[comp.sys.amiga.applications] SBase Professional 4: questions and answers

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (05/25/91)

Here is some questions concerning the new Superbase Professional 4, and also
the answers I got from a member of the Superbase programming team (Thank you,
Tim! :-). I supppose this data is useful also for other people, so I posted
it here...

> 1) Is this SBPor 4 still dongle protected?

No. Protection is now by program registration. Your name,
organisation and serial number are encrypted into the program during
installation. These details are then displayed on the copyright and
about banners.

> 2) Is the upgrade price same for v. 2.0 and 3.0 owners? Because I have
> already upgraded once from 2.0 to 3.0, I would naturally be pleased to see
> some benefit from that investment:

I don't know the exact numbers, but it is cheaper to upgrade from
V3.0x than from 2.0x. In the past, upgrade prices have generally
reflected the difference in retail price. Thus I would expect 2.03
users to pay the 3.0 price + the upgrade fee (or maybe a little
less).

> 3) Is it OK if I fax my upgrade order, instead of mailing? Or is it even
> possible to email my order? (That would be the most convenient way! But of
> course if you need necessarily my signature that is out of question...)

I believe the upgrade requires the return of the original disks as
proof of purchase. It's a little hard to get disks through a fax
machine (although I'm sure some will try :-)

> 4) Does it support HAM or even Dynamic HiRes pictures? Because the latter
> format enables as realistic digitized pictures as Amiga can handle without
> additional hardware, I really hope you ad this support if it is still
>  missing. It would be extremely useful for realistic photography databases!
> (And it should be possible, because there are already utilities, which can
> show Dynamic HiRes pictures on screen and also multitask nicely with other
> programs, e.g. Shazam from Fred Fish Disk 449.)

In theory, (i.e. it says so in the spec), although it is currently
broken. I know it's a fine distinction (and quite academic) but in
there and broken is different to not in there (As far as we are
concerned, it converts it from adding new functionality to fixing a
bug, which gives it a better chance of getting through internal
politics!)

> 5) Is it possible to have multiple fonts (also proportional ones!) and
> individual text formatting within a text field (e.g. some words of a text
> string plain, others italics, etc.)?

No. Fields may be any font or style, but they are constrained to that
single font/style combination. There's nothing to stop you putting
tag codes in there and interpreting those tags later (we had a client
did just this in Windows, and produced as a result a regular monthly
commercial satellite TV guide from SB data files).

((This means that SBase is still unsuitable for bibliographic database, at least
for scientific use, where you need some typographical info to show latin words,
genes, isotopes etc. :-( ))

> 6) Is there PostScript support? (If there is not, please ad it soon!
> Compugraphic Outline font support would be also nice:-)

1st part, no. 2nd part: we will support any font technology that is
supported by the OS. I don't believe that the Intellifont/Bullet
technology used by Gold disk has a long future (speculation). Beyond
this I am not prepared to say :-)

> 6) Is there any way to create by default an icon for a database, so that you
> don't have first to load Superbase to open certain database?

Icons can be added to files with the following extensions: SBF (data
files), SBV (form files) SBP (program files). Make sure the icon is
of type "Project" and that its default tool is SBpro4. Creating such
icons is easy under 2.0, but just a little harder under 1.3.

> 7) Does it fully support overscan (also under Amigados 1.3)? (At least the
> forms editor of 3.0 did not use the horizontal overscan area).

Yes. However it will only use the overscan area that has been set in
Preferences.

> 8) Is the new file requester (which was mentioned in the brochures) fully
> Amiga-style and interactive? (The separate path selection of 3.0 was
> extremely impractical and MSDOSish!).

It's brilliant! (I wrote it :-)) Basically it splits into 2 lists;
files in one and directories/volumes/assigns in the other. It is
fully asynchronous, i.e. you don't have to wait for it to finish
reading the directory before selecting / changing (although that's
only really a problem if you're restricted to floppies).

..

Tim.

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu (05/26/91)

In article <1991May25.102224.1@cc.helsinki.fi>, ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>> 3) Is it OK if I fax my upgrade order, instead of mailing? Or is it even
>> possible to email my order? (That would be the most convenient way! But of
>> course if you need necessarily my signature that is out of question...)
>
> I believe the upgrade requires the return of the original disks as
> proof of purchase. It's a little hard to get disks through a fax
> machine (although I'm sure some will try :-)

When they sent my upgrade offer (I am a registered owner of Superbase
3 previously), I did not send in my disks, and my new superbase pro v4.
arrived just fine.  So unless I missed something, I don't think you
have to send in the old stuff?

One thing that did bug me, is that the number of printer drivers that came with
the package is limited to 3 (PREFS, LaserjetIII and epson.)  I happen to
have a paintjet which could do more fonts, but I can't figure out how
to tell superbase which fonts to use - anyone who has ideas let me know.
Prefs does ok, but is limiting.

And to: calgary!ajfcal!phd!phil (H Phil Duby)
[the person who emailed me about setting up a superbase user group
list] - sure - I'm interested but I can't seem to respond to your address !
Do you have a bitnet address instead? (Our system doesn't respond to all
the ! in your address. - It might just be because of the remote link or
something. Thanks ! Pam

Pam Woods                              Email:  Internet: axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu
University Of Alaska Anchorage                 Bitnet:   axpmw@alaska
Quote:  Look before you Leap - Sam Beckett

paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May25.102224.1@cc.helsinki.fi> ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>> 3) Is it OK if I fax my upgrade order, instead of mailing? Or is it even
>> possible to email my order? (That would be the most convenient way! But of
>> course if you need necessarily my signature that is out of question...)
>
>I believe the upgrade requires the return of the original disks as
>proof of purchase. It's a little hard to get disks through a fax
>machine (although I'm sure some will try :-)

The upgrade requires filling out a form mailed by Precision back in
early March to all registered users. The form specifically states that
FAX orders and phone orders are not accepted. You *cannot* upgrade
unless you are the original registered owner of the package. The upgrade
does *not* require returning any disks. As a matter of fact, Precision
has suggested that your V3 disks be sold for $50 (REF: Compuserve
posting from Precision employee)! I actually sold mine for $100.
Precision also specifically stated that such transfers of previous
versions negate and upgrade to the software for the new owner.

I am still awaiting my upgrade. A call to Precision a couple weeks ago
indicated that they are backordered for several weeks.

--

73, Paul
 From the shack of Paul MacDonald!    Packet Radio: WA1OMM@KB4N.NH.USA

tarnot@psldev.UUCP (Timothy W. Arnot) (05/28/91)

>In article <1991May26.024619.1@acad2.alaska.edu> axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
>In article <1991May25.102224.1@cc.helsinki.fi>, ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>
>>> 3) Is it OK if I fax my upgrade order, instead of mailing? Or is it even
>>> possible to email my order? (That would be the most convenient way! But of
>>> course if you need necessarily my signature that is out of question...)
>>
>> I believe the upgrade requires the return of the original disks as
>> proof of purchase. It's a little hard to get disks through a fax
>> machine (although I'm sure some will try :-)
>
>When they sent my upgrade offer (I am a registered owner of Superbase
>3 previously), I did not send in my disks, and my new superbase pro v4.
>arrived just fine.  So unless I missed something, I don't think you
>have to send in the old stuff?

That depends on which office you get the upgrade through. In the UK, it is a
normal procedure to request either the disks or manual cover as proof.
However I suppose that the "hassle factor" would come into it sometimes,
especially on overseas orders. i.e. there comes a point where it's not worth
the hassle of insisting on these things. Especially if you are a registered
user.

As regards the US and German sales offices, you'd have to ask them separately;
(Alaska would come under the juristiction of the Dallas office <grin>) your
mileage may vary on requirements.

>One thing that did bug me, is that the number of printer drivers that came with
>the package is limited to 3 (PREFS, LaserjetIII and epson.)  I happen to
>have a paintjet which could do more fonts, but I can't figure out how
>to tell superbase which fonts to use - anyone who has ideas let me know.
>Prefs does ok, but is limiting.

There's a limit to the number of printers that will fit on my desk :-)
I think they were intended more as ideas/samples rather than a full and
difinitive set of drivers. I know the LJIII will certainly produce zillions
more fonts than those listed.

Anyway, here's how to create your own:

1. Copy SB_laserjetIII.ini to SB_PaintJet.ini (in S:)
2. Modify the sections headed "Font=<fontname>" to specify the font name &
size you require (this is arbitary, since it only appears in the dialog),
then modify the following lines according to your printer manual. The codes
should be fairly obvious - select font, select bold etc.
3. The first line of the file (Fontname=) should describe a font for which
there is a Font= section.
4. You may add (or delete) font sections as you wish.

When done, use the "Set/Printer Setup" menu or DML SET PRINTER command to
select the printer driver and fonts.

>Pam Woods                              Email:  Internet: axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu
>University Of Alaska Anchorage                 Bitnet:   axpmw@alaska
>Quote:  Look before you Leap - Sam Beckett

--
Cheers, Tim
Timothy W. Arnot                cbmehq!cbmuk!cbmuka!psldev!tarnot

tarnot@psldev.UUCP (Timothy W. Arnot) (05/28/91)

>In article <paul.5890@wa1omm.UUCP> paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) writes:
>
>The upgrade requires filling out a form mailed by Precision back in
>early March to all registered users. The form specifically states that
>FAX orders and phone orders are not accepted. You *cannot* upgrade
>unless you are the original registered owner of the package. The upgrade
>does *not* require returning any disks. As a matter of fact, Precision
>has suggested that your V3 disks be sold for $50 (REF: Compuserve
>posting from Precision employee)! I actually sold mine for $100.
>Precision also specifically stated that such transfers of previous
>versions negate and upgrade to the software for the new owner.

Ok fine, Since each office is responsible for its territory, and able to
make its own policies. (My original comment related to the UK + everywhere
outside North America and Germany). As regards the resale price of your
old product, get as much as you can for it IMHO :-)

>I am still awaiting my upgrade. A call to Precision a couple weeks ago
>indicated that they are backordered for several weeks.

I guess they're just kinda busy :-)

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (05/28/91)

In article <paul.5890@wa1omm.UUCP>, paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) writes:

> The upgrade requires filling out a form mailed by Precision back in
> early March to all registered users. The form specifically states that
> FAX orders and phone orders are not accepted. You *cannot* upgrade
> unless you are the original registered owner of the package. The upgrade
> does *not* require returning any disks. As a matter of fact, Precision
> has suggested that your V3 disks be sold for $50 (REF: Compuserve
> posting from Precision employee)! I actually sold mine for $100.
> Precision also specifically stated that such transfers of previous
> versions negate and upgrade to the software for the new owner.

It seems that the upgrade offer and form sent from Precision Software ENGLAND
(to European people) is different from the one you got (from PS USA?). In the
form I got it is said that you *should* send SBPRO program disk with the form
(and there is nothing specifically said about fax/mail orders:-). I just forgot
that when I sent those questions to Tim...;-).

>  From the shack of Paul MacDonald!    Packet Radio: WA1OMM@KB4N.NH.USA
>  /   / /\   /  /~~/ /\/\  /\/\     /\ / /\ (~  / / / / /\     /\ / / /
>  \/\/ /~~\ /  /__/ /   / /   /  ~ /  V /~~\ ) /~/ /_/ /~~\,  /  V /~/
>  Internet: ubbs-nh!wa1omm!paul    CIS: 70411,626     PLink: UPPERCRUST

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

tarnot@psldev.UUCP (Timothy W. Arnot) (05/28/91)

>In article <1991May27.214744.4123@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991May26.024619.1@acad2.alaska.edu> axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
>>
>>One thing that did bug me, is that the number of printer drivers that came with
>>the package is limited to 3 (PREFS, LaserjetIII and epson.)  I happen to
>>have a paintjet which could do more fonts, but I can't figure out how
>>to tell superbase which fonts to use - anyone who has ideas let me know.
>>Prefs does ok, but is limiting.
>>
>  One noticable lack in Amiga software is the font support.

Damn right! It ain't perfect, but look at Windows 3 for _really good_ font
support. If I specify a font, CG_Times on a form (I have Intellifont for
Windows installed) in Superbase, Windows provides a good (if slow) rendering
on-screen, and invokes the CG_times font on my Laserjet III when I print it.
Fast. There font support is at the OS, not the application level.

It really pi$^(s me off that printing a document in ProPage in a CG font
that is _built in_ to the _hardware_ of my printer should take so long
because (a) the Amiga printer.device is incapable of mixing text and
graphics on a page, and (b) PPage therefore has to print all the text as a
bitmap. For the same page in the same font: ProPage = 12 minutes, Protext
(my wordprocessor that has LaserjetIII support coded) = 15 seconds.

Sorry, but it's a hobby horse with me (Send flames to .advocacy, or email)

>It is amazing that many of our word processors have terrible font
>support (read all). Here is why I think this is true: They are
>all waiting for CBM to come up with an approved way to do
>CompuGraphic fonts. Everyone knows CBM is doing it. The question
>is really when, and how extensive the support will be.

Well, Wordprocessors (in the UK anyway) fall into 2 categories; those that
use the Amiga's bitmap fonts (Prowrite etc), and those that use the printers
fonts (Protext, Wordperfect etc). The former look good on screen, and print
lousy, the latter print well (but only after _much_ effort on the part of
the user in terms of configuring the drivers to the printer) and look
"MS-DOSish" on screen (not that that is bad per se).

I do not think that "Compugraphic font support" is the panacea that people
imagine, at least as far as printing is concerned. Ok, you could render the
font at 300 dpi into a _huge_ RastPort (an A4 page would be somewhere around
1MB), and then wait 12 minutes for it to print. That would not be an
acceptable option in a business environment, which is where SBpro4 is aimed.

>  i.e. it is easy to create a display font, but then to be
>able to PRINT at full 300dpi without losing quality, that'll be
>the feat. Why should these software companies go nuts doing
>something which will eventually be done for them, and have them
>do it in a non-standard way?
>  The only question is, how long will this take and how
>much will bad Word Proc. programs and printouts have hurt the
>market.

You'd be amazed how critical business people are of the quality and speed of
printed output. In the beta test period for SB4Windows, we literally had bug
reports saying "SB takes 25 seconds to print this form, but Designer only
takes 20". At the end of the day, businessmen look at sheets of paper, and
that's the _only_ thing that counts.

For real improvements in printer quality, I think we need to see more
intelligence in the printer drivers and a _far_ greater knowledge of the
hardware involved (including transparent HPPCL & postscript support, printer
fonts etc.). Dream on. <sigh!>