[comp.sys.amiga.applications] WordPerfect compatible with WB_2.0

dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us (Dave Hansen) (05/01/91)

A friend of mine with an A3000 updated to the latest WordPerfect that was
supposed to be compatible with WB_2.0.  His comments are that while it works
with 2.0, it is somewhat buggy.  Does anyone know if WP plans another release
soon that will be more stable?  While I really am not concerned with WP5.1
compatibility, I DO need some MSDos compatibility more than plain ascii.
Aren't there ANY Amiga word processors that have MSDos compatibility?  Even
Multi-mate on the MSDos platform has a number of conversions, including some
that intimate that the Fed's have a standard word processing format.
The Amiga, Word Perfect, and PageStream are a great combination, but my
MSDos'ers need to have at least a compatible word processor data format.

voice: (708)691-4747             Internet:dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (05/07/91)

In <dhansen.6411@amiganet.chi.il.us> dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us (Dave Hansen) writes:

>While I really am not concerned with WP5.1
>compatibility, I DO need some MSDos compatibility more than plain ascii.

I don't understand your problem.  I have been exporting my Amiga WordPerfect
files to PCs for years.  WP5+ can read older versions.  It's on the "List
Files" menu, last I looked.  Before I got my HP Laserjet, I used to take
the WP files in to one of the companies I worked for, to print on theirs.
I've submitted my resume on WP diskette.  All you need is a 5.25" drive.
The program to copy the data is shipped with AmigaDOS, in the PCTools
directory.

Seriously, I believe that WP Corp. made a BIG mistake in freezing WP at
4.x on the Amiga.  They limited themselves to the "it's portable" market,
like me.  Most Amiga owners, justifiably, believe that any wordprocessor
that cannot import graphics is braindead.  If WP5.x were available, there
would not only be upgrade sales (remember, the PC users didn't get it as
a free upgrade, either), but new users would be added if they could import
their IFF files into printed documents.

It's funny to read 386/Windows/WP users complaining about the responsive-
ness of WP 5.1 under Windows.  They should see our 4.1 running under a
real windowing environment.  Instantaneous cursor to mouse-pointer, fast,
smooth scroll, using the drag bars, etc.

Dan Taylor
/* My opinions, not NCR's. */

watters@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (05/08/91)

In article <931@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:

>It's funny to read 386/Windows/WP users complaining about the responsive-
>ness of WP 5.1 under Windows.  They should see our 4.1 running under a
>real windowing environment.  Instantaneous cursor to mouse-pointer, fast,
>smooth scroll, using the drag bars, etc.

Hardly!  WP is one of the doggiest (as in s l  o   w) programs I use.  Under
2.0, I had to use public_screens to have WP open onto a 2color screen, becuase
at 718x480x3b.p. it is _way_ to painful to use.

I do like the portability, and it's advance features, but there are too many
unsung programs on the Amiga that get the job done faster, better, and easier.
As far as the Amiga Market, I think WP, Lotus, and MicroSoft can go rot in the
sespool of PissyDos land they helped create. (Like where I work. :-))

Has anyone in an OS class ever noticed how they always use MSdos as an example
of how _NOT_ to do it.  Sorry, I am diverging.

David
--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (05/09/91)

In <118031@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> watters@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) writes:

>Hardly!  WP is one of the doggiest (as in s l  o   w) programs I use.  Under
>2.0, I had to use public_screens to have WP open onto a 2color screen, becuase
>at 718x480x3b.p. it is _way_ to painful to use.

Oh, I wasn't saying that WP was the best Amiga wordprocessor, just that
I have seen reviewers in the general PC press complaining that they have
really terrible delays, and I don't see those problems on either my A1000/
floppy, or, especially, my A2500/30.

I haven't tried it interlace, since I have a genlock, not a flixer, in
my video slot.  Maybe I'll try it, briefly, anyway.  Could be instructive.
I may try a "huge" window, under 2.0, too.

Dan Taylor

Bill.Hirt@kcufgat.fidonet.org (Bill Hirt) (05/10/91)

Dan Taylor writes:
 >Seriously, I believe that WP Corp. made a BIG mistake in freezing WP at
 >4.x on the Amiga.  They limited themselves to the "it's portable" market,
 >like me.  Most Amiga owners, justifiably, believe that any wordprocessor
 >that cannot import graphics is braindead.  If WP5.x were available, there
 >would not only be upgrade sales (remember, the PC users didn't get it as
 >a free upgrade, either), but new users would be added if they could import
 >their IFF files into printed documents.

The Word Perfect forum on GEnie had an interview with Pete Peterson, the
president of Word Perfect. Users were encouraged to send in questions. I
sent several questions and apparently so did a lot of other Amiga users
according the interview text. He responded to my question about where is
WPCorp going with Amiga by saying that WordPerfect currently had a team of
programmers working on porting the UNIX version of WordPerfect 5.0 to the
Amiga. However, he said he would not say when or if it will be released, and
exactly what features it will support. Someone asked about other products
and he said there were no plans for any other WP products such as
PlanPerfect on the Amiga right now. He did say that WP is no longer doing
any development on the Atari and Apple II/GS versions, so I assume those
programmers may have been shifted to Amiga development.

 * Origin: Amiga Central BBS 816-587-5360 320mbs MOKCI (1:280/304)

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (05/14/91)

In <673838498.0@kcufgat.fidonet> Bill.Hirt@kcufgat.fidonet.org (Bill Hirt) writes:

>programmers working on porting the UNIX version of WordPerfect 5.0 to the

I haven't seen WP 5.X on UNIX, either.  The 3B version is 4.1, the 88K
version appears to be.  If this is true, it's good news for me, on
several platforms.

I do have the Amiga version of WP Library.  The file manager is redundant
on AmigaDOS, mostly, but it provides a consistant interface for my wife,
who shares the A2500/30.  I like the calulator, and the "flatfile" database
is OK for albums, books, and mailing lists.  Don't use the calendar, much,
or the PE.

Thanks
Dan Taylor

Bill.Hirt@kcufgat.fidonet.org (Bill Hirt) (05/18/91)

Dan Taylor writes:
 >I do have the Amiga version of WP Library.  The file manager is redundant
 >on AmigaDOS, mostly, but it provides a consistant interface for my wife,
 >who shares the A2500/30.  I like the calulator, and the "flatfile" database
 >is OK for albums, books, and mailing lists.  Don't use the calendar, much,
 >or the PE.

I've installed Library on my 3000. PE, calculators, file manager, and
database appear to work fine under 2.0, but the other programs like calendar
don't like WB 2.0 a whole lot. I use PE quite a bit because I use WP at work
and home, and PE is a little easier to use to edit straight ASCII text.

 * Origin: Amiga Central BBS 816-587-5360 320mbs MOKCI (1:280/304)

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (05/20/91)

In article <674609558.0@kcufgat.fidonet> Bill.Hirt@kcufgat.fidonet.org (Bill Hirt) writes:
>I've installed Library on my 3000. PE, calculators, file manager, and
>database appear to work fine under 2.0, but the other programs like calendar
>don't like WB 2.0 a whole lot.

Calendar had a problem with Kickstart 2.02 and earlier.  Kickstart 2.04
will fix that.

> * Origin: Amiga Central BBS 816-587-5360 320mbs MOKCI (1:280/304)

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com