comes with an add on
Thesaurus but it isn't built it.

3. Outlining. Allows you to define heading, sub headings, sub-sub-headings
and text. Ties in with style sheets very well. Allows you to move large chuck
of the document about.

4. Built in mathematical type setting.

5. Does lines and boxes.

6. Built in table support. Sort of works like a spread sheet.

7. Allows you to put in postscript commands. (If you know any Potscript)

8. Lots of text formatting option, subscript, super script, various types of
underlining, lots of tabbing controls, etc, etc, etc.

9. Section support so you can break the document up into seperate sections with
different page numbering styles, footers, headers, etc.

10. You can have columns. Also you can have paragraphs of text appeaing in odd
places with the other text flowing around it.

I could go on forever but I won't bore you. However if I did get an amiga WP
are there any with Style Sheets?

Be seeing you,

Brendon Wyber                     Computer Services Centre,
b.wyber@csc.canterbury.ac.nz      University of Canterbury, New Zealand.

"Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

jon@brahms.udel.edu (Jon Deutsch) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan15.031444.5@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> cctr120@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Brendon Wyber, C.S.C.) writes:
>I have not got, nor do I ever intend to get a word processor for my Amiga.
>However I am an extensive user of the Mac's MS Word and I have to say it is a
>very good program.
>
>Someone wanted a list of specifics, so here are some on them. I do not know how
>many of these exist in amiga WPs, and I don't really care.
>
>2. Dictionary spelling support. Useful. Word also comes with an add on
>Thesaurus but it isn't built it.

	I use MS Word quite frequently too.  I think that it is a
	much more solidly-done WP than any amiga WP out there right now.

	But, one thing that really bothers me about it is the
	spelling checker (which I use all TOO frequently :) ).
	The spell checker is absolutely slow!  Also, you cannot
	'mark' a word to ignore! (ie: an author's name that appears
	numerous times throughout the paper will be caught be the
	checker EVERY time - YUK!)

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       |>jon@brahms.udel.edu<|  "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch |>>-----------------<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan15.031444.5@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> cctr120@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Brendon Wyber, C.S.C.) writes:
>I have not got, nor do I ever intend to get a word processor for my Amiga.
>However I am an extensive user of the Mac's MS Word and I have to say it is a
>very good program.
>
>Someone wanted a list of specifics, so here are some on them. I do not know how
>many of these exist in amiga WPs, and I don't really care.

  This tells me right here that nothing I say will change anything. Fine,
you have your preferences, I have mine. 'I don't really care.' means
that your mind is closed to other WP's no matter how good they are.
Nothing could ever surpass Word.

>Note most of these feature are only useful for larger documents. Lets face it,
>letters can be done on a line editor, or even written by hand (if anyone still
>remembers how :-) ). Some of them are also hard to explain without showing you.
>
>1. Style Sheets. Very useful. A style sheet consists of a set of text
>formatting commands. Thus if you want to change the font or style of a
>particular type of text (for example headings would be seperate style, or the
>writting that goes under picture, or even quotes) you just need to change the
>style sheet and all occurances of that text style are changed.

  AmigaTeX, and TeX in general can do this, and has been doing so for years.
All someone has to do is hack up a nice GUI for TeX for people who aren't
smart enough to learn a language. (The Mac motto, hide the computer from the
user with a blindfolding GUI. BlackBox.)
  Someone could easily make an Arexx script to process TeX files and make
changes to fonts, sizes, styles, etc.
 I can live without it though, search/replace in an editor works fine.

>I cannot express the usefulness of Style sheets enough. They are just very very
>very VERY VERY useful. Ok so I can express it. :-)
>
>2. Dictionary spelling support. Useful. Word also comes with an add on
>Thesaurus but it isn't built it.

   This is no biggie, I think Excellence has a dictionary & Thesaurus.

>3. Outlining. Allows you to define heading, sub headings, sub-sub-headings
>and text. Ties in with style sheets very well. Allows you to move large chuck
>of the document about.
   I pretty sure this can be done with TeX, nroff/troff, etc.

>4. Built in mathematical type setting.
   AmigaTeX. Especially in combination with Maple which can output formula's
as TeX.
>5. Does lines and boxes.
   TeX.
>6. Built in table support. Sort of works like a spread sheet.
   TeX. Atleast i've seen mathematical tables done in box's etc.

>7. Allows you to put in postscript commands. (If you know any Potscript)
  I know there are several Amiga WP's that support Post and Color post.
 But when you've got TeX, you don't need postscript as much.

>8. Lots of text formatting option, subscript, super script, various types of
>underlining, lots of tabbing controls, etc, etc, etc.
  TeX. Not to mention every WP i've seen supports this, even back to
GeoWrite on the C64.
>9. Section support so you can break the document up into seperate sections with
>different page numbering styles, footers, headers, etc.
   TeX.
>10. You can have columns. Also you can have paragraphs of text appeaing in odd
>places with the other text flowing around it.
   TeX.
>I could go on forever but I won't bore you. However if I did get an amiga WP
>are there any with Style Sheets?

  Basically, everything you've stated is either already in an Amiga
WP, or in TeX. Some people argue TeX is hard. I disagree, some people are
just intimidated or frightened that they may actually have to <gasp> learn
something about their computer and the workings of computer languages.

  Any other features Word has that no Amiga WP or Typesetter has?
Does Word have an Arexx port? :-)

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (01/15/91)

In article <19639@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1619a@prism.gatech.EDU (Net Runner Mark V) writes:

>They are working on (beginning work on) porting MS Works to the Amiga. Their
>product may be two to three years away, but they have a reputaion of doing
>things righ the first time round.

Obviously you never worked with OS/2 1.0..... or Windows 1.0... or....

Really big :-)

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) (01/16/91)

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>>1. Style Sheets. Very useful. A style sheet consists of a set of text
>>formatting commands. Thus if you want to change the font or style of a

>  AmigaTeX, and TeX in general can do this, and has been doing so for years.
>All someone has to do is hack up a nice GUI for TeX for people who aren't
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  If it's so easy, why don't you do it Ray?

>smart enough to learn a language. (The Mac motto, hide the computer from the
>user with a blindfolding GUI. BlackBox.)

>  Someone could easily make an Arexx script to process TeX files and make
>changes to fonts, sizes, styles, etc.
> I can live without it though, search/replace in an editor works fine.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Although it would perhaps be possible to do this with some
super-duper Search/Replace function [probably involving huge regular
expressions, and extremely complicated semantics], style sheets make
this automatic.  Please, if you haven't seen style sheets [hell,
they've been around for over 5 years], you really don't know what
you're missing.

>>[lots of other comparison to TeX deleted]

>  Basically, everything you've stated is either already in an Amiga
>WP, or in TeX. Some people argue TeX is hard. I disagree, some people are
>just intimidated or frightened that they may actually have to <gasp> learn
>something about their computer and the workings of computer languages.

  Yes, TeX can do basically everything that Word can do.  But it
IS complicated to learn.  The point is that people DON'T have to learn
about the "workings of computer languages" to get a powerful word
processor.  Word already exists in a user-friendly form.
  Incidentally, I consider Nisus 3.0 to be a much more powerful word
processor than Word, so Word should not be taken as the be-all and
end-all of word processors.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"I didn't get where I am today without knowing a good deal when I see one,
 Reggie."  "Yes, C.J."

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.214938.13706@Neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) writes:
>rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>>>1. Style Sheets. Very useful. A style sheet consists of a set of text
>>>formatting commands. Thus if you want to change the font or style of a
>
>>  AmigaTeX, and TeX in general can do this, and has been doing so for years.
>>All someone has to do is hack up a nice GUI for TeX for people who aren't
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  If it's so easy, why don't you do it Ray?

 If someone was willing to pay, say $15 shareware I might. Personally,I
don't see the point of it. Its quicker for me to type \section then to
have a menu item pop up a string requester asking for a section name.
Lots of time, I feel the mouse only gets in the way. Having to take my
hands off the keyboard to choose a menu item is a big pain. Keyboard
shortcuts could be used, and a interface that hides the \ TeX language
from the user and displays the result could be created, but thats not the
philosophy behind TeX. TeX is far from WYSIWYG but it gets the job done.

>  Although it would perhaps be possible to do this with some
>super-duper Search/Replace function [probably involving huge regular
>expressions, and extremely complicated semantics], style sheets make
>this automatic.  Please, if you haven't seen style sheets [hell,
>they've been around for over 5 years], you really don't know what
>you're missing.

  I haven't seen them, but they seem trivial.

>  Yes, TeX can do basically everything that Word can do.  But it
>IS complicated to learn.  The point is that people DON'T have to learn
>about the "workings of computer languages" to get a powerful word
>processor.  Word already exists in a user-friendly form.
>  Incidentally, I consider Nisus 3.0 to be a much more powerful word
>processor than Word, so Word should not be taken as the be-all and
>end-all of word processors.

TeX is hard to learn? Isn't \section,\title,\author, etc intuitive enough?
What person of average intelligence can not look at \section{Introduction}
and guess what it means? I'm glad atleast you don't believe Word is the god
of WP's.
  I guess since I'm a programmer I have a twisted view of the world. In my
mind, a something like TeX, CygnusEd/Turbotext, and Arexx combined together
spells the ultimate in power.

>--
>Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
>"I didn't get where I am today without knowing a good deal when I see one,
> Reggie."  "Yes, C.J."

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.222837.20284@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
[stuff about MS Word deleted]

>  AmigaTeX, and TeX in general can do this, and has been doing so for years.
>All someone has to do is hack up a nice GUI for TeX for people who aren't
>smart enough to learn a language. (The Mac motto, hide the computer from the
>user with a blindfolding GUI. BlackBox.)

Um, I don't know if anyone else has bothered to point it out, but there
are those of us "smart enough to learn a language" who don't have time
to learn a new one for every application.  ESPECIALLY when that
application is word processing.

[more stuff deleted]

>  Basically, everything you've stated is either already in an Amiga
>WP, or in TeX. Some people argue TeX is hard. I disagree, some people are
>just intimidated or frightened that they may actually have to <gasp> learn
>something about their computer and the workings of computer languages.
>
>  Any other features Word has that no Amiga WP or Typesetter has?
>Does Word have an Arexx port? :-)

Why is it that every time someone on the net posts >anything< that even
LOOKS like they want a user interface that's made for the user, crys of
"You're not smart enough/You're too lazy to learn to do it the hard way?"

I may be commiting a sacrilege here, but why >should< someone have to
"learn something about their computer and the workings of computer
languages" in order to put their thoughts on paper in an attractive and
effective format?

--
 *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *
 *     "When there is a war, the whole war is an illegal        *

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Heffernan) (01/16/91)

In article <662@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>Why is it that every time someone on the net posts >anything< that even
>LOOKS like they want a user interface that's made for the user, crys of
>"You're not smart enough/You're too lazy to learn to do it the hard way?"
>
>I may be commiting a sacrilege here, but why >should< someone have to
>"learn something about their computer and the workings of computer
>languages" in order to put their thoughts on paper in an attractive and
>effective format?
>

>--
> *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *

	Because all the W.I.M.P. interfacing in the world doesn't help.

	I'm quite serious.  One of my best friends is a Mac consultant, and
he's told me some real horror stories, ranging from people whose Macs boot into
an application (usually Omnus) and are scared when they see Finder pop up to
people who call for help when presented with a dialog box with ONE option.

	He'd bought his first Mac back when they first came out (128K ram,
64K rom, 400K single-sided drive).  The two of us played around with it a lot,
and got involved in the first meetings of a local users group (NJMUG), which
he eventually became president of.  But in those first meetings, they had to
give a class on 'point, click, and drag'.  Most of an evening spent on how to
use the MOUSE, never mind Finder.  To paraphrase Dennis Miller, isn't this
when the government comes and puts you to sleep?

	I've come to the conclusion that all this GUI stuff was a Bad Idea.
All it has done is put computers in the hands of people who just can't handle
them.  (Then again, I suppose it's not all bad.  It gave my friend a job.  ;-)

	Followups directed to .advocacy, of course.

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"Using C will definitely cut your life expectancy by 10 years or more."
	-- Carl Sassenrath, GURU'S GUIDE TO THE COMMODORE AMIGA

jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) (01/16/91)

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
> TeX is hard to learn? Isn't \section,\title,\author, etc intuitive enough?
> What person of average intelligence can not look at \section{Introduction}
> and guess what it means? I'm glad atleast you don't believe Word is the god
> of WP's.

  \section, \title, etc., are indeed easy to learn but they aren't TeX,
they're LaTeX. LaTeX is a very large set of TeX macros which hide TeX's
complicated machinery. I use LaTeX for most everything and, indeed, I find
it just as easy to use as most word processors. However if you ever need
to change a style, introduce a new font family, etc., then you have to
know TeX, and it *ain't* easy.

  Jim
James A. Crotinger   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab // The above views
jac@gandalf.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630     \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259       Livermore CA  94550       \\/ necessarily those of LLNL.

hugo@chocorua.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.214938.13706@Neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) writes:
>  Yes, TeX can do basically everything that Word can do.  But it
>IS complicated to learn.  The point is that people DON'T have to learn
>about the "workings of computer languages" to get a powerful word
>processor.  Word already exists in a user-friendly form.
>  Incidentally, I consider Nisus 3.0 to be a much more powerful word
>processor than Word, so Word should not be taken as the be-all and
>end-all of word processors.

What is this myth that TeX is hard to learn?  Grad students here learn
enough LaTeX to do just about everything in about 2 days.  Problems
crop up when they need fancier formatting, or when they decide that
they want to change the default styles...but doing that kind of thing
should be left to real TeX hackers.

Just for fun, let's do a comparison.  I want to make a "section"
style that skips down on the page, and puts out a section header in
bold roman, then skips a bit more and formats the first paragraph of
the section with no paragraph indent.

In TeX, the macro is roughly like this:

\def\section#1{\medskip\noindent{\bf #1}\smallskip\noindent}

Then to use it, *bang* you just type this:

\section{foo}

You can fine tune the macro to avoid bad page breaking...but that's
for hackers.

Compare this to Word, where you have to create 2 styles, using 4
dialogs, and you have to remember to link the styles together using
the 'next style' hook, and then you have to be real careful about
applying styles because for some ungodly reason, applying style A to
something already formatted in style B gives you text in style A+B,
rather than just A.  *And*, if you want the style to number the
section, or later, you decide that the section title should be inlined
rather then a separate paragraph, you lose.  You can't do it (I
think).

So, which system is easier to use?  Hmm?

BTW, Nicus is better, but has many of the same problems as Word.  But,
I can get it to number sections using macros.  Nice.

Pete

P.S.  Similar troff macros are just as trivial.

hugo@sunapee.dartmouth.edu

In article <662@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>In article <1991Jan14.222837.20284@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>[stuff about MS Word deleted]
>
>Um, I don't know if anyone else has bothered to point it out, but there
>are those of us "smart enough to learn a language" who don't have time
>to learn a new one for every application.  ESPECIALLY when that
>application is word processing.
>
>>  Basically, everything you've stated is either already in an Amiga
>>WP, or in TeX. Some people argue TeX is hard. I disagree, some people are
>>just intimidated or frightened that they may actually have to <gasp> learn
>>something about their computer and the workings of computer languages.
>
>Why is it that every time someone on the net posts >anything< that even
>LOOKS like they want a user interface that's made for the user, crys of
>"You're not smart enough/You're too lazy to learn to do it the hard way?"
>
>I may be commiting a sacrilege here, but why >should< someone have to
>"learn something about their computer and the workings of computer
>languages" in order to put their thoughts on paper in an attractive and
>effective format?

I agree fullheartedly. Obviously this is a point where people and
their character differ strongly. I myself am doing always very hard
to learn the cryptic keystrokes necessary in some odd programs.
(I'm typing this in vi, which sadist ever thought out those brain-dead
command keys???)

So, for my daily letter writing, I'm stuck with a rather aged
word processor, that also has a user interface that's a bit crude,
but I have gotten accustomed to it (ok, it's at least a *little*
logical). You won't know it, I think it's not internationally
available, called SuperDesk. I can type with it rather fast and
it does the things I need in letters (no fonts, only bold and
underscore). And when I need something special, then I grab out
my old self-programmed (in Basic) word processor, change some
lines for that special task, and then I'm done. (Watch: modifying
an own program is NO difficulty for me.)

Point is, programs like Wordstar and most of other current
word processors are real hell for me. I simply can't remember all
those double-key control sequences! So when I read somewhere that
the editor of some integrated package is Wordstar compatible (they
think this is a positive argument, haha), I immediately stop
considering that software.

And MS Word also has a rather ugly interface for my taste. Its
menu structure is in my eyes very intransparent, and the way some
functions work from the keyboard is very awesome. If you haven't
got a mouse on your PC or AT, you MUST have that strip above your
function keys, else you (read: I) are lost. And I hate situations where
I'm lost. (Remember when I first fell into vi on accident and didn't
find the way out: PANIC! No Esc or function key, no Ctrl-C or other
normal key sequence worked, then somebody told me to use colon quit!
I really thought he was going to fool me. Still today I shiver when
I remember that.)

So until now I was speaking totally about my own view of these items.
But I know there are many people outside built just the other way,
as cited above: they LOVE to learn new interfaces every day and
get their satisfaction from the conscience that they mastered some
new software again. I feel extremely jealous in neighbourhood of
such guys. But I have not the slightest idea whether I or these
people represent "Joe Average User". Does anybody have?

And for such partly limited people like me (:-), a well-designed
GUI is a big help. E.g. that PD text editor AZ makes up a real
nice text editor, but I don't think you can call it a word processor.
But surely MS Word isn't satisfying here, too, at least for me.

espie@egret.Stanford.EDU (Marc Espie) (01/17/91)

So... TeX has no GUI, Word has one. What does this mean ?
In particular, it means that you can do what you want with Word,
format a document in atrocious ways while believing you're doing
a great job. Nobody would be that stupid ? Well...

I've seen friends use Word to produce wonderful pile of craps.
It's so easy to change fonts, use a cute little format, underline
things, that you VERY RAPIDLY end with a page where everything
IS a special effect. You get a nice computer product, not a
readable document...

I don't believe I would be able to do better by myself, but I use
TeX (or LaTeX, or AMSTeX, depends), and most of my stuff comes out
right. There are some ``special effects'' in LaTeX, but styles
have been written by people who spent a lot of time trying to
ensure that everything would come out right (example: titles,
subtitles, captions). IF I want to add another special effect,
I've got to think about it. Mind you, I don't spend much time
trying to figure out how to program it, I spend my time laying
it out, finding exactly how it should look.

Other case in point: TeX is a logical system. If you want to
lay out a math formula, you have to say so. Because nobody
told most of the guys who use Word, they fill their texts
with ``n'' and other small formulas which look EXACTLY like
normal text (same roman-type font) and which look awful.
Also, find me a good word-processor which will lay out formulas
at least as good as TeX, where I don't have to fiddle with
blank spaces to get it exactly right (which means, of course,
that two pages latter, I'll have to do it again, for another
formula following the same logic, but NOT the same formula---you
can't always use cut/paste). It is very difficult to come up
with a consistent style with Word-like programs.
Other case: if you want to write a
big document, like a book, you're better off with TeX. If your
publisher suddenly decides it would look better the other way,
you spend two hours with TeX and voila ! With Word, you will
have to take another week. Why do you think most scientific books published
nowadays are designed with TeX or troff and not Word ?

Of course, if you already know much about document-design, you will
be able to do it with Word, and appreciate the interactivity.
The way TeX is designed, you can't do that, but you can change your
document with a few commands, and have barely any automatic mistakes
to correct.

So you have a choice:
- you can learn TeX.
- you can learn document-formatting and use Word.
- you can learn neither and rely on your personal taste to produce
things with Word :-):-).

	Marc

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/17/91)

espie@egret.Stanford.EDU (Marc Espie) writes:

>So... TeX has no GUI, Word has one. What does this mean ?
>In particular, it means that you can do what you want with Word,
>format a document in atrocious ways while believing you're doing
>a great job. Nobody would be that stupid ? Well...

One "argument" is that a WYSIYUG puts "emphasis" on the "apparence"
so people "ignore" the contents.

With TeX ya normally don't worry about the "Look" bacause it'll
normally look good no matter what. Snd using a "simple" editor
puts the "emphasis" back on content.

>Why do you think most scientific books published
>nowadays are designed with TeX or troff and not Word ?

TeX (and Latex) [I haven't used AMStex] Really Cooks on
equations, Automatic numbering, (YA add a new equation and the others
get renumbered) Ease of use, and just plain Looking Good!

>So you have a choice:
>- you can learn TeX.
Learning LaTeX is a LOT easier...

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (01/17/91)

>       Because all the W.I.M.P. interfacing in the world doesn't help.
>
>      I'm quite serious.  One of my best friends is a Mac consultant, and he's
>told me some real horror stories, ranging from people whose Macs boot into
>an application (usually Omnus) and are scared when they see Finder pop up to
>people who call for help when presented with a dialog box with ONE option.
     Yes I've met these people too, who wouldn't know what to do if they were
  put next to a CLI.

>        He'd bought his first Mac back when they first came out (128K ram,
>64K rom, 400K single-sided drive).  The two of us played around with it a lot,
>and got involved in the first meetings of a local users group (NJMUG), which
>he eventually became president of.  But in those first meetings, they had to
>give a class on 'point, click, and drag'.  Most of an evening spent on how to
>use the MOUSE, never mind Finder.  To paraphrase Dennis Miller, isn't this
>when the government comes and puts you to sleep?
>
>        I've come to the conclusion that all this GUI stuff was a Bad Idea.
>All it has done is put computers in the hands of people who just can't handle
>them.  (Then again, I suppose it's not all bad.  It gave my friend a job.  ;-)
      Eventhough I met people like you mentioned, I still beleive that GUI is
 the greatest thing ever done to computers.  Why, it is forcing developers to
 make standard user interfaces.  A user should not need to learn everything
 about a computer to use that computer.  Yes the filp side to this is that
 it stagnates creativity.  However more users are able to be more productive,
 and they tend to leave the IS department alone, to work on more important
 things.

epeterso@houligan.encore.com (Eric Peterson) (01/17/91)

hugo@chocorua.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) writes:

| In article <1991Jan15.214938.13706@Neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) writes:
| >  Yes, TeX can do basically everything that Word can do.  But it
| >IS complicated to learn.
|
| What is this myth that TeX is hard to learn?  Grad students here learn
| enough LaTeX to do just about everything in about 2 days.  Problems
| crop up when they need fancier formatting, or when they decide that
| they want to change the default styles...but doing that kind of thing
| should be left to real TeX hackers.

Changing a default style is something that you shouldn't have to hack
at to do.

| Just for fun, let's do a comparison.  I want to make a "section"
| style that skips down on the page, and puts out a section header in
| bold roman, then skips a bit more and formats the first paragraph of
| the section with no paragraph indent.
|
| In TeX, the macro is roughly like this:
|
| \def\section#1{\medskip\noindent{\bf #1}\smallskip\noindent}
|
| Then to use it, *bang* you just type this:
|
| \section{foo}
|
| You can fine tune the macro to avoid bad page breaking...but that's
| for hackers.

You've convinced me.  I hereby take back everything I've ever said
about TeX not being intuitive (especially the part with the "*bang*"
in it ... is that in the manual?  Actually, knowing Knuth's stuff, it
probably is :-)

| [[ Comparable Word example, showing Word defficiencies ]]

I bet that I could figure out how to do it in Word without using the
manual faster than I could in TeX.

| So, which system is easier to use?  Hmm?

There is no absolute answer.  TeX is easier for you.  FrameMaker is
easier for me.  Word and WordPerfect are easier for the masses.

| P.S.  Similar troff macros are just as trivial.

Trivial for those who speak the language.  But a picture book is
always going to be easier and more universal reading than a novel in a
foreign language.

Eric
--
       Eric Peterson <> epeterson@encore.com <> uunet!encore!epeterson
   Encore Computer Corp. * Ft. Lauderdale, Florida * (305) 587-2900 x 5208

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (05/18/91)

cctr120@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Brendon Wyber, C.S.C.) writes:

>I have not got, nor do I ever intend to get a word processor for my Amiga.
>However I am an extensive user of the Mac's MS Word and I have to say it is a
>very good program.

> [extensive list of definately desireable features]
Agreed, style sheets are heavenly.

Who needs an Amiga version of Word when Mac emulation is so cheap and easy?
Go ahead, buy AMaxII (around $150), pirate the ROM file and pirate MS
Word for the mac.  Don't whine about the legality of taking profits away
from corporations whose CEOs make >$10 million a year.  It's morally
correct to pirate Mac ROMs!  Yes it is!  In fact, you should help
make macintoshing free even if you have no need yourself - it's not just
correct, it's a MORAL IMPERATIVE.  I suggest buying AMaxII ONLY
because ReadySoft is a small, Amiga-oriented company (not because it's
necessary - it isn't).

It works for me, and it works very well.  MS Word *screams* on a 3000.

If you disagree on morality, spare the net your flames.  Email.
If you agree on morality, email also.

Ben, radical ecologist, computer scientist, moral relativist at large.