[comp.sys.amiga.applications] PD TeX DVI to Postscript converter?

wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) (06/13/91)

Can anyone tell me if a public domain program exists for the AMIGA which
can convert Tex DVI files to Postscript. I'd appreciate any information I
can get. (If someone has the C code for it, I might be convinced to port it
to the AMIGA.) Thanks.

-wally

(wally@polari.uucp)

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/14/91)

wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) writes:

>Can anyone tell me if a public domain program exists for the AMIGA which
>can convert Tex DVI files to Postscript. I'd appreciate any information I
>can get. (If someone has the C code for it, I might be convinced to port it
>to the AMIGA.) Thanks.

>-wally

>(wally@polari.uucp)

Post all responses, please.  I know of several interested users... myself
included.

-Beej
--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

apm@vipunen.hut.fi (Antti Miettinen) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.164454.19271@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) writes:
>Post all responses, please.  I know of several interested users... myself
>included.

Eh...but it is so dirty...

Ok, ok...I compiled dvips with Burr-Rushing-Pigg GCC. It was no
biggie. Basically when compiler complains, I remove the thing that
caused it. So I end up with something that goes through the compiler
but... :-)

Source and executable can be found at nic.funet.fi
/pub/amiga/new/dvips5399amiga.lzh. Somebody may want to clean it up.

weindlin@motcid.UUCP (Mark L. Weindling) (06/18/91)

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) writes:

>wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) writes:

>>Can anyone tell me if a public domain program exists for the AMIGA which
>>can convert Tex DVI files to Postscript. I'd appreciate any information I
>>can get. (If someone has the C code for it, I might be convinced to port it
>>to the AMIGA.) Thanks.

>Post all responses, please.  I know of several interested users... myself
>included.

Well, being in need of such a beast myself, I ported one.  I would be more
than willing to post the source/executable, but don't have Internet access
or access to comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga; nor would my company much
appreciate multiple transfers of large mail messages.

The program itself is small enough, but there are a *huge* number of gf
font definition files that go with it.  Are these needed, or can everyone
just generate them through Metafont?

Let me know if you want the code, and how I can provide it for everyone
without huge numbers of multi-meg transfers...

				-Mark W.

Mark L. Weindling        | Motorola, Inc., Cellular Infrastructure Division
..!uunet!motcid!weindlin |"Life is both too long and too short to spend
(708) 632-4369           | with any but the best." - R. Underhill

hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun14.164454.19271@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) writes:
>wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) writes:
>

>>Can anyone tell me if a public domain program exists for the AMIGA which
>>can convert Tex DVI files to Postscript. I'd appreciate any information I
>>can get. (If someone has the C code for it, I might be convinced to port it
>>to the AMIGA.) Thanks.
>
>>-wally
>
>>(wally@polari.uucp)
>
>Post all responses, please.  I know of several interested users... myself
>included.

Ok, ok. Now I've had it done. I've ported dvips version 5.47 from
Tomas Rockiki to the AMIGA. It was no great work, I've needed only one
day. :-)

You can get the program from 'ftp.uni-passau.de' (132.231.1.10)
/pub/amiga/tex/AMIGA-dvips547.lzh (144825 bytes).
I want copy the program to ab20... too, but there is no space.

Included in the archive are the patches between the original version
and my AMIGA version. If you want make your own version, get the
UN*X version and apply the patches.
(I've used the SAS C 5.10a)

You will need the UN*X version also, because in my version missing some
not so importand files.

You can get the UN*X version from (e.g.):
Host uxc.cso.uiuc.edu   (128.174.5.50)
    Location: /pub
      FILE      rw-r--r--    244319  Feb  9 09:26   dvips547.tar.Z
Host uunet.uu.net   (192.48.96.2)
    Location: /postscript
      FILE      rw-r--r--    244319  Jan 27 02:14   dvips547.tar.Z
Host rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de   (129.69.1.12)
    Location: /soft/tex/drivers/dvips
      FILE      rw-rw-r--    244319  Mar 18 16:37   dvips547.tar.Z

>-Beej

	Georg.

PS: I've not tested the output, because I don't have a postscript printer
    and I don't have 'post' installed.
    I hope it will work, if not, try the '-d 127' switch and look at the
    output. If you don't find the error, send me an e-mail.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp