[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] How other GUIs handle deletion.

eww@engr.ucf.edu (Mr. Eric W. Wampner) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb2.160133.24350@news.iastate.edu> geff@iastate.edu (Underwood Geoffrey Dale) writes:
>Amiga --
>	I don't know how the Amiga trashcan works.  Would somebody mind
>posting an explanation?

<stuff deleted>
Pretend this a C switch, and I forgot to use break.
Substitute "Cute Black Hole which swirls," for "Ugly Standard Trashcan"
Substitute ~/NeXT/.NeXTtrash for dev:Trashcan, only one user!

>NeXT --
>	When a file icon is placed in the Black Hole (or Recycler in 2.0), the
>Workspace moves the file to ~/.NeXT/.NeXTtrash.  For those readers unfamiliar
>with UNIX conventions, "~" is the current user's home directory -- one user,
>one Black Hole.
>	Since files are placed in a special directory, it is easy to find out
>whether or not files are in the Black Hole.  Because of this, almost-deleted
>files are kept until explicitly purged.

<point of conversation deleted :>

Eric Wampner
eww@heretic.engr.ucf.edu

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (02/10/91)

>Substitute "Cute Black Hole which swirls," for "Ugly Standard Trashcan"
>Substitute ~/NeXT/.NeXTtrash for dev:Trashcan, only one user!
>
>>NeXT --
>>	When a file icon is placed in the Black Hole (or Recycler in 2.0), the
>>Workspace moves the file to ~/.NeXT/.NeXTtrash.  For those readers unfamiliar
>>with UNIX conventions, "~" is the current user's home directory -- one user,
>>one Black Hole.

These are the luxuries of having a hard drive an obligatory part
of the computer system.  Machines which have a significant
portion of the installed base floppy-bound  (e.g., Amiga, Mac,
IBM clones, Atari...)  would find the NeXT's system impossibly
annoying  (though it's ideal for a computer in NeXT's
situation).  Indeed, occasionally Macs demand long-since put
away diskettes before they permit shutdown of the system, and
that *is* impossibly annoying.

Ditto the multiple users/multiple waste directories.  Ideal for
a Unix multiuser system, silly for a single-user system like the
above-mentioned PCs.  Does anyone know what Open Look does?
(perhaps a businesslike, straightforward DELETE item on the menu
for Serious Users who mean DELETE when they say it, dammit!)

>Eric Wampner
>eww@heretic.engr.ucf.edu

Charmed, I'm sure   :*)

--
   //  / Thom Cleland                       / It is easier        /
  //  / tcleland@ucsd.edu                  / to get forgiveness  /

In article <16516@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
> Does anyone know what Open Look does?

Open Look doesn't *have* a visual shell like Workbench or Finder. Open Look
is a *style guide* for X applications. Open Look and Motif both... it's as
if there were competing style guides.

I'm sure there's some hacker working on the Desert Storm shell, with a variety
of missiles and bombs to take out files, directories, and whole partitions
with surgical precision and minimal incidental casualties...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.