[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] EA Software problems

mykes@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (01/16/91)

The bulk of EA's software compatibility problems lie with their copy protection
scheme.  Seems they used the trackdisk.device in some funky way that is not
software compatible with 2.0.  I would think that CBM would want to figure
this one out and fix it.

I do know of one EA product that works great on the 3000 - Budokan, which I
wrote.  I took over the entire machine and wrote my own floppy disk drivers.
I find it kind of ironic that the most unfriendly program you can write for
a machine can be the most upwards compatible.  I went to great lengths to
not violate any of the obvious rules (like CPU loop timing, etc.) and tested
the game on a 68030 machine just to make sure.  I told RJ Mical about how I
wrote Budokan and he told me that the 3000 has a new interrupt structure,
and that had me scared.  But CBM must have done this in a friendly way to
allow Budo and programs like it to work.

By the way, I am one of only a few developers for EA that ever took over the
machine, and I believe it shows in the relatively poor quality of their games.
EA has rarely developed a product that was designed to exploit the Amiga.  The
bulk of their games are weak ports of PC games.  I would sure like to see them
change this by making the bulk of their future games great ports of their
Sega Genesis products.  I hope they get the message...

My opinions may seem harsh, but they are obvious fact to me.  And judging from
what I have read on usenet, many of you don't care for their style either.
But to give EA the credit they deserve, they continue to provide the most
(quantity) titles of any publisher for the Amiga.

Dan Silva no longer works for EA, and despite the amazing success of DPaint
on the Amiga, they only have one programmer working on DPaint IV.  DPaint was
once the best program you could buy for the Amiga, but it has not kept up.  One
of the biggest problems I have with it is that it was cross developed from a
PC and because of that, Dan did not put into it the features that those of us
who use the machine daily see done better in other programs.  The program could
easily have a better file requestor, ARexx, Amiga-keys = pull-down menus,
audio support (to go with animations), custom copper driven displays, and more.
I don't blame Dan for the problems, since he used what EA gave him to use -
a PC.  And it was taking him 3 or 4 minutes turnaround time to see the
smallest of program changes work.

EA had a single programmer working on DPaint IV for the Amiga over a year
ago.  But the programmer was pulled of the Amiga version to work on the
PC version of DPaint II.  I would think it would make more sense to put
4 or 5 programmers on the Amiga version FULL TIME.

If the Amiga community really wanted to see DPaint IV anytime soon, I would
suggest that we each call or write to EA and express ourselves.  Their phone
number is 415-571-7171.  Ask to speak to Trip Hawkins!

Bye

borgen@stud.cs.uit.no (Boerge Noest) (01/18/91)

>In article <1991Jan16.065908.16719@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
>(Mike Schwartz) writes:
[sad things about DPAINT IV]

Hey Mike, if you visit EA HQ would you think about telling Rob Hubbard that
all die-hard C64-lovers still have a soft spot in their hearts for him and
his music(I hear he is rocking ( :-) ) up a storm on the Genesis/Megadrive
these days).
Come back Rob, all is forgiven. (seriously :-) :-) :-) )
--
|///  borgen@stud.cs.uit.no   (Borge Nost)   				 \\\|
|//   ...and then there was AMIGA...					  \\|

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/26/91)

I find it amazing to hear some of my same complaints about Electronic
Arts being echoed by someone who worked for them. I can remember back
when I bought my Amiga in early 86 how EA was ranting on about how it
was the future and they were committed to it. I want to know what
happened to that committment. Programs that were promised at the
beginning never showed (Pinball Construction Set, among others) and
only a few titles have been worth talkin about. F/A-18 was one of
their best and Deluxe Paint was their other good one as well. Beyond
that I can't name many exceptional EA titles except for those from
companies such as Bullfrog who wrote their stuff either from the ST or
the Amiga.

It's a shame too, back in my days of the C-64, I bought ANY game that
EA brought out for the C-64. I was that certain I would like it and I
was rarely disappointed. EA was my favorite game maker. Can't say the
same of them anymore.

				--Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |