[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] WB2.0 for non-A3000

huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) (02/07/91)

In article <jms.2616@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:

>So you seem to be saying that [2.0] ROMs for a 2000 wouldn't work in a 500.
>Why not?

I can't think of any reason why not.  After this whole 2.0 2000 vs. 500
thing started about 5 months ago (when the chips were due out RSN), I
posted a similar question on Plink and got a reply from a Commodore
person (sorry, no longer have the exact name/address) that said that
the ROMS will be compatible with the 500 and when you do to your machine
is strictly between you and your "chip doctor".  We already know that
the 1Meg Agnus works on 500's, and I suspect the Denise does as well
(neither of which are technically necessary for 2.0 operation. right?)

I think Commodore's decision now is mainly whether to ship 500's with
Kickstart 2.0.  Like it or not, the 500 is purchased mainly for game
use by most people, and 2.0 would cause these people untold grief.
Perhaps this will become another difference between the 500C and 500P
models.
--
| Robert E. Huebner                   | "Death is nature's way of telling  |
| huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu           |  you to slow down"                 |