[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Amiga Software Features

benrache@TUSUN2.MCS.UTULSA.EDU (Lofti Benrached) (06/30/91)

After reading the posts about Amiga software features I have decided to mention
just few 'little' things that I think are important. If I ever write a program
good enough to distribute I WILL follow these rules.

	If it opens it's own screen or window it WILL detach from the CLI

	If it opens it's own screen or window Right-Amiga-Q will exit it.
		(I wish DiskMaster would do this (as well as others)

	If a text requester comes up you can immediately start typing, you
		won't need to click in it first.

	If it has menus every selection will have a hot key combination as
		close to 'standard' as I can get.

	All requesters will use the Left-Amiga-v and Left-Amiga-b for
		True/False entry.

As you may guess from reading the above I HATE HAVING TO REACH FOR THE MOUSE
to do something. Some people wonder why I want DM to quit with Right-Amiga-Q
since "you already have your hand on the mouse". It's because when I run out
of memory (I currently have a whopping 1 Meg) and I flip screens (using
Left-Amiga-n & m) and I see DM I want to hit Right-Amiga-Q to quit, not have
to reach for my mouse.

Oh well, enough of these ramblings. It's just been on my mind alot lately.

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/30/91)

Quoted from <9106300547.AA13510@tusun2.mcs.utulsa.edu> by benrache@TUSUN2.MCS.UTULSA.EDU (Lofti Benrached):
> After reading the posts about Amiga software features I have decided to mention
> just few 'little' things that I think are important. If I ever write a program

    A nice feature would be using the PowerPacker library, if it suits
    the data your program works with. It makes some of the module players
    much nicer to use, for example.
--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Endless variations, make it all seem new" - Devo.          ***

jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (07/01/91)

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:

>Quoted from <9106300547.AA13510@tusun2.mcs.utulsa.edu> by benrache@TUSUN2.MCS.UTULSA.EDU (Lofti Benrached):
>> After reading the posts about Amiga software features I have decided to mention
>> just few 'little' things that I think are important. If I ever write a program

>    A nice feature would be using the PowerPacker library, if it suits
>    the data your program works with. It makes some of the module players
>    much nicer to use, for example.

	Yes, I was just thinking about how much nicer AQUARIUM would be if
there was an option to powerpack the datafile.  Of course then it would have
to be loaded into memory and then unpacked, but for those of us with the extra
mem it sure would be nice.  Admittedly updating the files would be extra work.