[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Error in DMS !

OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET (Cem TURGAY) (06/05/91)

Hello,

I have a DMS version 1.02. Last week, I got some .dms files from
ab20.larc.nasa.gov (like Budbrain demo) and I unmashed it very well.
They work fine. (I recomend especially Budbrain)

Yesterday, I requested some others from same site. But I can't
unmash them ! (with DMS WRITE RAM:.....dms)
DMS gives an error: Info header not found. Invalid DMS archive.
                    Fatal error !
But, but their TEST and VIEW don't give any error. Test and view say
this is a DMS archive, info header at d659 and archive is OK !
But WRITE option doesn't think like TEST and VIEW !
(Names of these archs Genesis, budvscrio, crusaders.eurochart.91)

Another point, the expanded size of each archive file more than 880K !
(compressed size over 600 K.)
But VIEW says lo-track:0, hi-track:79 ! Can DMS expand it into one
floppy ? Are there more than 11 sectors ?
(notice, dms.doc says DMS doesn't process with HD.)

Any information will be helpfull. Thanks

Cem

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (06/05/91)

OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET (Cem TURGAY) writes:

>Hello,

>I have a DMS version 1.02. Last week, I got some .dms files from
>ab20.larc.nasa.gov (like Budbrain demo) and I unmashed it very well.
>They work fine. (I recomend especially Budbrain)

>Yesterday, I requested some others from same site. But I can't
>unmash them ! (with DMS WRITE RAM:.....dms)
>DMS gives an error: Info header not found. Invalid DMS archive.
>                    Fatal error !
>But, but their TEST and VIEW don't give any error. Test and view say
>this is a DMS archive, info header at d659 and archive is OK !
>But WRITE option doesn't think like TEST and VIEW !
>(Names of these archs Genesis, budvscrio, crusaders.eurochart.91)

I got bdvscrio and genesis working without the above problems.  I'm using the
inituitionized DMS version 1.03 for the above.  If it doesn't work, try 1.01 or
1.03 Cli-version.  Try 'em all.

>Another point, the expanded size of each archive file more than 880K !

Yes.  dms can process non-amigados formate disks too.  Old file system limit
you 830K per disk while newer FastFileSystem gives you 880K storage.  Hecker
demos and utilities usually are in their own NOS format; unreadable by AmigaDos
but archivable.

--
                                                                    [unify]
   *     All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.   +