[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Workbench 2.0

bryand@tektronix.TEK.COM (Bryan Duff) (02/06/91)

huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) writes:

>You probably don't want to hear this but....

Not necessarily true ...

>I just installed Windows 3.0 on a 386. The installation procedure
>was really very easy - not only would it ask you before it changed
>the autoexec/startup but it had the option of editing the changes
>before they happened, or saving the changed file with a different
>name so as to allow you to look at it and import only the changes
>you wanted.

True, installing windows on a machine that has everything it's
going to have in it is fairly straight forward - I helped
a friend do this -

>Now Windows 3.0's installation procedure probably had more work
>put into it than Workbench 2.0 or System 7's entire OS, but it
>was still something to aspire to.

Now please remember that Windows is will probably need to be
totally reinstalled if there is any hardware change.  If interupts
are fooled with it can even be a bigger hassle.  Don't forget
all those drivers that have to be installed for each piece of
software.  This is the driving reason behind the 'ease' developed
by MS to install.  If it were any more difficult the 'average
user might get lost.

>--
>**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
>** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies
>** Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz ||       with too many lawyers.

| Bryan Duff     | bryand@tektronix.tek.com
| Network Systems|
.
.
.
.
.

huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) (02/06/91)

In article <21202@tektronix.TEK.COM> bryand@tektronix.TEK.COM (Bryan Duff) writes:

>huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) writes:
>

>>You probably don't want to hear this but....
>
>Not necessarily true ...
>
>>I just installed Windows 3.0 on a 386. The installation procedure

Could you please be careful with the attribution lines.  I never
installed Windows on anything and have no opinions on the matter.

I wouldn't normally care, but there was a essence of flame in that
reply.

--
| Robert E. Huebner                   | "Death is nature's way of telling  |
| huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu           |  you to slow down"                 |