[comp.sys.amiga.applications] WP -> Excellence 2.0 converter? WP Replacement suggestions?

aden@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (06/11/91)

I currently have Wordperfect on my A500, primarily for my wife, as she is
writing a book with it, and doing work for classes in it.

After having used it for almost a year and a half, we're about fed up with the
little quirks of the system (i.e. footers don't always come out correctly,
screen update is shabby, etc...).  Therefore, I'm investigating buying a
replacement.

I like the look of Excellence v2.0, but are there other WP packages out there
that can handle large (>50 page) files reliably?  Yes, I realize memory addition
certainly aids in this.

Also, does anyone know of any WP -> Excellence conversion routines?  I'd rather
not just convert straight ASCII files... :-)

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

--
S. Spenser Aden  --  Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Co. --  (713) 483-2028
NASA -- Johnson Space Center, Houston -- Flight Data and Evaluation Office

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (06/14/91)

> I like the look of Excellence v2.0, but are there other WP packages out there
> that can handle large (>50 page) files reliably?  Yes, I realize memory
> addition certainly aids in this.

Just a comment re: excellence!.  I use it on documents several hundred
pages in length, and it works great.  It can handle documents bigger than
memory, as it uses its own internal virtual memory scheme.  (At least
it does in 2.0).  Also has a nice spell checker, thesaurus, etc.  I'm
quite happy with mine.  I've never had it crash either.  The only problem
I've found is that to actually get formatted ASCII out of it, you have
to print to a file and then run the output though a de_ansi program which
removes all the ansi color junk.  I have a simple program I've written
which does this; email me if you want it.

  - steve

beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) (06/19/91)

In article <37030003@hpfcdc.HP.COM>, koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:
:...
: quite happy with mine.  I've never had it crash either.  The only problem
: I've found is that to actually get formatted ASCII out of it, you have
: to print to a file and then run the output though a de_ansi program which
: removes all the ansi color junk.  I have a simple program I've written
: which does this; email me if you want it.

  Just for general info, there's a wonderful Shareware editor called
Textplus (Fish 480) that allows to do this kind of conversion and even
edit Powerpacker compressed text files (usually read with ppmore). It
is a real Wordprocessor and includes a printer configuration a la
Word Perfect (not as sophisticated, though). And many, many more very
pleasant features.

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@taloa.unice.fr                       $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

perley@trub (Donald P Perley) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun10.141048.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov>, aden@vf writes:
>I currently have Wordperfect on my A500, primarily for my wife, as she is
>writing a book with it, and doing work for classes in it.

>I like the look of Excellence v2.0, but are there other WP packages out there
>that can handle large (>50 page) files reliably?  Yes, I realize memory addition
>certainly aids in this.

WordPerfect is a little clumsy with very large documents because it has to
basically scan the whole document prior to a point to figure out what all the
format attributes will be at that point.  You spend some time snoozing if
you like to randomly jump around.  I suspect this will be a problem with
most word processors.  There are some that store format information at the
start of each page, but I don't know any for the amiga off hand.

-don perley

--
perley@trub.crd.ge.com