[comp.sys.amiga.applications] ShowDVI

tna37@isuvax.iastate.edu (06/13/91)

Hello

I am using ShowDVI by Georg Hessmann (I think).  I would like to add fonts to
the existing fonts given with the program.  I have access to TeX for Unix and
am wondering if I could use the fonts with ShowDVI.

Kyle Sterling

Internet: TNA37@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (06/13/91)

tna37@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>the existing fonts given with the program.  I have access to TeX for Unix and
>am wondering if I could use the fonts with ShowDVI.

The .pk fonts should be the same on any system.  You will need to name them
consistent with what ShowDVI is looking for; see the ShowDVI docs.  You will
need them in the right sizes, too.  Our local TeX-on-Unix system didn't have
them small enough for the previewer, so I set to work with metafont and
generated a set  for 100dpi base size, in magstep 0, .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3
and 4.  I have one left to do: 5.  I might also do 83 and 91 sizes.  This is
the complete set of standard CM fonts for TeX, but does not include (yet)
the LaTeX fonts.  I'd be willing to send these to folk who want them, if
the volume doesn't get too great.  It would have to be on a set of disks.
I don't want to send that volume of email out from here.  Contact me if
interested.  (But those with a faster computer than a stock A1000 probably
don't have to wait nearly a day for a new set of fonts to pop out of
MetaFont ;-)

Tom Bruhns
tomb@hplsla.hp.com

dhagen@dsuvax.uucp (Dana Hagen) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun13.062027.16181@news.iastate.edu>, tna37@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
> Hello
>
> I am using ShowDVI by Georg Hessmann (I think).  I would like to add fonts to
> the existing fonts given with the program.  I have access to TeX for Unix and
> am wondering if I could use the fonts with ShowDVI.
>
> Kyle Sterling
>
> Internet: TNA37@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU

I really don't think so.. Maybe TeX for Amiga

                      'bagger

dingebre@imp.es.com (David Ingebretsen) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.064709.9915@dsuvax.uucp>, dhagen@dsuvax.uucp (Dana Hagen) writes:
> In article <1991Jun13.062027.16181@news.iastate.edu>, tna37@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am using ShowDVI by Georg Hessmann (I think).  I would like to add fonts to
> > the existing fonts given with the program.  I have access to TeX for Unix and
> > am wondering if I could use the fonts with ShowDVI.
> >
> > Kyle Sterling
> >
> > Internet: TNA37@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU
>
> I really don't think so.. Maybe TeX for Amiga
>

>                       'bagger

The *.pk* bitmapped fonts are identicle on any system. The problem is
getting them in the correct size. The ShowDVI likes the smaller fonts
for full page viewing, like cmr10.pk91 for a 91 dpi roman font. If you
can find font families starting at about 43 dpi and going up to maybe 180 dpi,
at various magsteps 0, .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and maybe 7 you will be set.
I have found that most UNIX installations have fonts families starting at
120 and 300 dpi. There is an anonymous ftp site at passau.de, (Georg
Hessman's home) that has all the fonts you could ever want. There is a
comprehensive set for the previewer, 120dpi asymetric, 180dpi, and
360 dpi fonts. The ftp address is:

132.231.1.10

This is in germany and the files are large, so plan to get them in several
tries.

The other option is to generate your own using metafont either on your Amiga,
really slow without an accelerator, or on your UNIX system. Both are available and it isn't that terrible to use, just tedious.

David

David Ingebretsen
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corporation
600 Komas Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
(801) 582-5847 x3758

dingebre@es.com