[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Adding Symmetric Multiprocessing to Amiga UNIX.

lron@uunet.uu.net (Dwight Hubbard) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.024542.1@ccvax.iastate.edu>, Marc Barrett writes:

>    It has been discussed before (especially in comp.sys.amiga.hardware)
> that, when a CPU card (such as a 68040 card) is added to the Amiga 3000,
> the 68030 on the motherboard remains available as a coprocessor.
> Unfortunately, neither AmigaOS nor UNIX SysVR4 support multiprocessing,
> so although the 68030 remains available hardware-wise, it is unavailable
> for use because of the system software.

Actually SVR4 does not support Multiprocessing, however SVR4MP which is
supposed to be finished later this year does (MP stands for MultiProccessing)

>    My question is, would it be possible for Commodore to modify their
> version of UNIX SysVR4 to support symmetric multiprocessing?  Although
> this version of UNIX does not support symmetric multiprocessing as it
> is written, other companies -- including Solbourne, Sequent, Corollary,
> Pyramid, Encore, ALR, and Compaq -- have successfully modified older
> versions of AT&T UNIX System V to support symmetric multiprocessing.

SVR4MP is supposed to require both processors to have a shared memory
bus which should be the case with the A3000 with an '040 board.

>    If Commodore could do the same, and add symmetric multiprocessing
> to Amiga UNIX, this would permit both of the processors to be used at
> once in a multiprocessor Amiga 3000.  More importantly, it would allow
> Commodore to join only a handful of other companies that produce
> multiprocessor UNIX workstation systems.  Not only would Commodore have
> a true multiprocessor workstation, but their could market this system
> at less than 1/3 the price of other similar multiprocessor systems.

Yes, question is will the extra overhead from the added support for
MultiProcessing make it worth it.  It might be possible to use the '030
for a I/O coprocessor, but most of the I/O devices on the Amiga are
already inteligent, as an I/O coprocessor the '030 might not have much
to do.
-Dwight Hubbard                     USENET  : easy!lron@uunet.uu.net
-Kaneohe, Hawaii                    CFR     : 31:910/101 (Dwight Hubbard)