[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Powerpacker doesn't crunch commands

GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (Gelson Dias Santos) (06/24/91)

 IN%"amiga-introduction-relay@udel.edu",IN%"amiga-applications-relay@udel.edu"

   I have been playing a bit with the Shareware program PowerPacker 2.3b, by
Nico Francois, and I have some doubts about it's resourses. I'm trying to
crunch the commands in c: directory, but some of them seems to don't work after
crunching.
   I tryied to crunch Ed and Data but both give me an "Unable to load <command>:
insufficient free store" when I try to use them. Then I crunched List, and it
worked fine! I crunched some executable programs (Zoom!, MoviePlayer) and they
worked too.
   I don't think the problem is the file size, because List is larger than Date.
   I have an A500 1.3.2 rev 5 1Mb RAM (512K chip) New Agnus and one external
drive.
   While I'm here; is possible to crunch a DATA file and it auto-decrunch when
used? Maybe with another cruncher?

* Gelson Dias Santos  *  Bitnet/Internet: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  *
* Porto Alegre - RS   *  Sorry, english is not my native language!  *
*       BRAZIL        *           (Alguem fala portugues?)          *
*  Should be working on my taxes but this is more fun... Fred Fish  *

GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) (06/25/91)

In article <57049@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu
(Gelson Dias Santos) says:

> IN%"amiga-introduction-relay@udel.edu",IN%"amiga-applications-relay@udel.edu"
>
>   I have been playing a bit with the Shareware program PowerPacker 2.3b, by
>Nico Francois, and I have some doubts about it's resourses. I'm trying to
>crunch the commands in c: directory, but some of them seems to don't work
>after
>crunching.

Doesn't work 'cos those are really old programs written in BCPL.
These expect some magic when started. PowerPacker 3.0 (the commercial
one) fixes this, you can select a menu option 'bcpl header' which
works fine with these programs. The other features are well worth
the little amount of money. (3.0 is *MUCH* faster to mention one
thing)

>   While I'm here; is possible to crunch a DATA file and it auto-decrunch when
>used? Maybe with another cruncher?

Yes and no, the trouble is that you don't know how the program loads
its data. If the program uses loadseg or asks you for a filename then
this is possible (but not yet publicly available 8^) For text and
graphics you can use PPMore or PPShow.

>* Gelson Dias Santos  *  Bitnet/Internet: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  *
>* Porto Alegre - RS   *  Sorry, english is not my native language!  *
>*       BRAZIL        *           (Alguem fala portugues?)          *
>*  Should be working on my taxes but this is more fun... Fred Fish  *

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (06/25/91)

In article <91175.174130GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be>, GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be
(Ives Aerts) says:

>In article <57049@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu
>(Gelson Dias Santos) says:
>
>>   While I'm here; is possible to crunch a DATA file and it auto-decrunch
>when
>>used? Maybe with another cruncher?
>
>Yes and no, the trouble is that you don't know how the program loads
>its data. If the program uses loadseg or asks you for a filename then
>this is possible (but not yet publicly available 8^) For text and
>graphics you can use PPMore or PPShow.

That's why it would be nice to have a compress device or file system.
With things like lh.library and MSH: the MSDOS file system code flowing
around code,  someone should have came up with one by now...

One advantage with such a file system is that all data and executable files
can be compress regardness of what funny headers they might have.

>>* Gelson Dias Santos  *  Bitnet/Internet: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  *
>>* Porto Alegre - RS   *  Sorry, english is not my native language!  *
>>*       BRAZIL        *           (Alguem fala portugues?)          *
>>*  Should be working on my taxes but this is more fun... Fred Fish  *

K. C. Lee
"Be careful of what you wish.  You might get it."-Master Splinter, T.M.N.T.

breemen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (E. van Breemen) (06/25/91)

In article <91175.174130GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) writes:
>works fine with these programs. The other features are well worth
>the little amount of money. (3.0 is *MUCH* faster to mention one
>thing)

Why use PowerPacker3.0 if there is the Imploder which is for free and is
better in compressionrate and decompressionspeed. The compressionspeed
is (if you have 1Mb) more or less the same.

Erwin van Breemen.

Jon_Wolf@amicol.UUCP (Jon Wolf) (06/30/91)

>From: breemen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (E. van Breemen)
>Why use PowerPacker3.0 if there is the Imploder which is for free and is
>better in compressionrate and decompressionspeed. The compressionspeed
>is (if you have 1Mb) more or less the same.

I have both PowerPacker 3.0b & Imploder 3.1. Imploder is fast and does make
smaller compressed files then PowerPacker (some of the time). But, there is
one VERY important thing to note. I've had Imploader files NOT run until
unImploded. I've even had Imploder corrupt a few files that when unImploded
were trash. PowerPacker on the other hand works reliably. And with
PowerPacker, you can compress IFF & text to be used with PPMore & PPShow.
Also, animations can be crunched & viewed with PPAnim. And you get
Powerpacker.library which can be used by programmers to read/write compressed
files. Given that PowerPacker is only $25, it's worth it. Imploder programs
that don't run generate a  task held requestor. One other thing to note is
that PowerPacked programs will work under AmigaDOS 2.0x. Imploded programs
might not. Also, Powerpacked programs work on the A3000. Imploded prgrams
might not.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

                                </