[comp.sys.amiga.applications] NROFF vs TeX

jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (06/06/91)

Can anyone comment on the the comparative utility of Tex
vx NROFF? I have used NROFF quite a bit and gotten
accustomed to its ways. I have taken a look at TeX and
realize that this would take another investment in time.
However NROFF does not exist for the AMIGA and TeX seems
to suit everyones typesetting needs. From one local guru
I hear TeX is particularly well suited for Mathematical
typesetting but NROFF is superior for most other applications.

What sayeth the NET?

Joanne jea@cvs.rochester.edu

bojsen@moria.uucp (Per Bojsen) (06/08/91)

In article <14381@ur-cc.UUCP>, Joanne Albano writes:

> Can anyone comment on the the comparative utility of Tex
> vx NROFF? I have used NROFF quite a bit and gotten
> accustomed to its ways. I have taken a look at TeX and
> realize that this would take another investment in time.
> However NROFF does not exist for the AMIGA and TeX seems
> to suit everyones typesetting needs. From one local guru
> I hear TeX is particularly well suited for Mathematical
> typesetting but NROFF is superior for most other applications.

While I haven't used nroff/troff much, I'm a fairly experienced TeX user,
so I'll try to answer your question.

Nroff/troff seems to be based on a lineprinter/typewriter model, which is
evident from the various ``go down a line'', ``go up a aline'', ``go down
a half line'', etc., commands.  TeX on the other hand is designed from the
beginning as a typesetting language/program.  This implies among other things
that you have a much finer control of positioning things on the page.  TeX
(like nroff/troff) is *not* a desktop publishing program or a WYSIWIG
textprocessor.

TeX is really a (Turing complete) programming language targeted to typesetting.
Among the more prominent features is its superior support for mathematical
typesetting.  I haven't seen any other wordprocessor/markup language with
equivalent or better quality in formula typesetting.

As for learning TeX, I suggest that you take a look at LaTeX.  LaTeX is a
macropackage for TeX which provides a nice, easy to use interface to TeX.
LaTeX is much easier to learn than plain TeX, and for most purposes (article,
report, and/or letter writing, for example) will suit your needs.

There are several implementations of TeX available for the Amiga.  At least
two PD, and one commercial.  The commercial package is Tomas Rokicki's
AmigaTeX, which comes with the LaTeX macro package, and a very nice previewer.
The previewer and the TeX program uses the Amiga's multitasking and inter-
process communication facilities to allow previewing the document while it's
still being TeX'ed.

As TeX is a typesetter program it works best with high quality output devices
like laser printers, and photosetters.  If you don't have access to a laser
printer nroff (if it were available for the Amiga) may be a better solution
for many purposes not involving heavy mathematics.  On the other hand, if
you do have access to a laser printer I would venture to say that TeX is
superior in most respects to nroff/troff.

--
|  Greetings from Per Bojsen.                                                  |