[comp.sys.amiga.applications] AB20????????????

jy1@ra.MsState.Edu (Yo Man) (06/02/91)

I have seen so many hackers mention about ab20.larc.nasa.gov. I telnet to it
and it asked for user id and password which I dont have. From the articles
posted in USENET, it seems anybody can login to it. So I got a problem here,
right? Please help. Do I really need a password or is there any other way
to login to it?

JS

tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) (06/02/91)

jy1@ra.MsState.Edu (Yo Man) writes:

>I have seen so many hackers mention about ab20.larc.nasa.gov. I telnet to it
>and it asked for user id and password which I dont have. From the articles
>posted in USENET, it seems anybody can login to it. So I got a problem here,
>right? Please help. Do I really need a password or is there any other way
>to login to it?

  AB20 is not a telnet site, it's an FTP site (well, actually it is a telnet
site, but not an open one)  Do you know how to FTP, or do you know if
you CAN?  I would imagine if you can telnet, you can FTP.  Type
"ftp ab20.larc.nasa.gov".  This will connect you to ab20.  At the
login prompt type "anonymous".  At the password prompt type your
actual name@host (ie mine being tony@irie.ais.org).  You will then
be able to view and transfer the files on ab20.  Type "help"
for a list of commands, and "help <command>" for individual
command breakdown.
  A couple of basics:  To recieve a file you type "recv <filename>".
To get a directory listing, the command is the same as Amiga "dir", as
is the same for the change directory command "cd".  Before you "recv"
a file however, you must type "type image" to set the remote computer
to binary mode, for file transfer.

Please remember this - attempt to confine your ftp times to non business
hours at the *remote* site, remembering that a lot of remote site times
are not the same as your local times.  This will insure that we will
continue to have the *priviledge* of ftp'ing.

Tony Poole           Traverse City, MI USA           EMail:tony@irie.ais.org

cazabon@hercules (Charles Cazabon (186-003-526)) (06/02/91)

In article <819@ra.MsState.Edu> jy1@ra.MsState.Edu (Yo Man) writes:
:
:
:I have seen so many hackers mention about ab20.larc.nasa.gov. I telnet to it
:and it asked for user id and password which I dont have. From the articles
:posted in USENET, it seems anybody can login to it. So I got a problem here,
:right? Please help. Do I really need a password or is there any other way
:to login to it?
:
You don't telnet to it.  You FTP to it.  At your command prompt, just
enter:
ftp ab20.larc.nasa.gov
when it asks you for name, type anonymous.  It will say
"Anonymous user OK, type ident as password" or some such thing.  To this,
respond with jy1@ra.MsState.Edu or whatever.  Once logged in, you have
a few commands to get you around, like cd, cdup, ls, dir, type, get, put, and
a few others.  Read the manual entry for ftp first.

					-Chuck
huck Cazabon, cazabon@hercules.cc.uregina.ca
* My Opinions Are Not My Own...Feel Free To Plagiarize

cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) (06/03/91)

In article <819@ra.MsState.Edu> jy1@ra.MsState.Edu (Yo Man) writes:

>I have seen so many hackers mention about ab20.larc.nasa.gov. I telnet to it
>and it asked for user id and password which I dont have. From the articles
>posted in USENET, it seems anybody can login to it. So I got a problem here,
>right? Please help. Do I really need a password or is there any other way
>to login to it?
>
>JS
Anyone can use it, but you need to FTP there, not Telnet.  Then when it ask
for a user id: type anomymous then when prompted for password type guest

That will get you in as a guest user, which is the way we all get it, or at
least most of us.

Tim

--
  Internet:   Cython@irie.ais.org
  Compuserve: 76217,1372

sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Sie) (06/04/91)

 Tim> In article <819@ra.MsState.Edu> jy1@ra.MsState.Edu (Yo Man) writes:
>

>I have seen so many hackers mention about ab20.larc.nasa.gov. I telnet to it
>and it asked for user id and password which I dont have. From the articles
>posted in USENET, it seems anybody can login to it. So I got a problem here,
>right? Please help. Do I really need a password or is there any other way
>to login to it?
>
>JS
 Tim> Anyone can use it, but you need to FTP there, not Telnet.  Then when it ask
 Tim> for a user id: type anomymous then when prompted for password type guest

Well not quite, I used to get a lot of files from there via mail and
bitnet. But that doesn't work anymore.
Does ab20.larc.nasa.gov have its own mail server ?

Are there any other mail servers other than BITNET which seems to need
you to be authorised to use it.
Very poor,  Very poor indeed, in bad spirit that.

--
Simon J Raybould    (sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk)            //              {o.o}
"Only joking ... Or am I ?" - Vic Reeves            \X/AMIGA           \-/

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) (06/05/91)

Please, continue this thread in comp.sys.amiga.datacomm.

--
Kari Sutela	sutela@polaris.utu.fi

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (06/05/91)

In article <SIE.91Jun4134556@spinach.fulcrum.bt.co.uk>, sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Sie) writes:

> Well not quite, I used to get a lot of files from there via mail and
> bitnet. But that doesn't work anymore.
> Does ab20.larc.nasa.gov have its own mail server ?

No, AB20 does not have a mail server.  You used to be able to get it via BITFTP
@PUCC, but I believe that it has problems for sites across the pond.

> Are there any other mail servers other than BITNET which seems to need
> you to be authorised to use it.

You can get files via mail from MRCserv@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA.  This node is
based in Alberta, Canada and is kept fairly up-to-date with files from AB20.
We don't get all the demos, animations or sound modules (limited disk space),
but overall I don't think we're doing all that badly.  Files are sent uuencoded
(the sources for uuencode/uudecode are also available on the server for VMS,
Unix, and Amiga) and are split into multiple parts if required.

> Simon J Raybould    (sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk)            //              {o.o}

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (06/07/91)

has something "changed" at ab20 recently?  I haven't been able to ftp to it in
at least a month, I'd guess.  I try to connect, and ftp just sort of sits there
without actually connecting, but without rejecting the attempt either.  it
doesn't seem to matter what time I try...

--
  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

Dickson@system-m.az05.bull.com (Paul Dickson) (06/08/91)

> has something "changed" at ab20 recently?  I haven't been able to ftp
> to it in at least a month, I'd guess.  I try to connect, and ftp just
> sort of sits there without actually connecting, but without rejecting
> the attempt either.  it doesn't seem to matter what time I try...

The READ.ME file says the incoming directory is full.

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (06/12/91)

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:
> has something "changed" at ab20 recently?  I haven't been able to
> ftp to it in at least a month, I'd guess.  I try to connect, and ftp
> just sort of sits there without actually connecting, but without
> rejecting the attempt either.  it doesn't seem to matter what time I
> try...

I hate posting this answer, since I get innundated with questions
about the circumstances, but anyway...

Like GNU.AI.MIT.EDU, HAWAII.EDU is currently blocked from access to
LARC.NASA.GOV due to observed cracker activity from that domain.  I
believe the LaRC network security folk are in contact with someone
from HAWAII.EDU looking for a way to resolve this problem, but until
then, HAWAII.EDU users are unable to connect.

	...tad

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (06/13/91)

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:
> has something "changed" at ab20 recently?  I haven't been able to
> ftp to it in at least a month, I'd guess.  I try to connect, and ftp
> just sort of sits there without actually connecting, but without
> rejecting the attempt either.  it doesn't seem to matter what time I
> try...

Yesterday (or so) I said that Hawaii.Edu was blocked from access to
LaRC.NASA.GOV.  That block has now been removed, so persons from
Hawaii.Edu should once again be able to access AB20...

	...tad