[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Type-ahead mechanisms

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:

> I prefer the method used in CP-V, namely that the input you type ahead
> does not echo until it is read. Looking at a hardcopy or a screen, you
> cant tell whether any given character was typed ahead or not. --
> Darren

Well, I've tryed type-ahead interfaces that scatter the typed text
through the arriving text, type-ahead that buffers the typed line until
the end of the arriving text, type-ahead that pauses (but continues to
buffer) the arriving text, and type-ahead that pauses (and stops
execution of the task generating) the arriving text. The Amiga method
saves me the errors of typing blind, but it still isn't quite what I
really need.

I don't like the first two, because I'm essentially typing blind.

I like what the Amiga does, but it doesn't go far enough; by the time
I've reached the bottom of the arriving text, I've lost my own context;
I see prompts strung out, but no more indication of what is executing.

What I would _really_ like is for the machine to pause output (while
buffering it) to accept my type-ahead (and let me multitask me with the
machine)l while letting me see what I'm typing, but _also_ print the
command again after the prompt before executing it, so I have some
context of what command is currently executing when I have typed in
several commands in succession.

This shouldn't be too tough, at least in the 1.3 Shell, since the
command is already buffered as text in the history double ended queue,
and it would sure be helpful to me.

Kent, the man from xanth.