[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga v. NeXt

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb10.010110.11187@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>[...]
>So why would someone go with the A3000UX [instead of a NeXT]?
>
> [...]
>
>Point one might be valid, but what would one put in the A3000UX that
>one doesn't get standard on the NeXT? Is there actually an application
>for the slots in the A3000 with UNIX (which wipes out things like the
>Video Toaster)?

Why shouldn't the Video Toaster be a factor in deciding between an A3000UX and
a NeXT?  The A3000UX is, after all still an Amiga, still includes AmigOS, and
still provides access to all the peripherals and software now available for
the regular A3000.  Perhaps the Video Toaster isn't now compatable with the
A3000UX's Unix, but I would expect that NewTek will fix any incompatabilities
that arise (as well as the physical problems associated with a 3000 + Toaster
combination).

--
Dave Schaumann      | DANGER: Access hole may tear easily.  Use of the access
dave@cs.arizona.edu | carton and subsequent injury to the user.

In article <830@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
> Why shouldn't the Video Toaster be a factor in deciding between an A3000UX and
> a NeXT?

I dunno. If you're using the Toaster, or anything else that runs real-time, you
would be crazy to load your Amiga down with UNIX. UNIX, particularly that
mongrel variant known as SVR4, is *not* a real-time operating system.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.