[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Compugraphic fonts

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (05/25/91)

Does anyone know of a good source for PD compugraphic fonts?

And on a related note, is there a PD program out there that will convert
post script fonts to compugraphic fonts?

I want these for my PageStream playing, and since 2.0 will have compugraphic
fonts too, it will be REAL useful then too!

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

markg@amix.commodore.com (Mark Gardner) (05/28/91)

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:

> Does anyone know of a good source for PD compugraphic fonts?
>
> And on a related note, is there a PD program out there that will convert
> post script fonts to compugraphic fonts?
>

> I want these for my PageStream playing, and since 2.0 will have compugraphic
> fonts too, it will be REAL useful then too!

FYI, PageStream 2 (I have version 2.1) supports Compugraphic, its own
font format, AND PostScript Type 1 fonts.  No need to convert, just
follow PageStream 2's directions and use the Font Manager to add them to
its font list.

Mind you, I too would like to know of sources for PD Compugraphic,
PageStream, and PostScript Type 1 fonts.  Anyone?

> Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

-MG "Some wag's probably going to ask now if there's any way to convert
TrueType fonts to Compugraphic...."

----------
Mark Gardner

UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!markg
Internet: undrground!markg@amix.commodore.com

harris@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) (05/29/91)

Would someone please describe what "compugraphic" fonts are?  I understand
how postscript works.  Previous posts lead me to believe that compugraphic
fonts are some type of postscript font.  Is this correct?

      Michael Harris - harris@catt.ncsu.edu or harris@carvm3.vnet.ibm.com
   Computer and Technologies Theme Program,  North Carolina State University

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.174145.13869@ncsu.edu> harris@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) writes:
>Would someone please describe what "compugraphic" fonts are?  I understand
>how postscript works.  Previous posts lead me to believe that compugraphic
>fonts are some type of postscript font.  Is this correct?

 'Compugraphic' fonts are formally known as AGFA CompuGraphic fonts. They,
unlike PostScript fonts, are designed to print out on a bitmap (dot matrix)
printer. Normally, if you take an Amiga font and resize it they look
horrible. CompuGraphic fonts normally come in sizes from 4-144 points and
look almost as good as a PostScript printer's fonts. It is basically an
inexpensive way to get multiple size fonts of a very high quality on a
dot matrix printer. There are comparable fonts from AGFA Compugraphic to
match the PostScript fonts. i.e. (CG) Times is the same as Times on a
PostScript printer.

>      Michael Harris - harris@catt.ncsu.edu or harris@carvm3.vnet.ibm.com
>   Computer and Technologies Theme Program,  North Carolina State University
>
>           ========================================================

| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |
|------------------------------------+-------------------------------|
|      Motorcycle: Honda PC800       |      Computer:Amiga 2000      |

amigo@clinet.fi (Olli Vinberg) (05/30/91)

harris@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) writes:

>Would someone please describe what "compugraphic" fonts are?  I understand
>how postscript works.  Previous posts lead me to believe that compugraphic
>fonts are some type of postscript font.  Is this correct?

Agfa makes compugraphic fonts, or at least the compugraphic-system was
developed by Agfa. The outline of Compugraphic fonts is defined with
bezier-curves (not sure about the spelling) So, compugraphic fonts are
scalable just as are Postscript fonts. I'm not aware of any major differences
between the two, other than the format.

----- 	Olli Vinberg   ------------   Internet: amigo@clinet.fi   -----

markg@amix.commodore.com (Mark Gardner) (05/30/91)

harris@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) writes:

> Would someone please describe what "compugraphic" fonts are?  I understand
> how postscript works.  Previous posts lead me to believe that compugraphic
> fonts are some type of postscript font.  Is this correct?

The full name would be AGFA Compugraphic Intellifonts.  They're
outline-based fonts, like PostScript.  But they AREN'T PostScript fonts.
Those are completely different beasts.

>       Michael Harris - harris@catt.ncsu.edu or harris@carvm3.vnet.ibm.com
>    Computer and Technologies Theme Program,  North Carolina State University
>
>            ========================================================

 -MG

Mark Gardner

UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!markg
Internet: undrground!markg@amix.commodore.com

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (05/31/91)

Sorry, I mis-stated myself.  I am running PageStream 2.1.  The 2.0 I referred
to was WorkBench 2.0.  Word is that it will support Compugraphic fonts.  I
was wondering if there was a PD source for Compugraphic fonts and/or a
converter for ASCII post script or Adobe to Compugraphic format.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)