[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Hey! editor wars

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan28.165534.110@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <t22918.664939482@ursa> t22918@iti.org (Matt Ranney  ) writes:
>                                 [...]
>
>The most common editing action I perform is a single character mistake which
>I backspace over and continue typing.  In vi this requires you to (after the
>mistake) hit the <ESC> to switch modes, then type 'x' to delete the character,
>then type 'a' to go back into insert mode at the end of the line.  All you
>need to do in emacs is hit the backspace key to accomplish the same thing.

                              [...]
>Cutting text in emacs means 'point-and-click', 'ctl-space' (mark), 'point-and-
>click', 'ctl-w' (cut).  Pasting means 'point-and-click', 'ctl-y' (paste).
>Since vi doesn't have any X hooks, you would spend all your time in vi getting
>your cursor positioned at the point of paste-buffer insertion (j-j-j-j-j-j-j-
>l-l-l-l-l, etc).
>
>I can't believe I just fired a salvo in an editor war  ;^).  I know there's a
       ^^^^
      Neither can I, but here it goes anyway.  ;-)

Ok, first of all: backspace while typing works just fine in VI (that's
pronounced vee eye BTW). I'll try it now. ok, still works.

Now, as for the cursor positoning. Sure sounds neat, but with some
clever programming with some term programs, the same thing is possible
with VI. Try out VLT on your favorite UNIX box with VI with the mouse
controlled cursor active. Works just great for putting the cursor
where ever I want it. Click, click just like AZ. Text blocking with this
method is a wee bit tougher though...

(Blam! Hit, A-10!!)  <---like battleship aka editor wars

>--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

==Brett       ...uupsi!cci632!sjfc!bpv9073