[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Post and Mkbmap

dingebre@imp.es.com (David Ingebretsen) (06/14/91)

I have been trying to use these two applications with varying success.
For example, a post script file generated by TeX at my work that prints
without error on a post script printer will not run on Post. Adobe type I
fonts that will load into Post will not work with Mkbmap.

Another example, if I create a post-script file with  Pro-Write that has
underlined text, then use Pro-Script to make a post-script file, this file
prints without error on a LN03R post-script printer but dies in Post.

One last example, I have a file that will load into Post but the Postband
utility won't load it.

What is happening? Has anyone else used these programs with Pro-Write, or
TeX? Has anyone been able to use Adobe type I fonts with Mkbmap?

I have Post v1.5.

David

David Ingebretsen
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corporation
600 Komas Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
(801) 582-5847 x3758

dingebre@es.com

gutierre@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Gutierrez) (06/14/91)

dingebre@imp.es.com (David Ingebretsen) writes:
> I have been trying to use these two applications with varying success.
> For example, a post script file generated by TeX at my work that prints
> without error on a post script printer will not run on Post. Adobe type I
> fonts that will load into Post will not work with Mkbmap.

I used the standard Adobe Type 1's from the IBM Adobe Type Manager, and they
worked fine.  Strange that the docs mention the use of Type 1 in _ascii_
format, but the Type 1's in ATM were binary as far as ed was concerned.

I created a few dozen fonts with mkbmap, and they all seem fine!

First, you *MUST* use post.library v1.5, NOT v1.3, as it will choke on the
older library version.  my command line is:

	mkbmap -n fonts:testfont/* Helvetica 32

the "-n" is to update the .fonts file (ie: Fixfonts) and the "32" is the
point size.

System: A3000/25, 2.0, 2mb-chip/4mb-fast, 50mb/hd, 2 Syquests.

I've also used the "Shadow Maker" utility to make shadows on the fonts,
and it's worked fine (except their colortext-type wedge is giving me problems
on a piece of titling software, and I don't exactly like 3 bit plane color
fonts also).

	robert