[comp.sys.amiga.applications] PostScript Wordprocessors

gest_ss@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) (06/29/91)

I am hoping someone out there can help me with a question about two word
processors for my Amiga.  I am looking for a word processor that can handle
PostScript output.

I have narrowed my choices down to two.  Either Excellence 2.0 or ProWrite
3.0  Now my question is, which handles PostScript better?  I know that
earlier versions of Excellence handled PostScript but created a bitmap font
for everything.  The resulting files could be HUGE!  Does Excellence 2.0 now
support PostScript fonts?  Does it support color postscript, etc.

I plan to print this PostScript output on either a Apple LaswerWriter.  I
will have to upload the postscript file to a Macintosh and send the file to
the laserwriter.  Thus I will want the word processor to handle PostScript
fonts since uploading a text file of a bitmap font for large documents would
be a waste.

If anyone has had experience with the printing of PostScript from Excellence
in particular I'd like to hear what you think of it.  Also, how do both
(Excellence and ProWrite) handle screen fonts, what type do they support,
etc.

Oh, also how do both run under 2.0????

Thank you,
Gavin Stark

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun29.025054.26116@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> gest_ss@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) writes:

>I am hoping someone out there can help me with a question about two word
>processors for my Amiga.  I am looking for a word processor that can handle
>PostScript output.
>
>I have narrowed my choices down to two.  Either Excellence 2.0 or ProWrite
>3.0  Now my question is, which handles PostScript better?  I know that
>earlier versions of Excellence handled PostScript but created a bitmap font
>for everything.  The resulting files could be HUGE!  Does Excellence 2.0 now
>support PostScript fonts?  Does it support color postscript, etc.

     Excellence 2.0 comes with 4 PostScript fonts (PTimes, PSymbol {a Greek
font} and two others which I don't remember) and a program to convert the
PostScript fonts included with ProPage to a format Excellence understands.
It supports all Amiga bitmap fonts.  To get *nice* PostScript output you
must use a PostScript font, Amiga bitmap fonts are converted to bitmapped
PostScript and will have large jaggies.  Excellence 2.0 supports color
PostScript, but I don't remember how many colors.

>Oh, also how do both run under 2.0????
>
>Thank you,
>Gavin Stark

     Excellence 2.0 runs great under under 2.0.  It's without a doubt
the best piece of commercial software I own.  I have no complaints about
the actual program.  It's a great word processor.  I might add that
Excellence 2.0 supports VIRTUAL MEMORY with the MMU on the 3000's, so it's
possible to have vary large documents (950+ pages) open at a time.  The one
fly in the ointment is the manual.  Excellence comes with the origional
manual and a 75(?) page addendum.  The manual is not laid out well.  The
main problem with the manual is that the information concerning printing
is spread out through the entire manual rather than all being in one place.
You wind up spending a lot of time hunting through the manual to set up
your printer correctly.  Overall however, I guess I felt it lived up to it's
name fairly well.

				--Latur,
					George
--
George L. Skank			|Five years ago I couldn't spell engineer. ///
Senior, Electrical Engineering	|Now I are one.				  ///