[comp.sys.amiga.applications] HD backup utilities?

tep@tots.Logicon.COM (Tom Perrine) (05/14/91)

Well, now I went and did it! I just bought a drive that will be nearly
impossible to back-up :-)

Two weeks ago I finally joined the ranks of HD owners; I bought a GVP
series II with the 105MB Quantum for my A500.

To minimize backup problems, I have three partitions, a mostly
read-only boot partition (WB 1.3.3), a general use read/write
partition (misc data) and an "installed software" read-only partition.
I also put UUCP/News/Mail in the "read-only" partition, just because I
never want to back up the News/Mail transient data.

But I still want to back this up on a regular basis!

I just got off the phone with Robert at GVP, who had absolutely all
the answers for *all* of the questions I had about my new GVP! GVP
support is not as good as WordPerfect, but they ahve the right idea.

Anyway, I am looking at two backup options: TapeStore? which GVP uses
to back up their systems to a WangTek 5150 SCSI QIC-150 tape drive,
and *something* to back up to floppies.

(We have several of the WangTek QIC-150 SCSI streamer tapes at work,
and I have been thinking about taking one home every other weekend (or
month) to do backups.)

At this point I am looking for a vendor contact for TapeStore
(TapeStor?) and recomendations for something to backup to floppies.

I have heard the names MRbackup and QuarterBack (and QuarterBack
Tools).

Does anyone have TapeStore, or recommendations for/against MRbackup
and QuarterBack?

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon - T&TSD                         | UUCP: sun!suntan!tots!tep
P.O. Box 85158                          |GENIE: T.PERRINE
San Diego CA 92138                      |Voice: +1 619 455 1330
"Harried: with preschoolers"            |  FAX: +1 619 552 0729

Ed_Meyer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ed Meyer) (05/14/91)

> tep@tots.Logicon.COM writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <258@tots.UUCP>
>
> Org.  : Logicon, Inc., San Diego, California
> Person: Tom Perrine
>

> Well, now I went and did it! I just bought a drive that will be nearly
> impossible to back-up :-)
>
> Two weeks ago I finally joined the ranks of HD owners; I bought a GVP
> series II with the 105MB Quantum for my A500.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> But I still want to back this up on a regular basis!
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Anyway, I am looking at two backup options: TapeStore? which GVP uses
> to back up their systems to a WangTek 5150 SCSI QIC-150 tape drive,
> and *something* to back up to floppies.
>
> (We have several of the WangTek QIC-150 SCSI streamer tapes at work,
> [ ... ]
>
> At this point I am looking for a vendor contact for TapeStore
> (TapeStor?) and recomendations for something to backup to floppies.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
> Logicon - T&TSD                         | UUCP: sun!suntan!tots!tep
> P.O. Box 85158                          |GENIE: T.PERRINE
> San Diego CA 92138                      |Voice: +1 619 455 1330
> "Harried: with preschoolers"            |  FAX: +1 619 552 0729

Tom, although certainly not a tape-store system, had you thought of something
like a removable media hard-disk: something like a SyQuest (44 ... 55 MB) per
removable platter not only delivers a fast backup mechanism, but also allows
the use of an additional hard-disk if and when necessary.  For storing files
(verbatim) and/or storing running animations, etc., it's a nice facility that
doubles as a disk backup system as well.

Just an idea,
        Ed Meyer

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) (05/14/91)

In article <258@tots.UUCP> tep@tots.Logicon.COM (Tom Perrine) writes:

>Does anyone have TapeStore, or recommendations for/against MRbackup
>and QuarterBack?

     I use Quarterback and am happy with it - at least as happy as
one can be while stuffing 39 floppy disks into the machine to make
a backup.  :-)  QB is reasonably fast, and if you have two floppy
drives available it can alternate between the two for truly non-stop
copying.  Easy-to-follow directions tell you exactly when to change
disks; on a two-floppy system you can swap disks in one drive while
the other one is copying, and QB is aware of what you're doing.

     You can back up or restore any combination of files or
directories; you select them with a versatile file requester that
tells you how many disks you'll need.  I've had occasion to restore
my backups several times and everything works just fine.

     Although QB uses its own format on the disks (for more efficient
use of space), it's compatible with any hard drive.  In fact, I moved
everything from my A1000's 10MB drive to my 2500's 40MB drive by
simply backing up on the 1000 and restoring on the 2500.  No sweat.

     But all those floppies are a drag.  I'd hate to think of what
it would be like with a larger drive.  I want tape too.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

Ernie_Gorrie@mindlink.bc.ca (Ernie Gorrie) (05/16/91)

> Ed_Meyer@mindlink.bc.ca writes:
>
> Tom, although certainly not a tape-store system, had you thought of something
> like a removable media hard-disk: something like a SyQuest (44 ... 55 MB) per
> removable platter not only delivers a fast backup mechanism, but also allows
> the use of an additional hard-disk if and when necessary.  For storing files
> (verbatim) and/or storing running animations, etc., it's a nice facility that
> doubles as a disk backup system as well.
>
> Just an idea,
>         Ed Meyer

        This is what I use with a GVP Series II and MRBackup for my backup
software.  My hard drive is a Quantum 80.  It works like a charm.  I use 16 bit
compression and have lots of room backing up the Quantum onto a SyQuest.  If
you chose to use less intensive compression, you could use multiple SyQuest
cartridges for your backup disks.  MRBackup will request disks when it needs
them.  An additional advantage is that you can use a SyQuest disk as a
dedicated AMAX-II hard drive.  On those occasions when you are going to use
AMAX-II, insert the AMAX formatted SyQuest disk and you have a >40 meg Mac hard
drive.  Formatting another SyQuest disk for MSDOS gives you a Bridgeboard
pseudo hard drive disk of more than 40 meegs.  Seemed like a deal to me before
I did it.  Seems even better now.
--
No Fancy Signature Here Just: Ernie_Gorrie@mindlink.UUCP
(Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)

umueller@iiic.ethz.ch (Urban Dominik Mueller) (05/16/91)

In article <258@tots.UUCP> tep@tots.Logicon.COM (Tom Perrine) writes:
>Does anyone have TapeStore, or recommendations for/against MRbackup
>and QuarterBack?

Especially for larger hard disks, the best solution I know is a Syquest
removable hard disk in conjunction with the FlashBack backup software.
Quarterback is reliable, but very slow (30K/Sec). When doing image
backups (the partition is copied trackwise, not filewise), I reach a
speed of 300K/sec using FlashBack. The file backup is faster, too.
There's only one weak point about FlashBack: If it encounters a faulty
media during the backup, it gives up.

For those interested: FlashBack is from Advanced Storage Systems,
14540 East Beltwood Parkway, Dallas, Texas 75244  U.S.A.

 -Dominik

mounier@cs.ucf.edu (Michael Mounier) (05/21/91)

In article <258@tots.UUCP> tep@tots.Logicon.COM (Tom Perrine) writes:
>Does anyone have TapeStore, or recommendations for/against MRbackup
>and QuarterBack?

There is also a new backup program out called Ami-Back that will backup to
tape, Syquest carts, etc.  It is about 50% faster then TapeStore when backing
up to tape.

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (05/22/91)

     For those of you that have WB 2.0.3 Commodore finally made good on its
promise to give us a HD Backup front-end for BRU.  I haven't seen it yet, but
BRU did a nice job on its own.

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "Sir, I Protest! |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |  I   am   NOT  a |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |  Merry Man!"     |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |         -Worf    |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |          ST:TNG  |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

Dickson@system-m.az05.bull.com (Paul Dickson) (05/23/91)

Isn't Ami-Back for KS/WB 2.0 only.  At least that's what attracted by
attention in the ad in .Info

mounier@cs.ucf.edu (Michael Mounier) (05/31/91)

In article <54416@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Dickson@system-m.az05.bull.com (Paul Dickson) writes:
>Isn't Ami-Back for KS/WB 2.0 only.  At least that's what attracted by
>attention in the ad in .Info

The current version of Ami-Back is KS/WB 1.3 or 2.0.

Dickson@system-m.az05.bull.com (Paul Dickson) (06/06/91)

Michael Mounier <mounier@cs.ucf.edu> writes:
>In article <54416@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Dickson@system-m.az05.bull.com (Paul Dickson) writes:
>>Isn't Ami-Back for KS/WB 2.0 only.  At least that's what attracted by
>>attention in the ad in .Info
>
>The current version of Ami-Back is KS/WB 1.3 or 2.0.

Several days after I sent this I logged onto BIX and saw that Ami-Back
for 1.3 was release just last month.  So with the lead time for magazine
ads, everyone was right.