[comp.sys.amiga.applications] !

Jon_Wolf@amicol.UUCP (Jon Wolf) (06/06/91)

When sending mail from a Unix box, you have to quote the ! character.
so, calgary!ajfcal!phd!phil
would end up being typed as calgary\!ajfcal\!phd\!phil.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

     ___               _     __  _
    (   )             ' )   /   //  /)
     __/________       / / / __|/  //
    / /  (_) /) )_    (_(_/ (_) \_//_
   (_/                           />
                                </

In article <Jon_Wolf.3272@amicol.UUCP> Jon_Wolf@amicol.UUCP (Jon Wolf) writes:
>When sending mail from a Unix box, you have to quote the ! character.
>so, calgary!ajfcal!phd!phil
>would end up being typed as calgary\!ajfcal\!phd\!phil.

No, not with every UNIX. It is dependant on the shell you use on this
UNIX. As far as I remember it was only one shell which needed this
backslash stupidity, but don't ask me for the name, don't remember it.

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/08/91)

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>No, not with every UNIX. It is dependant on the shell you use on this
>UNIX. As far as I remember it was only one shell which needed this
>backslash stupidity, but don't ask me for the name, don't remember it.

Well, both csh and tcsh require it on this Sun 4.0.1.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun7.190109.7237@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>
>>No, not with every UNIX. It is dependant on the shell you use on this
>>UNIX. As far as I remember it was only one shell which needed this
>>backslash stupidity, but don't ask me for the name, don't remember it.
>
>Well, both csh and tcsh require it on this Sun 4.0.1.

Csh requires it on every box I've ever tried it on.  And dont forget bash
(if you set histchars or have it set for you).

--
Tony Sumrall acs@pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pcc.amdahl.com!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

aden@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (06/12/91)

In article <1316@cbmger.UUCP>, peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
> In article <Jon_Wolf.3272@amicol.UUCP> Jon_Wolf@amicol.UUCP (Jon Wolf) writes:
>>When sending mail from a Unix box, you have to quote the ! character.
>>so, calgary!ajfcal!phd!phil
>>would end up being typed as calgary\!ajfcal\!phd\!phil.
>
> No, not with every UNIX. It is dependant on the shell you use on this
> UNIX. As far as I remember it was only one shell which needed this
> backslash stupidity, but don't ask me for the name, don't remember it.

C-shell needs it, Bourne doesn't.  I don't know about Korn... And of course,
as with most everything, there is a need for the "\".  I'd say "stupidity" is a
bit harsh.

Why was this posted here? (Not a flame, just a question)

--
S. Spenser Aden  --  Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Co. --  (713) 483-2028
NASA -- Johnson Space Center, Houston -- Flight Data and Evaluation Office