[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Need DVI Printer & TeX

s8922967@ipc07.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) (06/24/91)

Sorry, don't Know about the DVI bit.

I also would like to know which PD TeX is best for 1m500, I actually have the
PasTeX and CommonTeX but don't really know how to use them, therefore cannot
really evaluate them. Has anyone translated the docs which come with these
programs from German to English ? or have some other docs/tutorial to get
me started. I don't even understand most of the errors that the progs give
when I put the .tex files that come with them thru virtex, etc. S'pose that
I'll have to find that TeX book by Knuth to find out. I also s'pose that I
should ask (FAQ?!) in the TeX group (I assume it exists ?).

Cya, Murray

Murray Gilbert    s8922967@mackay.mqcs.mq.oz.au

No Mining in Antarctica - do you hear America ?

out when I put the files that came with

rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (06/26/91)

s8922967@ipc07.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) writes:

>Sorry, don't Know about the DVI bit.

>I also would like to know which PD TeX is best for 1m500, I actually have the
>PasTeX and CommonTeX but don't really know how to use them, therefore cannot
>really evaluate them.
I have been using PasTeX for a number of months, now, and find it MUCH better
than CommonTeX.  I am a TeX user from UNIX systems before the Amiga, and
PasTeX compares well with the text-based TeX versions for unix machines.

>                       Has anyone translated the docs which come with these
>programs from German to English ? or have some other docs/tutorial to get
>me started.
get the new version of PasTeX from ab20.larc.nasa.gov.  It has the
translated documentation.

>            I don't even understand most of the errors that the progs give
>when I put the .tex files that come with them thru virtex, etc. S'pose that
>I'll have to find that TeX book by Knuth to find out.
unless you want to do some really difficult stuff, don't use plain TeX.  Use
LaTeX instead.  LaTeX is a macro package that runs `on top of' TeX.  LaTeX
is available from a number of sites in the US, and I belive it is also
available from ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au.  Drop me a line if you can't find it,
or install it.

>                                                      I also s'pose that I
>should ask (FAQ?!) in the TeX group (I assume it exists ?).
there are two groups you can look in: aus.tex, and comp.text.tex.

>Cya, Murray
rik.
--
Rik Harris - rik.harris@monash.edu.au              ||  |  |  |\ |  |  \/
+61 3 571-2895 (AH & ans.mach) +61 3 573-2428 (BH) ||  |__|  | \|  |  /\

jcg852@jcsneuro.uucp (John C Gallant) (06/27/91)

I use PasTeX on my Amiga 500 with 1 Meg RAM and a single floppy. I have
to set the memmax/memtop to about 30000 to get it to fit, which is
pretty small. It tends to run out of working space after a few pages.
But it does work - LaTeX works too. I REALLY like the ShowDVI and
DVIPrint programs that come with PasTeX.

If you need more info, send me E-mail:

John Gallant
jcg852@csc1.anu.edu.au

--
Please note "ReplyTo:" field in header; "From:" field is incorrect.

John Gallant

S_ASCHMIDT@iravcl.ira.uka.de (|S| Angela Schmidt) (06/28/91)

In <1991Jun26.044118.7398@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au writes:

> s8922967@ipc07.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) writes:
>
> get the new version of PasTeX from ab20.larc.nasa.gov.  It has the
> translated documentation.
You'll find the latest PasTeX version on FTP 132.231.1.10 pub/amiga/tex
It comes directly from the author. But I don't know if it includes an english
documentation.

> rik.

Angela

Angela Schmidt   Internet: S_ASchmidt@iravcl.ira.uka.de  |        //
(Nessy in IRC)   BITNET:   UK8B@DKAUNI2.BITNET           | Amiga //
                 Phone:    +49 731 712316 & 721 6904-263 |   \\ // only 1000
                           MEZ: (10am-9pm)  (12pm-10pm)  |    \X/ the real one!