[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Spectracolor

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (05/19/91)

     O.K.  I've downloaded the Spectracolor demo from AB20.  Looks nice.  I've
got a couple of questions though, perhaps someone could answer.

	1)  Is it possible to open the program in an interlaced mode or does
	    HAM prevent that?

	2)  Doesn't Spectracolor allow you to map pictures onto objects,
	    or am I thinking of a different program?

Maybe I'll think of some more later...

				--George
--
George L. Skank			|Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...   ///
Senior, Electrical Engineering	|Amiga!					   ///

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.065210.11782@news.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:

>     O.K.  I've downloaded the Spectracolor demo from AB20.  Looks nice.  I've
>got a couple of questions though, perhaps someone could answer.
>
>	1)  Is it possible to open the program in an interlaced mode or does
>	    HAM prevent that?
>
>	2)  Doesn't Spectracolor allow you to map pictures onto objects,
>	    or am I thinking of a different program?
>
>Maybe I'll think of some more later...
>
>				--George
>--
>George L. Skank			|Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...   ///
>Senior, Electrical Engineering	|Amiga!					   ///
>Iowa State University, Ames, IA	|				      \\\ ///
>skank@iastate.edu		|Phone: (515) 233-2165		       \\X//

The demo should have a menu selection for "screen mode" to let you
switch to interlace, and turn overscan on or off.

No you can't really map pictures to objects. Spectra color is a paint
program not a 3-D rendering program. It doesn't know from "objects" -
however it has brush "wrapping" features and specular highlighting
features with which you could take an IFF picture and "wrap" it around
a sphere or a cylinder or a cube and put a hot spot that dithers out
across the "object" and do some fairly convincing pseudo-3d stuff
this way.

Spectra Color is actually the next generation of Photon Paint, except
the authors (Bazbosoft) took their code to Oxxi, whereas it was
formerly published by Microillusions.  The two programs are very
close in overall functionality except Spectra Color adds animated
brushes and better overall control of making HAM animations.

BOTH programs *ONLY* output HAM pictures or anims.

witzany@sparc1 (David Witzany) (05/20/91)

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:

>Spectra Color is actually the next generation of Photon Paint, except
>the authors (Bazbosoft) took their code to Oxxi, whereas it was
>formerly published by Microillusions.  The two programs are very
>close in overall functionality except Spectra Color adds animated
>brushes and better overall control of making HAM animations.

Since Spectra Color is already on the market and I haven't gotten any mail
from Oxxi, I'm afraid I already know the answer to this question, but here
goes anyway:

Can those of us who are registered Photon Paint owners get any discount on
Spectra Color?

(Fingers crossed, eyes squeezed shut, oh please, oh please, oh...)

--

	Dave Witzany
	(witzany@sparc1.isgs.uiuc.edu)

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.150840.18843@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> witzany@sparc1 (David Witzany) writes:
>hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:

>>Spectra Color is actually the next generation of Photon Paint, except

>Can those of us who are registered Photon Paint owners get any discount on
>Spectra Color?
>(Fingers crossed, eyes squeezed shut, oh please, oh please, oh...)

Yes you can, the people at Oxxi said that owners of Photon Paint
could get spectra color for $50, half the list price.  I don't know
if they have the PP mailing list or what, but they do have the
offer.

Rick

_____________________________.sig____________________________________
The generic .sig          Rick Blewitt     rblewitt@ucsd.edu

echadez@isis.cs.du.edu (Edward Vincent Chadez) (05/21/91)

Does anyone know what version of Photon Paint you need to upgrade?

Does anyone know what is required to upgrade?

Does anyone care? (Besides me, of course....:-) )

echadez@isis.cs.du.edu (Edward Vincent Chadez) (05/23/91)

Richard Blewitt writes:
>David Witzany writes:
>
>>Can those of us who are registered Photon Paint owners get any discount on
>>Spectra Color?
>>(Fingers crossed, eyes squeezed shut, oh please, oh please, oh...)
>
>Yes you can, the people at Oxxi said that owners of Photon Paint
>could get spectra color for $50, half the list price.  I don't know
>if they have the PP mailing list or what, but they do have the
>offer.

Does anyone know the procedure to upgrade to Spectra Color?  And is the
upgrade path from PhotonPaint 2.0 only?

>Rick

Ed

 \X/ echadez@isis.cs.du.edu                                   Edward Chadez