[comp.sys.amiga.applications] SID is crashing randomly

dingebre@imp.es.com (David Ingebretsen) (06/13/91)

I have been using SID for a little while. I haven't registered yet because
randomly, after a screen refresh, SID crashes. Not a nice crash with a GURU
but a devastating crash. The screen goes completely wacko and the system
stops dead. The last straw was last night while transfering files from
my bridgeboard to the Amiga side, SID crashed and my hard disk would not
validate.

The only common factor is it crashes after loading a directory. After the
load, instead of displaying the new directory, Whamo!

Anyone have any ideas? I like SID and would like to continue to use it
but will soon purchase something else if it keeps doing this.

I have the latest version that I know of, 1.06.

My system
A2000HD
A2091 controller
3Meg Ram
A2088 bridgeboard

It seems to be independant of any background tasks that I run and will do
it in any screen that I choose.

David

David Ingebretsen
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corporation
600 Komas Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
(801) 582-5847 x3758

dingebre@es.com

sdl@aries.lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.225939.2651@javelin.sim.es.com> dingebre@imp.es.com (David Ingebretsen) writes:

> I have been using SID for a little while. I haven't registered yet because
> randomly, after a screen refresh, SID crashes....
> The only common factor is it crashes after loading a directory. After the
> load, instead of displaying the new directory, Whamo!

There is a known bug in SID that causes intermittent symptoms like
those you describe.  Namely, whenever the SID.config file has the
SeparateDirs setting set to YES.  If this is the case with yours, try
editing the file to change the setting to NO.

--
Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

AUBRI@ASUACAD.BITNET (06/14/91)

I believe there is parameter in the config file called SEPARATEDIRS or
something similar. Set this to "NO". This will solve your crashing problem,
but will mix your directories in with your file list. This is a known bug
in SID 1.06 and is corrected in the soon-to-be-released SID 2.0.
---
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  Brian C. Berg                       "I haven't lost my mind...   |
|  Arizona State University Amiga Lab    it's backed up on tape     |
|  Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant      somewhere!"              |
|  E-mail: aubri@asuacad.BITNET                                     |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Opinions expressed are not necessarily unlike that of my own...    |

zzatsjh@uts.mcc.ac.uk (J Heaton) (06/14/91)

I have had similar problems with SID 1.06, so much so that I feel unsure
about running it with something important going on as well.  One other
unusual crash has been that the PAL screen suddenly goes NTSC and then
crashes completely.

John.

jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (06/16/91)

I used to have SID 1.06 crash on my every day.  Then I went into
s:Sid.Config and changed SEPARATEDIRS to  euqal NO.  I've not had
SID crash since then.
--
John  M.  Adams   --****--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@cis.ufl.edu            Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

hamilton@intersil.uucp (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun12.225939.2651@javelin.sim.es.com>, dingebre@imp.es.com (David Ingebretsen) writes:
> I have been using SID for a little while. I haven't registered yet because
> randomly, after a screen refresh, SID crashes. Not a nice crash with a GURU
> but a devastating crash. The screen goes completely wacko and the system
> stops dead. The last straw was last night while transfering files from
> my bridgeboard to the Amiga side, SID crashed and my hard disk would not
> validate.

Look in your s:SID.config file and set "SeparateDirs = NO".  There is a bug
that causes SID to crash randomly on some machines if this is set to "YES".
Also, if you are running WB2.0 and/or an A3000, don't click on any of the
"DF0|DF1|DH0" etc. buttons.  Either use the VOL button or enter the directory
name directly at the top of the window.

All of these problems (and all others, as far as I know) are gone in v2.00,
which should be available soon.
--
Fred Hamilton                          "Unlike most of you,
Harris Semiconductor                    I am not a nut..."