[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Editors with AREXX support?

tll@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) (06/06/91)

Which text editors out there support AREXX?  Are any there any PD?
If they are commercial, please include the publisher and
their phone number.

Thank-you,

Tal Lancaster

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (06/07/91)

	I believe that QED has full AREXX support.... it's shareware.
	I'm sure that there are a number of others in shareware and commercial
	but I have not heard of one that is PD yet.  Sorry that I
	can't swear to any other titles... but QED is a favorite among
	a lot of Amigans.

	-Mike-

ryan@amix.commodore.com (Ryan Sheftel) (06/07/91)

tll@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) writes:

> Which text editors out there support AREXX?  Are any there any PD?
> If they are commercial, please include the publisher and
> their phone number.

I use QED. It is shareware but has an increadbly extensive ARExx port and
is reasonably priced. Very good editor too.

----------
Ryan Sheftel

UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!ryan
Internet: undrground!ryan@amix.commodore.com

GHGAQA4@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Tyberghein Jorrit) (06/07/91)

Editors with ARexx support I know :

CygnusEd from ASDG (commercial)
TxED from ? (?)
TurboText from ? (commercial, I think it is not available yet, there
                 is a demo on fish and ab20.larc.nasa.gov)
LSE from SAS (commercial, included with SAS C compliler)

There are probably many others

        Jorrit Tyberghein

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.154001.17888@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, tll@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) writes:
> Which text editors out there support AREXX?  Are any there any PD?
> If they are commercial, please include the publisher and
> their phone number.
>
> Tal Lancaster

The ones I know about are:
	CygnusEd	- ASDG
	TxEd+		- MicroSmiths
	TurboText	- OXXI
	UEdit		- shareware - found on Fish disks, AB20, and MRCserv

TxEd appears to be a dead product now, so you may want to shy away from this
one.  TurboText may not be shipping yet, but there is a demo (mostly
functional) on the Fish, AB20, and MRCserv.

Sorry, but I don't have the phone numbers for any of the publishers handy.  I
suspect that there may be other editors with ARexx ports, but I'm not aware of
them.

Disclaimer:  I own TxEd+ but wouldn't buy it today if I had to make the choice
again.  I would probably go with CygnusEd (aka CEDPro).

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (06/08/91)

In article <22110002@hpmwmat.HP.COM> mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:

	   I believe that QED has full AREXX support.... it's shareware.
	   I'm sure that there are a number of others in shareware and commercial
	   but I have not heard of one that is PD yet.  Sorry that I
	   can't swear to any other titles... but QED is a favorite among
	   a lot of Amigans.

mg3 is PD, and comes with some of the most complete ARexx support
available. DME is PD, and has ARexx support.

	<mike
--
All around my hat, I will wear the green willow.	Mike Meyer
And all around my hat, for a twelve-month and a day.	mwm@pa.dec.com

phil@phd.UUCP (H Phil Duby) (06/08/91)

In article <22110002@hpmwmat.HP.COM> mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:
>       I believe that QED has full AREXX support.... it's shareware.
>       I'm sure that there are a number of others in shareware and commercial
>       but I have not heard of one that is PD yet.  Sorry that I
>       can't swear to any other titles... but QED is a favorite among
>       a lot of Amigans.
DME is PD, and supports AREXX.

H. Phil Duby                     uunet!keyword!calgary!ajfcal!mtroyal!phd!phil
(AMiga Users of Calgary)         AMUCexpress BBS - 650 meg PD Software
Fido net node 1:134/27     (403) 282-5137/5171/5224/5238 3/12/24/24 MNP bps

John_McKechnie@mindlink.bc.ca (John McKechnie) (06/09/91)

CygnusEd Professional by Cygnussoft Software supports AREXX.
It is published by ASDG Inc, 925 Stewart, Madison WI, 53713.
A VERY good editor!

gereon@shadow.ish.de (Gereon Ziegelowski) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun6.154001.17888@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, Tal Lewis Lancaster writes:

> Which text editors out there support AREXX?  Are any there any PD?
> If they are commercial, please include the publisher and
> their phone number.

Hello!

I think DMe from Matthew Dillon has got a ARexx support, and the CygnusEd
Editor from Cygnus Software hast got a ARexx interface, too. When you need
the completly adress, I can send you a E-Mail.

Greets, Gereon

--
Gereon Ziegelowski - Internet: gereon@shadow.ish.de -- gereon@shadow.sub.org
Moltkestr.5 - D-4156 Willich 1 - FRG | Voice +49 2154 2273 /\ FIDO: 2:242/21

rich@documail.UUCP (Rich McCallister) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun6.154001.17888@nntp-server.caltech.edu> tll@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) writes:
>Which text editors out there support AREXX?  Are any there any PD?
>If they are commercial, please include the publisher and
>their phone number.
	Cygnus Ed, available in the US from ASDG of Madison, Wisconsin, has
very good AREXX support. I wrote a talking interface for the blind based on
Cygnus Ed and AREXX - but didn't finish it. The number there is (608)273-6585.

mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) (06/12/91)

>In article <1991Jun6.154001.17888@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, tll@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) writes:
>> Which text editors out there support AREXX?  Are any there any PD?
>> If they are commercial, please include the publisher and
>> their phone number.
>>
>> Tal Lancaster

I am about to release a new version (v1.10) of TEXTRA, the user-friendly
text editor, and this will be the first version with an AREXX port.

The editor also supports drag-select with the mouse, multiple windows,
cut/copy/pst between windows, printing.  Much work placed into the user
interface...most things can be done with no "keyboard" commands.

TEXTRA is written in JForth and is freely distributable.
You can reach me via e-mail or at:
P.O. Box 1051
San Raphael, CA. 94915

I usually post my stuff to BBS's in the SF bay area.

dvp@sequent.com (Dan Vander Ploeg) (06/12/91)

Ed Wilts says:
> Disclaimer:  I own TxEd+ but wouldn't buy it today if I had to make the
> choice again. I would probably go with CygnusEd (aka CEDPro).

I had already put CygnusEd on my list of things to buy when I discovered
it has a nasty habit of silently truncating WordPerfect files.  I assume
it doesn't like the high-order bits WP uses for formatting.  This ruled
it out for me, but otherwise it's a real nice editor.

--

--Danford P. Vander Ploeg    ...!ogicse!sequent!dvp     dvp@sequent.com   _____
==========================================================================|  #|

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (06/13/91)

And don't forget the recently-released TurboText from Oxxi.  TTX has
a great ARexx interface, and you can remap any key on the keyboard to
execute any arbitrary ARexx command string.... leads to some interesting
possibilities.  The interface is much better than CygnusEd's hokey one....

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) (06/13/91)

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) writes:

>And don't forget the recently-released TurboText from Oxxi.  TTX has
>a great ARexx interface, and you can remap any key on the keyboard to
>execute any arbitrary ARexx command string.... leads to some interesting
>possibilities.  The interface is much better than CygnusEd's hokey one....

I second this recommendation.  The ARexx interface is extremely well thought
out and logical.  Not only do the commands have logical, easy-to-remember
names, but the return values are what one would expect/want.  The other
text editors I have tried which support ARexx have been lacking in this
regard; they have offered a simple method of sending commands to the
editor, but retrieving information about the document or editor state
has been of a limited nature.  I have had no such problems with TTX.

Also, the manual is very good.

--
Kari Sutela	sutela@polaris.utu.fi

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) (06/13/91)

In article <DVP.91Jun12120314@crg8.sequent.com> dvp@sequent.com
(Dan Vander Ploeg) writes:

>I had already put CygnusEd on my list of things to buy when I discovered
>it has a nasty habit of silently truncating WordPerfect files.  I assume
>it doesn't like the high-order bits WP uses for formatting.  This ruled
>it out for me, but otherwise it's a real nice editor.

     This sounded strange to me, so last night I tried loading up
several WordPerfect files I had lying around.  They're not too big,
and don't do a lot of fancy stuff, but I always got the whole thing.
Do you have a current version of CygnusEd?  It should be capable of
reading anything at all, regardless of high bits or whatever.  In
fact, you can even read executable binary files and patch them.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (06/14/91)

In article <DVP.91Jun12120314@crg8.sequent.com> dvp@sequent.com (Dan Vander Ploeg) writes:

>I had already put CygnusEd on my list of things to buy when I discovered
>it has a nasty habit of silently truncating WordPerfect files.  I assume
>it doesn't like the high-order bits WP uses for formatting.  This ruled
>it out for me, but otherwise it's a real nice editor.

No, this is no bug! CEDPro only has two real limitations ;-) :

maximum length of a line : 1024 chars
maximum views:               10

So, if you have a WP document with textblocks greater than 1024
chars, you run into problems. Such huge textblocks often occur in
wordprocessors, if a line doesn't end with CR.

--
Wolf Faust       cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: +(49)69-5486556     FIDO: 2:243/43.5

berger@geocub.UUCP (Olivier Berger) (06/26/91)

Hi folks,

I don't know if someone already mentioned it, but I've got a version
of MicroGnuEmacs called mg3beta4 wich enables you to use REXX with it.
Among the applications with supplied rexx scripts, the possibility to
compile the source files without quiting the editor, getting back the
error messages in another buffer.
Of course it's more usefull for people being used to Gnu Emacs, but it
seems worth being used by evrybody.
(Note : if anybody knows of a newer release tha mg3beta4 which was in
the fish disks, please let me know...)

FROM: OLIVIER BERGER			UNIVERSITE DE BORDEAUX I
Administrator of the Bordeaux		LICENCE D'INFORMATIQUE
User Group of Scientific Students	berger@geocub.greco-prog.fr