[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Classical Greek font for word-processing?

v125lqbx@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian T McColpin) (05/15/91)

A friend of mine (a classics scholar) would like to be able to do
(English) word-processing with inclusion of Greek letters.  He emphasized
that a scientific Greek font would not suffice, as those don't allow for
the inclusion of accents.

Does anyone do this now?  If so, what word-processing package do you
use, and what font are you using?  Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

In article <76534@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v125lqbx@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>A friend of mine (a classics scholar) would like to be able to do
>(English) word-processing with inclusion of Greek letters.  He emphasized
>that a scientific Greek font would not suffice, as those don't allow for
>the inclusion of accents.

Only as last ressort, but then, it *IS* a possibility: Fire up 1.3 and
use the font editor fed to create your own greek font. It's *really*
easy! The only difficult part will come when you want to implement
real dead keys for the accents. Then you would also need a keymap, and
that requires assembler.

holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) (05/16/91)

In article <1226@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>The only difficult part will come when you want to implement
>real dead keys for the accents. Then you would also need a keymap, and
>that requires assembler.

No, it only requires Tim Friest's KeyMapEd from Fish Disk 388.

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (05/16/91)

v125lqbx@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian T McColpin) writes:

>A friend of mine (a classics scholar) would like to be able to do
>(English) word-processing with inclusion of Greek letters.  He emphasized
>that a scientific Greek font would not suffice, as those don't allow for
>the inclusion of accents.

It's typesetting, not word processing (and the source text you provide is
certainly not WISIWIG!), but TeX (e.g., PasTeX or AmigaTeX) should have no
problem doing that.  I haven't actually tried putting diacritical marks on
Greek letters, but it should work the same as it does for modern European
languages...

hill@cse.uta.edu (Adam Hill) (05/19/91)

    If there exists a Postscript version of the font there is a way to
generate a Amiga version of the font to use in "regular" WP's
(Prowrite). You need Adrian Aaylward's Post library and a program
written by him called "mkbmap".

    Mkbmap will take a PS Type 1 or 3 fonts and render it to a bitmap.
(Like Tom Rokicki does with TeX and *.pk files). It will accept the
building of any size font (up to mem constraints) and will make a
directory and build the *.font file!! (Talk about nice...)

    If you cant get a hold of the right programs send me mail.

All we need now is a version of Fontographer.... (Or a version of a
xdf_*.library that will read in PS 1 or 3 fonts.)
--
 adam hill --  hill@cse.uta.edu        ASOCC - University of Texas at UTA
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Gian Uberto Lauri 228495) (05/20/91)

In article <76534@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v125lqbx@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>A friend of mine (a classics scholar) would like to be able to do
>(English) word-processing with inclusion of Greek letters.  He emphasized
>that a scientific Greek font would not suffice, as those don't allow for
>the inclusion of accents.
>
>Does anyone do this now?  If so, what word-processing package do you
>use, and what font are you using?  Any info would be much appreciated.

At this time the only package I know that can typeset greek is TeX
with a classic greek font. With a little bit of hacking (writing fonts
for both the printer and amiga screen, a printer configuration file
and so on) Wordperfect could be used, but in a dirty way.

o   oooooo	Gian Uberto Lauri
      o    o	saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it
     o o

Doug Bischoff <DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/22/91)

     Where could one get a hold of MKBmap?  Thanks for any help.

-Bish