[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] ST or Amiga?

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (02/09/91)

Well, I am proud to say that my first computer was the Atari 1200XL.  It
was a good solid machine.  Then it started to die.  That is when I sold
it and got the Commodore 64(yeah, remember those?).  It too was a solid
machine.  Then it came time for me to choose a 16-bit computer.  The
choice for me was either an ST or the Amiga.

I looked at my past isues of Atari and Commodore magazines.  Both had
information about the STs and the Amigas.  The thing that attracted me
to the Amiga was its graphics(color) and multitasking.  Another reason
was because I knew that the 8-bit Ataris were dead and wasn't sure when
the STs will be gone.

I then made my big decision and bought the Amiga without having seen
either an ST or an Amiga.  I like my workbench... that is until I
recently had the opportunity to use the ST... now I LOVE my workbench...
and my Amiga.

The ST TOS was really clunky.  I didn't like the feel of the ST mouse.
The machine itself is pretty good but the OS is not quite up there.
Also someone said that multitasking is OVERPLAYED by Amiga users.  Well,
you probably have never used a multitasking machine and don't know how
fun it is.  Let's just say that I will NEVER go back to single-tasking!

If your choice is between buying an ST or an Amiga, get the Amiga.  You
might say that it is biased coming from an Amiga owner but I have
friends that have STs and they wish that they bought the Amiga.  If you
don't believe me, go to a dealer near you(or a friend that has one) and
try out the ST and the Amiga.  Then try multitasking.  Well, you should
have chosen your computer by now.  I'm not saying that Amiga is for
everyone but given the choice between the ST or the Amiga, Amiga is a
better way to go.

Good luck with your decision.

                                     Sun...

| Carnegie Mellon University                           Sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu |
|                                                                           |
| Disclaimer: Anything I say can and will be used against you.   :-)   :-)  |
(.sig file version 2.4)

dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/10/91)

In article <QbguFhK00WB2AOZmBN@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) writes:
>Well, I am proud to say that my first computer was the Atari 1200XL.  It
>was a good solid machine.  Then it started to die.  That is when I sold
>it and got the Commodore 64(yeah, remember those?).  It too was a solid
>machine.  Then it came time for me to choose a 16-bit computer.  The
>choice for me was either an ST or the Amiga.
>
>I looked at my past isues of Atari and Commodore magazines.  Both had
>information about the STs and the Amigas.  The thing that attracted me
>to the Amiga was its graphics(color) and multitasking.  Another reason
>was because I knew that the 8-bit Ataris were dead and wasn't sure when
>the STs will be gone.
>
>I then made my big decision and bought the Amiga without having seen
>either an ST or an Amiga.  I like my workbench... that is until I
>recently had the opportunity to use the ST... now I LOVE my workbench...
>and my Amiga.
>
>The ST TOS was really clunky.  I didn't like the feel of the ST mouse.
>The machine itself is pretty good but the OS is not quite up there.
>Also someone said that multitasking is OVERPLAYED by Amiga users.  Well,
>you probably have never used a multitasking machine and don't know how
>fun it is.  Let's just say that I will NEVER go back to single-tasking!
>
>If your choice is between buying an ST or an Amiga, get the Amiga.  You
>might say that it is biased coming from an Amiga owner but I have
>friends that have STs and they wish that they bought the Amiga.  If you
>don't believe me, go to a dealer near you(or a friend that has one) and
>try out the ST and the Amiga.  Then try multitasking.  Well, you should
>have chosen your computer by now.  I'm not saying that Amiga is for
>everyone but given the choice between the ST or the Amiga, Amiga is a
>better way to go.
>
>Good luck with your decision.

  You have to admit though, the ST does have some really good MIDI and 3D
software. What are you afraid of? Just admit it. And how do I know? I run
that software every day with my ST Emulator on my Amiga (while I am not using
my Macintosh emulator). I hate the Mac now. Forget to format a disk and you
go nuts; Macs shouldn't be sold without hard drives either (I have sore
wrists from all of the disk swapping just to insert a new disk or click on a
window).

  And it is an outright FALICY to say that the ST software doesn't multitask.
Why does this surprise you? Well, there is an Atari ST emulator for the Amiga
that lets you run two ST programs as well as Amiga software at the sametime!
(brainSTorm by MAST). Well, you might say that ST emulators cost money, and
you may as well buy the real thing. But the Cameleon ST emulator only costs
$30, so money is no object. (Other ST emulator: Medusa)

  Amiga, she's the one. :)