[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Trashcans

bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) (01/31/91)

Actually if you watch the way the Trashcan on Macintosh works you will notice
that it *is* associated with the disk the file happens to be on.  I'm not at
all certain of the mechanics of this but try throwing away a file... then look
at the disk it was on, the #K available doesn't change until after you hit the
'empty trash' item or eject the disk or reboot, whatever.  Seems the file is
just moved into the trashcan (another 'directory'?). Another interesting thing
happens when you have a Novell server serving Macintoshes, if you through away
a file on the mac server volume (but don't 'empty trash') the file is still in
the same directory if you look at it from an IBM workstation!

If you are violently opposed to multiple traschcans and you have a hard drive,
try this, move the traschan icon onto the workbench (from sys:) and then delete
the trashcans from all of the floppies you use.  This should do it.  (I'm not
sure because I unfortunatly don't own a hard drive :[)
--
Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa
bheil@scout-po.biz.uiowa.edu         (      College of Business Administration

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (01/31/91)

In article <4223@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) writes:
>If you are violently opposed to multiple traschcans and you have a harddrive,
>try this, move the traschan icon onto the workbench (from sys:)and then delete
>the trashcans from all of the floppies you use.  This should do it.  (I'm not
>sure because I unfortunatly don't own a hard drive :[)

You cannot move an icon from a floppy into the trashcan on another disk in
order to delete it.  You may be able to *copy* the file into the other
trashcan directory, but there will still be a copy of it on the original
disk.

Workbench assumes that you just want to move a file into another directory
without copying when you stay within a volume.  Whenever you drag an icon
across volumes workbench assumes that you want to copy the file (since you
cannot rename across volumes).

So by deleting the trashcans off of all your disks all you would accomplish
would be to disable iconic deletes on those disks.
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.