[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Internal Drive Button

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (01/26/91)

In article <kherron.664745849@s.ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) writes:
>
>>Wait, no, let me get this straight. I cannot get a new internal drive button
>
>When the drive manufacturers ship the drive, they already have the buttons
>on them.  CBM probably doesn't stock *any* separate drive parts.

  I'm having a similar problem with a part Commodore DID supply.  I broke the
left audio jack on my 3000 (amazing how much leverage you get on it when you
push down on a cable plugged into it..) and couldn't get a new one.  I figured
I'd just go to an authorized repair center and order a replacement but the guy
initially wanted me to replace my motherboard (mega-bucks).  All for a $.05 piece
of molded plasic made in a Korean sweat shop!  Eventually he talked Commodore
(which refused to sell him an audio jack) into doing a warranty motherboard-
swap.  I don't have a problem with this since I'm not paying for it, but I
imagine any profit margin CBM made on my educational buy is out the window..
  Commodore sold me this computer (nice!), they have some minimum obligation
to supply replacement parts.  I mean there's a bin somewhere in their factory
with 100,000 of these things sitting in it!

--
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+
|   // Daryl S. Cantrell                |   These opinions are       |

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (01/27/91)

In a message posted on 25 Jan 91 18:39:25 GMT,
milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) wrote:
DSC>  I'm having a similar problem with a part Commodore DID supply.  I broke the
DSC>left audio jack on my 3000 (amazing how much leverage you get on it when you

A part you can get at a lot of electronics stores - It's not an 'a3000' specific
part.

DSC>initially wanted me to replace my motherboard (mega-bucks).  All for a $.05 piece

Since there is no way you could have owned your Amiga for more than a year I KNOW
your machine was under warranty so this in no way could have cost you any money.

DSC>of molded plasic made in a Korean sweat shop!  Eventually he talked Commodore
DSC>(which refused to sell him an audio jack) into doing a warranty motherboard-
DSC>swap.  I don't have a problem with this since I'm not paying for it, but I

Talked Into ;-)  Ya, right.  It's his JOB as authorized service center to preform
these warranty repairs.  And doing a swap is not something that you have to
'confince' Commodore to do as it's part of their standard warranty service.
  (Actually, until all the Service manuals/etc are ready, it's about the only
option dealers have for some of the more complex repairs (Which your
example is not ;-)  )

:Later

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca